Shinty round-up – Saturday October 23

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Kinlochshiel lifted the MacTavish Cup and the Kyles Athletic second team won the Bullough Cup on Saturday October 23. MacTavish Cup Final

Kinlochshiel 3 Kingussie 2, after extra-time

Kinlochshiel won the MacTavish Cup for the first time, coming from behind to beat Kingussie 3-2 in their 2pm throw-up at the Bught Park, Inverness.

Kingussie’s Donnie Grant and Chris Nixon from Kinlochshiel led their respective sides onto the field. It had been wet in the Highland Capital, which left the pitch on the heavy side.

Kinlochshiel manager Johnston Gill listed Paul MacRae and Ali Nixon as substitutes but injury meant neither had any prospect of playing. Duncan Matheson was given a defensive role, whilst David Falconer started in the wing centre berth.

Kingussie boss John Gibson welcomed Fraser Munro and Ryan Borthwick back and both took places on the bench. Dylan Borthwick started in attack, with Savio Genini also held in reserve.

Referee Des McNulty signalled a minute’s silence ahead of throw-up to mark the passing of Dougie MacDougall, born in 1928, who was one of Kingussie’s most loyal and well-travelled supporters for the best part of a century.

Kinlochshiel captain Keith MacRae lifts the MacTavish Cup after his side beat Kingussie in the MacTavish Cup Final played at The Bught Park, Inverness. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Jordan Fraser and Dylan Borthwick had early shots with neither keeper troubled.

It was a cagey opening, but Kingussie took the lead on 10 minutes. Dylan Borthwick, with his back to goal, played the ball out to the Kingussie right where Ruaridh Anderson was darting forward and he cracked a great shot past Josh Grant to make it 1-0.

Referee Des McNulty had to intervene when Rory Mackeachan lost his stick challenging John MacRae. MacRae tried to burst forward but Mackeachan held onto him, earning a yellow card.

Kingussie now had their tails up and pressed Kinlochshiel but the west coast side defended well.

A dangerous long ball from Conor Cormack sent Keith MacRae racing into the ‘D’ but keeper Rory MacGregor cleared his lines with no margin for error.

John MacRae spread play to Jordan Fraser on the Kinlochshiel left and Fraser turned inside with Calum Grant challenging, but his strike went wide of target.

Kinlochshiel were enjoying their best period in the final so far but Kingussie’s Robert Mabon made several important interventions.

When the ball broke to Jordan Fraser on the left of the ‘D’, his shot was weak and Rory MacGregor comfortably saved with his feet.

A Kinlochshiel goal was coming and it arrived on the half hour. Keith MacRae played the ball inside, picking out Jordan Fraser’s run forward. If Fraser’s previous effort lacked power, this strike more than made up for it as he hit the ball across keeper MacGregor to make it 1-1.

Kingussie went back on the attack and Josh Grant had to make a quick double-save before Roddy Young rushed in from the right, but he pushed the ball into the side-netting.

There were a couple of late first half chances for Kinlochshiel as Keith MacRae lifted the ball over the bar following Donald Nixon’s firm hit-in on the left, then John MacRae shot wide from distance before Des McNulty brought an open and entertaining first 45 minutes to an end.

Kingussie were back on the field first for the start of the second half, with Ryan Borthwick replacing Calum Grant in defence.

There was a flashpoint as John MacRae, Rory MacKeachan and Alexander Michie tangled, with MacKeachan taking a blow to the chest, but referee McNulty took no action.

Kieran MacPherson then ran in following a set-piece but couldn’t steer the ball on target, with Conor Cormack taking a blow to the mid-rift.

It was all getting a bit tousy and John MacRae was hit in the mouth when challenging with Rory Mackeachan.

Kingussie introduced Fraser Munro for Liam Borthwick as the final approached the hour mark, before Roddy Young went close for Kingussie following a nice passing move.

Kinlochshiel made a couple of changes with Jonnie MacAskill on for Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae and Archie MacRae replacing Duncan ‘WD’ MacRae soon after.

