Saints U13s continue to fight in Glasgow and District Youth Football League

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Oban Saints U13 1 – 7 Scotland Boys Club U13

The youngest Oban Saints youth team continued its tough maiden journey in the Glasgow and District Youth Football League at the Oban High School all-weather park on Sunday January 16.

The young Saints, who are sponsored by the Soroba House Bar and Restaurant for training jackets, Travis Perkins for its new away strips and Halfway House for home strips, have been using this season as a transition year into the highly competitive Glasgow league structure.

Like many rural teams across Scotland, the impact of Covid restrictions has affected the team. But the squad of 28 players work hard every week and continue to show steady signs of improvement.

In the first half of this match, Saints never got going and gave their opposition far too much time and respect, leading to a heavy 7 -0 deficit going into the break. Highlights were a few passing and moving attacks starting to come off as the period came to a close.

The half-time talk from coaches Steven Macintyre, Colin Campbell, David MacLennan and Andy Hunt focused on attitude and desire to win the ball, specifically 50/50 challenges.

The second half saw both of the above improve, leading to a much better team performance, with the young saints scoring the only goal of the half. Krishnan Davidson took the honours after a rebound off the bar from Alfie Macintyre’s shot. Spectators sepent time debating whether it crossed the line or not before being smashed into the net.

This was the first full competitive league game since the team came back after the festive holidays so hopefully they will get up to full speed in the second half of the season.