One cup down one to go – again!

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

South Lochaber Thistle’s undefeated start to the season came to a halt with a disappointing 4-1 West of Scotland Cup defeat to Clydeside Athletic.

On the back of a great result, the Jags were without six of their starting 11 from the previous week, missing their entire back four and front two between work commitments, holidays, illness and injury.

The early exchanges saw both sides moving the ball on quickly and it took a 40-yard ball forward from Marc Maclean to break the deadlock, with the keeper making the error to allow the full backs’ attempt into the net for a memorable debut goal.

The Jags were in front at half time, but it didn’t take long for Clydeside to equalise through Alan Christie.

At this point, Athletic were in the driving seat and shortly afterwards capitalised with a second through Mark Breton and a third in quick succession from Kevin Gallagher.

The Kinlochleven outfit shuffled the deck and changed up the system to chase the win before Clydeside took advantage and knocked in their fourth and final effort through Jordan Gilchrist.

Manager Alan Gray said: ‘That was a disappointing way to lose our unbeaten run and, on a different day with our full team, we could have definitely taken home a better result.

‘Thanks to Jamie McGregor of Mallaig FC who helped us out with the McLean twins at centre half.’

SLT have been drawn away to Aberdeenshire side Insch AFC in the third round of the Scottish Cup.

Despite having won their second round tie against Glasgow Wellington, the match is to be replayed after the referee played extra time instead of going straight to penalties and the Glasgow side lodged a complaint.

Gray continued: ‘We were disappointed not to secure the win in regulation time and, despite playing extra time, we felt we deserved the victory. The game was played to a finish so we were surprised to be asked to play it again especially as our secretary had alerted the referee to the rules at the time and both teams agreed to play.

‘All we can do now is make sure we don’t drop down to their level of play and put the game out of contention in 90 minutes.’

SLT will play the replay against Glasgow Wellington this Saturday, October 23, at Kinlochleven. Kick-off 2pm.