When Ruaridh Anderson found Dylan Borthwick, his effort went wide, then Dylan Borthwick saw his snapshot saved with his feet by Josh Grant and the ball turned away for a corner with 20 minutes remaining.

A combination of keeper Rory MacGregor and full back Robert Mabon did well to keep the ball out then clear the danger when Archie MacRae ran onto Keith MacRae’s free-hit on the right.

Kingussie’s Ruaridh Anderson won possession and played a one-two before firing wide of the keeper’s right post, then Roddy Young’s run and shot was saved by keeper Grant at the expense of a corner.

Moments later, a scramble in the Kinlochshiel goal ended with Ruaridh Anderson shooting wide.

Kingussie made their third change as Savio Genini came on for Dylan Borthwick for the final 15 minutes of regulation time.

Genini’s introduction gave Kingussie added impetus and Kieran MacPherson went close after another neat passing move.

Josh Grant was the busier goalie and he was quickly off his line to stop the ball and clear for a corner with James Falconer in close attendance.

Kieran MacPherson needed spray after taking a blow to the arm with five minutes remaining with thoughts already turning to the possibility of extra-time.

Jonnie Macaskill was booked for challenging his opponent after losing his stick.

Kinlochshiel had a late set-piece chance when Archie MacRae was impeded. Donald Nixon found John MacRae but his effort was deflected away for a corner, taken by Jonnie MacAskill, with the ball going dangerously across goal before being cleared.

Kinlochshiel finished the 90 minutes on the attack, before referee Des McNulty took the final into extra-time.

Jordan Fraser hooked the ball over the top with the first chance of additional time following Keith MacRae’s free-hit on the left.

Dylan Borthwick returned to the field to take over from Roddy Young.

Kinlochshiel took the lead for the first time in the match on 100 minutes. Donald Nixon’s hit-in on the right reached John MacRae who turned and blasted the ball high past the keeper to make it 2-1.

There was better to come for the west coast side a couple of minutes later as Archie MacRae skipped past Rory MacKeachan on the Kinlochshiel right before cutting in towards goal, keeping his composure to score a wonderful individual goal.

Kingussie responded and Savio Genini won possession on the right but his shot lacked accuracy and referee McNulty signalled the end of the first period of extra-time.

Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae came back on for Keith MacRae for the final 15 minutes of this enthralling contest.

Josh Grant made a superb save to deny Ruaridh Anderson and Kingussie had to settle for a corner.

Calum Grant came back on for Kieran MacPherson but Kinlochshiel were slowing the game down at every opportunity, as you would expect from a side holding a two-goal lead.

Keith MacRae came back on when Donald Nixon was forced to leave the field.

Kingussie pushed Robert Mabon forward and he shot wide from the left.

Kingussie pressed hard and Savio Genini and Robert Mabon had half-chances but they couldn’t breach the Kinlochshiel back line.

There was late drama as, with only moments remaining, Ryan Borthwick forced the ball home following James Hutchison’s free-hit but there was only enough time remaining to restart the match before the referee Des McNulty, who was in control throughout, blew for time.

It is always easy to take Kinlochshiel talisman Finlay MacRae’s performances for granted but he was commanding throughout and was deservedly named man of the match, receiving the Tom Mackenzie Memorial Medal.

Keith MacRae, who has fought back to fitness following a troublesome knee injury, raised the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup for the first time in his club’s history last month. This was another milestone as MacRae became the first Kinlochshiel player to raise the MacTavish Cup in the competition’s 123-year history, with Stuart Walkden from sponsors looking on.

Speaking after the final whistle, a jubilant Kinlochshiel manager Johnston Gill said: ‘Making history, that’s what we are good at, at the moment. This was a big occasion for our fans and our community and we are delighted.

‘I always said Kingussie would be a tough nut to crack and they proved that today as the game could have gone either way. Without a doubt, we are the best team in Scotland at the moment.’

