Under-strength Lochaber power through to win

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

A lack of forwards meant two players moving out of position for Saturday’s league clash against Hyndland at Banavie.

But despite the weight disadvantage at the scrum, the hosts showed plenty forward thinking to come away with an impressive 61-0 victory.

Lochaber’s first points came after just a few minutes when Matt Murray intercepted a Hyndland pass a metre from his own line which he duly crossed to touch down.

Lochaber were in for their second after just eight-and-a-half minutes. From a lineout, the backs ran a set move which put Euan Larter clean through to score.

Larter got himself involved in the next try too, offloading in the tackle to Jack Hamilton who ran in for a try under the posts.

Captain Callum MacDonald secured the bonus point after taking a short ball at pace 30m out, beating the first defender, before stepping the fullback. He was tackled just before the line but momentum took him over to score.

Lochaber’s fifth try came from the restart with Larter getting a clear run from outside the 22 to score under the posts.

Hyndland looked to finish the first half with points of their own but some resolute defending by Lochaber eventually led to a knock on allowing Lochaber to clear their lines.

Ryan Davies was 100 per cent with the boot converting all five Lochaber tries to make it 35-0 at half-time.

A cheeky short restart saw the rout continue after the break with Conor Taylor finishing of a well-orchestrated passage between forwards and backs.

Hyndland then enjoyed one of their best spells and were camped in Lochber’s 22 for some time but their big forwards couldn’t find a hole in the home defence which continued to repel all attacks.

Lochaber eventually managed to clear their lines and normal service resumed when Henry Luke, who had just come on, ran in from 30m to score with his first touch of the ball on his debut.

Lochaber went down to 14 men with around 15 minutes remaining after MacDonald had to leave the field with an injury and no subs remaining. Despite being a man down, the hosts continued to score with Lewis Morrison showing pace to beat three defenders on his way to the line.

Alan Hamilton then left the field with an injury from an awkward landing reducing Lochaber to 13 players for the final five minutes, just enough time for Luke to run in for his second try.

Davies made one more conversion in the second half with Callum Boyd adding another two.

Man of the match was Koni Johnson.

This weekend, Lochaber travel to Shawlands to play Cartha Queens Park. Kick off has been brought forward to 12.30pm as Scotland play Tonga at Murrayfield the same afternoon.

Main photograph (NO_F44_LochaberRugby v Hyndland 02): Calum Boyd under attack. Photograph: Iain Ferguson alba.photos.