The shinty round up – Saturday April 16 2022

Arik MacKechnie, Cruachanside, battles with Marcus Keith, Kyles, in the match at Taynuilt. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

The north and south regional cup competitions reached the quarter-final stage on Saturday April 16.

South shinty

Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup quarter-finals

Bute 0 Oban Camanachd 5

Oban Camanachd bounced back from the previous week’s defeat to Kyles Athletic by beating Bute 5-0 in their 3pm throw-up in front of a good-sized crowd at the Meadows.

Oban Camanachd travelled without David Cameron and Scott MacMillan, who were working, whilst injury continued to rule out Garry Lord. Daniel Sloss started at full back.

The Oban side attacked from early on and when Louie MacFarlane found space on the Oban right on 28 minutes he finished low into the net on his back-hand to give the visitors the lead.

Malcolm Clark doubled Oban Camanachd’s lead a minute later after the ball came to him on the right of the penalty spot. Clark’s initial shot was blocked by a defender but Clark struck again, scoring to the keeper’s right.

Bute keeper Stewart Stirling made a wonderful double save near the break. First he stopped Malcolm Clark’s effort with his foot before turning Daniel MacVicar’s strike from the rebound over the bar, earning warm applause from both sets of supporters.

Bute came more into it from the re-start but Louie MacFarlane got his second on the hour, finishing well to make it 3-0.

Oban Camanachd were moving the ball quickly and Malcolm Clark got his second on 65 minutes when he took a free-hit from the right of the ‘D’, playing a pass to Daniel Cameron whose shot was blocked. The ball came back to Malcolm Clark who hit it on his left side, low and hard, beating keeper at his near post.

There was to be no hat-trick opportunity for Malcolm Clark though. He was hit on the ankle late in the first half and although he continued, he was clearly troubled by the knock and had to be replaced by Connor Howe.

Ross Campbell, who had been feeling a tightness in his hamstring, rounded off the win on 75 minutes as he knocked the ball by the advancing keeper.

Daniel MacVicar went close to adding to Oban Camanachd’s lead on several occasions but was foiled by a combination of good goalkeeping and near misses.

Oban Camanachd manager Gareth Evans said: ‘I’m happy enough with that. We scored a few goals, kept a clean sheet and got a tricky tie out of the way. Bute defended well, so we had to work hard for our goals.

‘We now have Kyles Athletic in the semi-finals at Tighnabruaich on Saturday May 14 which will be a big game.

‘We are away to Kilmallie in the league this Saturday. Garry Lord will still be missing and it looks as if Malcolm Clark is out too, which is a blow.’

Cruachanside 1 Kyles Athletic 6

Kyles Athletic manager Roberts Baxter played some of his younger players against Cruachanside at Taynuilt Sports Field and they rewarded him with a 6-1 win.

With Robbie Macleod and Liam Arnott unavailable and Callum Millar injured, Roddy MacDonald was Kyles Athletic’s only substitute.

Kyles, captained by Innes MacDonald this season, took the initiative and Martin MacFadyen put them ahead on 28 minutes. Finan Kennedy on 34 minutes and Scott MacDonald on 44 minutes added to their tally to make it 3-0 at the interval.

Scott MacDonald got his second three minutes into the second half but Cruachanside’s  Kyle MacFarlane pulled a goal back on 52 minutes to make it 4-1.

However, Martin MacFadyen on 68 minutes and Scott MacDonald on 80 minutes both got their second goals of the afternoon to seal the 6-1 win.

Cruachanside keeper George Reid moves in to stop Martin McFadyen, Kyles. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.
Martin McFadyen, Kyles, celebrates opening the scoring at Taynuilt. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Inveraray 4 Col Glen 0

Inveraray scored four times in the second half to beat Col Glen 4-0 at the Winterton.

Col Glen defended well from the start with the opening 45 minutes finishing goalless.

Ross MacMillan starred for Inveraray in defence in the previous week’s win at Strathglass and he got Inveraray the goal they wanted a minute after half time when he got by his marker to score at the front post.

Fraser Watt added a second on 49 minutes when he gathered a pass and made space before scoring.

Campbell Watt was quickly in on a rebound on 53 minutes after Fraser Watt’s shot was saved and Ross MacMillan’s second on 66 minutes, a powerful shot high into the net, made the final score 4-0.

Oban Celtic travel to Lochaber for their Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup first round tie on Saturday.

Glasgow Mid Argyll P Oban Celtic P

Glasgow Mid Argyll’s tie with Oban Celtic at Peterson Park was postponed.

Mowi South Division 1

Kyles Athletic 0 Lochside Rovers 3

Lochside Rovers recorded their first league win of the season, beating the Kyles Athletic juniors 3-0 at Tighnabruaich.

Both teams were short of their regular side with Lochside travelling with a particularly young team.

Innes Jackson scored the only goal of the first half on 28 minutes. Matthew Sloss doubled Lochside’s lead on 65 minutes with Innes Jackson making it 3-0 on 73 minutes.

