Cup ties ahead after disappointing weekend

An Oban Celtic player makes sure the referee cannot miss a slight push in the back by Inveraray's Craig Taylor. Photograph: Andrew Sinclair

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now
In shinty’s new cup competition for clubs with a single team, Kilmory played host to Col Glen in the first round at Macrae Park.

Former Skye player Sandy Paterson gave Col Glen the lead on seven minutes and James Hamilton added a second on 35 minutes.

Andrew MacVicar’s brace on 48 and 73 minutes completed the victory to send the Glendaruel side into the next round with a 4-0 victory.

Kilmory have another cup tie to look forward to when they entertain the English Shinty Association at home on Saturday April 30 in the Bullough Cup first round.

Inveraray juniors, meanwhile, were on Mowi South Division Two league business.

Facing Oban Celtic juniors on a fine day at the Winterton, everything was set for an entertaining game in front of a good crowd.

Gabriel Tidser fired Oban Celtic ahead in the 10th minute, but Inveraray replied two minutes later through Allan MacDonald.

The Inveraray goalkeeper was putting in a power of work as Oban Celtic’s young forwards caused the Aray defence all sorts of problems, but their resistance broke on 30 minutes when Ewan Campbell scored for the visitors to give them a half-time lead.

As Inveraray pushed for a second-half equaliser, it was Oban Celtic who managed to snatch a second goal in the 66th minute, again through Ewan Campbell.

Celtic wrapped up the game late on when Duncan McEwan got the goal his play deserved.

Inveraray’s Craig Taylor was sent off a minute from time by referee Euan Pearson.

The road to Mossfield begins this Saturday with the Artemis Macaulay Cup first round, as Inveraray seniors welcome Col Glen to the Winterton for the second time in a fortnight following their Celtic Cup meeting in Mid April – which Inveraray won 4-0.

The senior game at the Winterton will be preceded by Inveraray second team versus Kyles juniors in the Bullough Cup, with a midday throw-up for the earlier match.

All other matches start at 2.30pm.