Bullough Cup Final

Kyles Athletic 3 Lochside Rovers 3

Kyles Athletic won 3-1 on penalties

The Kyles Athletic second team came from behind three times before eventually beating Lochside Rovers 3-1 on penalties to lift the Bullough Cup at Tighnabruaich.

The venue was decided by a toss of a coin, with Kyles winning home advantage. A big crowd gathered for the match with Kyles, not surprisingly, having the bulk of the support.

The recent rain left the pitch soft and the sides agreed beforehand to forego extra-time and go straight to penalties if the score was level after 90 minutes.

Rupert Williamson was at full centre for Kyles with Luke Thornton in attack alongside David Martin.

Keeper Dougie MacDonald returned for Lochside after missing the semi-final victory over the Oban Celtic colts, whilst Louis MacFarlane was also back to play at centre.

David Martin celebrates scoring the winning penalty for Kyles. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Both teams had five substitutes and agreed they could field them all so everyone had the chance to play in the final.

An Innes Jackson special on six minutes put Lochside ahead. Jackson was given time and space on the left to send a cracking 30-yard drive waist-high into the opposite corner of the net.

Finan Kennedy equalised a couple of minutes before the break, scoring when the ball broke to him at the edge of the ‘D’ following a scramble.

Lochside played with the wind advantage in the first half and should have built an interval lead but just couldn’t apply the finish when it counted. Matthew Sloss was unlucky with a shot on the angle from the left of the ‘D’ which hit the crossbar.

The wind picked up in the second half but it was Lochside who regained the lead through David Cameron with a well-worked goal on 57 minutes. Innes Jackson played the ball to Michael MacQueen, on as a half-time substitute, at around the penalty spot. MacQueen, with his back to goal, spotted David Cameron’s run by him and flicked the ball between his legs to Cameron whose first-time strike on the run flew into the net for a brilliant goal.

Finan Kennedy levelled for a second time on the hour when Lochside failed to clear a low, hard ball from the right and Kennedy netted from just outside the ‘D’.

There was a delay in play when the pavilion end goals blew over, away from the pitch.

The final was end-to-end and Lewis Buchanan looked to have won it for Lochside when he made it 3-2 with just three minutes remaining. Buchanan didn’t catch the ball as cleanly as he’d have liked but it went under the keeper and into the net.

However, in the final minute, Lochside conceded an unnecessary free-hit in midfield. Kyles played the ball short and Lochside didn’t react and when the ball came over from the right, Luke Thornton was at the back post to shoot into the roof of the net.

There were only a few seconds gone following the restart before referee Graham Fisher took the final to penalties.

Luke Thornton was first for Kyles but Dougie MacDonald, who made some good saves throughout, stretched his right leg to save with the inside of his thigh.

Michael MacQueen went next and he sent the ball into the top corner of the net to put Lochside ahead.

That was as good as it got for Lochside though as Matthew Sloss and Innes Jackson saw their efforts saved by Kieran Crystal, whilst Lewis Buchannan missed the target.

Cairn Lambert failed to score for Kyles, but it didn’t matter as Rupert Williamson, Finan Kennedy and David Martin netted to take the trophy.

There were great contests all over the park including between Lochside’s Callum MacMillan and Kyles Athletic’s Finan Kennedy. Lochside’s Matthew Sloss was also outstanding as was Rupert Williamson for Kyles Athletic.

Kyles Athletic captain Cairn Lambert stepped forward to be presented with the Bullough Cup by Alex McNaughton, with Roddy McCuish and Les Kinvig also in attendance.

Lochside manager Gareth Evans said: ‘Usually you’d be a bit down after losing a cup final but my main thought is that it was a brilliant game. It was two young teams going at it and our Matthew Sloss was outstanding for someone so young, whilst Finan Kennedy caught the eye for Kyles. Rupert Williamson was key for Kyles in midfield though.

‘That will be our final game of the season as we don’t have a fixture on Saturday.’