Lochside fielded Cammy MacMillan at full back and he had a very good game.

Glasgow Mid Argyll 2 Ballachulish 1

The Glasgow Mid Argyll (GMA) second team edged out Ballachulish 2-1 in their noon throw-up at Peterson Park.

Seb MacMillan gave GMA the lead on seven minutes and Calum McLay added a second four minutes before the break.

David Grant pulled a goal back on 55 minutes but the Glasgow side stayed in front to take both points.

Mowi South Division 2

Bute 7 Uddingston 0

Rory MacDonald scored four times as the Bute seconds beat Uddingston 7-0 in their noon throw-up at the Meadows.

Rory McDonald opened the scoring on seven minutes, with Neil McKirdy doubling the islanders’ advantage a minute later.

Neil McKirdy got his second on 25 minutes, with Rory McDonald doing likewise on 35 minutes from the penalty spot after referee Craig Scott had awarded the home side a spot-hit.

Rory McDonald took his tally to four goals with efforts on 48 and 65 minutes and William Boag scored on 68 minutes to complete the 7-0 rout.

Strachur-Dunoon P Kilmory P

The game between Strachur-Dunoon and Kilmory was postponed and will be rescheduled.

North shinty MacTavish Cup quarter-finals

Fort William 0 Caberfeidh 3

Caberfeidh reached the MacTavish Cup semi-finals for the second successive season with a 3-0 win over Fort William in their 3pm throw-up at An Aird.

Fort William missed the suspended Arran MacPhee, whilst Caberfeidh’s Ryan Symonds returned from his ban.

Despite Fort William starting well, it was Caberfeidh who took the lead on five minutes. Blair Morrison’s ball out of defence found Craig Morrison in a central area with his back to goal. His shot was deflected to Colin MacLennan on the right who fired the ball low across keeper Paul MacKay into the far corner of the net.

Craig Morrison got Caberfeidh’s second on 44 minutes when his turn and shot from 20 yards beat keeper MacKay on his right side.

Almost immediately from the re-start, Caberfeidh worked the ball upfield and when a shot deflected to Kevin Bartlett in a central position, he made space before striking a shot on his left side, sending it low inside the keeper’s left post.

Caberfeidh boss Jodi Gorski said: ‘It was a bit of a struggle in the first half as the wind made it difficult to clear our lines but we scored three good goals and we could have had more in the second half but their keeper Paul MacKay made some great saves.’

Fort William co-manager Victor Smith added: ‘We’re really disappointed to lose 3-0. Caberfeidh are a big, strong, physical team who are sharp up front, whilst we were light this week. We have Kinlochshiel here at An Aird in the league on Saturday and we’ll regroup for that.’

A long, easy stroke from Fort William’s Craig Macdonald lobs the ball away from Caberfeidh’s Jamie Mackintosh. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,
Patrick MacNeil makes an unconventional tackle over Keiron Macpherson during the Fort William v Caberfeidh match at the weekend. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,

Skye Camanachd 4 Beauly 0

Skye Camanachd beat Beauly 4-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye manager Kenny Macleod gave Neil MacVicar his first start since his return from Kyles Athletic. He took the full centre role, with Will Cowie full forward.

Beauly co-managers Gregor MacCormick and Niall MacLennan were without MacKay Murray so Lennox Stewart started in goal. A hamstring problem ruled out David MacLean but Jack MacDonald was included as he recovers from injury.

Beauly, opening with a strong wind in their favour, dominated the early stages but it was Skye who opened the scoring on 18 minutes. Clever play from Danny Morrison saw him shoot goalwards. Lennox Stewart saved but as the rebound rose into the air, Ally ‘Cleodi’ MacLeod ran in from the right and touched the ball into the net at the keeper’s right post.

Ross Gordon added a second on 27 minutes after Beauly failed to clear their lines and James Pringle sent Gordon running towards the right of the ‘D’. With the keeper coming off his line, Gordon calmly slotted the ball into the net.

Skye brought Jordan Murchison on for an injured Ross Gordon early in the second half and it was Murchison who added Skye’s third on 63 minutes. Another substitute, Sam Macphee, played a hit-in from the left and Ross MacKinnon forced a save from Lennox Stewart but Jordan Murchison reacted before the Beauly defence to score.

Ross Forbes missed a good opportunity for the visitors as he sent a shot wide of Skye keeper Murphy Henderson’s left post.

Jordan Murchison got his second on 75 minutes when he exchanged passes with James Pringle before tucking the ball low into the net from a tight angle on the right. Pringle was being fouled as he released the ball but referee Iain Kennedy played advantage.

Skye are now the only non-top flight club in the MacTavish Cup semi-final draw.

