Tough encounter in Helensburgh for Under-14s

Oban Lorne Under 14s line up before their game on Saturday at Helensburgh.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Helensburgh Under-14s 18-13 Oban Lorne Under-14s

Oban U14s travelled to Helensburgh on Sunday to take on strong opponents that they had lost to earlier in the season 14-30.

A tough game was expected and a tough game was had.

Helensburgh kicked off and a tremendous run by Ruairidh Rankin sparked a good start by the away side. Dougie Brown gathered a loose ball from a line out and beat three defenders on a surging run over the try line. The ball was knocked out of his hands but Beinn Grey was quick to react and touched down for the first try, converted by Cammy Crowe, to give Oban a 0-4 lead.

The next period of play saw Helensburgh come back into the game scoring a converted try to make the score 4-4.

From the restart Franeck Kupczak bulldozed his way through three despairing tacklers before going to ground. Having drawn in the defence, Joe Corns moved the ball quickly right where the ball was recycled quickly by Donald MacCormick. Two quick passes from Joe Corns and Cammy Crowe sent winger Archie Johnston in for a try.

The next 10 minutes were evenly contested with the defences coming out on top and Oban dropping the ball on three occasions when it seemed they would score.

After a couple of penalties Oban worked their way into the Helensburgh 22 where a well planned line out move saw Cammy Crowe charge over for another unconverted try.

Helensburgh began to exert some pressure of their own, which eventually led unconverted try, closing the gap to 7-10.

Oban raised their game once again and scored from yet another rampaging run from  Franeck Kupczak, who charged over the line with two players hanging on to him.

Unfortunately Oban tired in the closing stages of the match whilst Helensburgh were able to utilise their large squad to bring on fresh legs which saw them run in three further tries, converting two to make the the final score 18-13.

This was a great game to watch, on another day opportunities would have been taken and the result may have been different.

The whole team played very well with the forwards in particular executing their set plays from the training field very well.  In the backs, Hamish Macintyre put in a man of the match performance.