Mowi Senior League A

Fort William P Glenurquhart P

Fort William’s clash with Glenurquhart at an Aird was called off because of covid restrictions affecting the visitors.

Lochaber P Skye Camanachd P

Skye Camanachd were unable to field a team for their meeting with Lochaber at Spean Bridge.

Mowi Senior League B

Caberfeidh 8 Lovat 1

Caberfeidh trounced Lovat 8-1 at Castle Leod.

The match helped both teams reduce suspensions with Caberfeidh’s Connor MacGregor and Lovat duo Lorne MacKay and Callum Cruden all knocking a game off their respective bans.

There was a minute’s silence ahead of throw-up to mark the previous day’s passing of Johnnie Sinclair, whose family’s association with Caberfeidh stretches back to the founding of the club in 1896.

Kyle Grant gave Caberfeidh the lead on two minutes and they never looked back.

Ben MacDonald on 10 minutes and Craig Morrison’s first on 24 minutes made it 3-0.

Lewis Tawse pulled a goal back on 38 minutes to leave the hosts 3-1 ahead at the break.

Kevin Bartlett restored Caberfeidh’s three-goal cushion on 52 minutes with Craig Morrison completing his hat-trick on 63 and 65 minutes.

Kyle Grant and Kevin Bartlett scored their second goals of the afternoon on 77 and 82 minutes respectively.

The sides are scheduled to meet again in the league this Saturday at Balgate.

Mowi Senior League C

Oban Celtic P Aberdour P

Aberdour were unable to field a side for their trip to play Oban Celtic at Mossfield.

Mowi North League A

Skye Camanachd P Fort William P

The Skye Camanachd second team were unable to fulfil their fixture with the Fort William second team at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Mowi North League B

Newtonmore 6 Caberfeidh 0

The Newtonmore colts scored three times in each half to beat the Caberfeidh colts 6-0 at the Eilan.

Newtonmore took the lead through Craig Macleod on 10 minutes, with Sorley Thomson adding a second on 25 minutes.

Daniel Craven struck four minutes later meaning the hosts led 3-0 at the break.

Craig Macleod got his second on the hour with Tristan Ross making it 5-0 on 70 minutes.

Kyle Clark rounded off the scoring with four minutes remaining.

Lovat P Glenurquhart P

The meeting between the Lovat seconds and the Glenurquhart seconds at Balgate was called off because of covid restrictions.

Mowi North League C

Beauly P Strathglass P

There was disappointment for the Beauly reserves and the Strathglass reserves as their match at Braeview Park was postponed because of an unplayable field.

This is only the second match this season to be called off because of an unplayable pitch.

Mowi South League B

Bute 0 Glasgow Mid Argyll 2

The Bute seconds played well despite going down 2-0 to the Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds at the Meadows.

Nick Lavin opened the scoring on 25 minutes, with Neil Robertson clinching victory 15 minutes from time.

Tayforth P Aberdour P

Tayforth were unable to field a team for the Aberdour second team’s visit to Peffermill.

Mowi Central League

Ardnamurchan 3 Oban Celtic 5

Andrew MacDonald’s hat-trick helped the Oban Celtic second team come from 3-1 down to beat Ardnamurchan 5-3 at Strontian.

Herbie Patterson gave Ardnamurchan the lead on six minutes but Keegan Macphee levelled on 17 minutes.

Freddie Patterson scored on the stroke of half-time to give the hosts a 2-1 interval advantage.

Freddie Patterson got his second on 54 minutes and Ardnamurchan now led 3-1.

Oban Celtic made some positional changes and Andrew MacDonald took centre stage, scoring twice on 75 and 76 minutes to make it 3-3.

It was Andrew MacDonald again as he completed his hat-trick on 80 minutes to give Celtic a 4-3 lead.

Joe MacVicar netted a couple of minutes later to complete the 5-3 victory.

Glenorchy P Kilmory P

Kilmory were unable to field a team for their match with Glenorchy at Mart Park.