Beauly’s Sandy Elrick with Alasdair MacLeod, Skye. Photograph: Neil Paterson.
Beauly’s Colin Macdonald in a tussle with Neil MacVicar, Skye. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Newtonmore 2 Kingussie 3, after extra time

It took extra time to separate Newtonmore and Kingussie at the Eilan before Kingussie  eventually won 3-2.

James Falconer put Kingussie ahead with the only goal of the first half on 23 minutes, winning possession on the left of the ‘D’ before whipping the ball into the net.

It looked good for Kingussie when Roddy Young made it 2-0 on 51 minutes. Young ran onto James Falconer’s ball forward and evaded a couple of challenges on the left before crashing the ball high into the net on his back hand.

Fraser MacKintosh pulled a goal back five minutes later, turning home a rebound after keeper Rory MacGregor had saved when the Kingussie defence failed to clear a Michael Russell corner from the right.

And it was all square when Max Campbell fired low into the net from outside the ‘D’ to the left on 72 minutes.

With no further scoring, referee Calum Girvan took the tie into extra time period and Savio Genini bagged what proved to be the winner on 101 minutes. Genini gathered Alexander Michie’s long free-hit on the right before turning quickly and shooting low into the net on his back hand to send Kingussie through.

Lovat P Kilmallie P

The meeting between Lovat and Kilmallie at Balgate was postponed because of covid restrictions affecting the visitors.

Single team club competition – first round

Lochcarron 3 Aberdeen University 0

Father and son Gregor and Kenny Cushnie helped Lochcarron to a 3-0 win over Aberdeen University at Battery Park in the first tie of shinty’s new single team club competition.

Veteran Gregor Cushnie broke the deadlock on 61 minutes with Kenny Cushnie making  it 2-0 on 76 minutes.

Gregor Cushnie got his second with five minutes remaining to send Lochcarron through to the next round.

Glengarry w/o v Strathspey Camanachd

Glengarry were given a walkover when Strathspey Camanachd were unable to field a team for their tie at Craigard.

Mowi North Division 1

Skye Camanachd 4 Caberfeidh 0

The Skye Camanachd reserves beat the Caberfeidh reserves 4-0 in their noon throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Caberfeidh enjoyed early possession before Ruaraidh MacLeod’s turn and bouncing shot gave Skye the lead on eight minutes.

It was Ruaraidh MacLeod again a couple of minutes after the re-start and he completed his hat-trick on 64 minutes, turning home a rebound after keeper John Ritchie had saved from Ally Macleod.

With a couple of minutes remaining, Angus Gilpin scored the goal of the game. Ruaraidh MacLeod ran at the Caberfeidh defence and his ball was taken waist-high by Gilpin who flicked the ball in the air before smashing a first time volley past the keeper to make it 4-0.

Lovat 3 Glengarry 5

When Glengarry were given a bye in their single team club competition first round tie against Strathspey Camanachd, they brought forward a league meeting with the Lovat seconds and it proved to be an exciting encounter.

Glengarry made an impressive start, scoring three goals in the opening 15 minutes.

Raymond Robertson on two minutes, Nick Dalgety on 11 minutes and Raymond Robertson on 15 minutes did the damage.

Lovat player/manager Raymond Rennie pulled a goal back a couple of minutes later, only for Nick Dalgety to get his second on 31 minutes to restore Glengarry’s three-goal cushion.

However, when referee Steven MacLachlan awarded Lovat penalties on 42 and 63 minutes, Raymond Rennie stepped up to convert on both occasions, completing his hat-trick, making the score 4-3.

But Kenneth Henderson eased any Glengarry nerves with a goal on 65 minutes. The win takes Glengarry to the top of Mowi North Division 1.

Inverness 2 Kinlochshiel 4

The Kinlochshiel second team beat the Inverness first team 4-2 at the Bught Park.

Archie MacRae scored on 13 and 29 minutes, either side of Rory Slaughter’s 26th minute effort, to give Kinlochshiel a 3-0 lead at the break.

Rory Slaughter got his second on 53 minutes to make it 4-0, although Inverness went on to eventually half the visitor’s final winning margin through Charlie MacDonald on 56 minutes and Stephen Bellshaw on 82 minutes.

Fort William P Newtonmore P

The noon throw-up between the Fort William seconds and the Newtonmore seconds at An Aird was called off due to covid.

Glenurquhart P Kingussie P

The game between the Glenurquhart colts and the Kingussie colts at Blairbeg was a covid postponement.

Mowi North Division 2

Strathglass 4 Lewis Camanachd 0

The Strathglass colts scored twice in each half to defeat Lewis Camanachd 4-0 in their 1pm throw-up at Cannich.

Darren Reid rolled back the years with the opener on four minutes, with James Ross making it 2-0 on 22 minutes.

It was James Ross again on 52 minutes and Ross set up Lewis Douglas to add a fourth on 65 minutes.

Kilmallie w/o v Beauly

The Kilmallie seconds were awarded the points when the Beauly seconds were unable to field a team for the second time this season at Canal Parks.