Double defeat sees Fort players up their strike rate

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Another busy week of league football for Fort William FC saw them travel to Seafield Park to face Strathspey Thistle before facing off against Clachnacuddin on Saturday.

After achieving their first point of the season last week and managing to take more chances in front of goal, the players looked to push on for that first victory of the season.

On Wednesday past, unfortunately the team fell to a 7-3 to Strathspey despite being 2-0 up in the first half through Blessings Tshibikubula who headed in from a Joseph Owusu-Barnieh corner kick, then Robbie Foster from the penalty spot.

Strathspey pulled one back before half time to make it 2-1 at the break, then took the lead in the second half holding a 4-2 lead before Robbie Foster finished well after delightful work down the right wing from Tshibikubula to make it 4-3.

From then on though Strathspey wrapped up the victory with three more goals to finish 7-3 victors.

Onto to Saturday and this was an encounter Fort William had set their sights on for a while, looking to take all three points back down the road.

The game produced a brilliant first half of football with Clachnacuddin going 1-0 up in the opening two minutes through former Fort FC forward Liam Taylor.

The Fort then scored three goals in eight minutes through Robbie Foster, Blessings Tshibikubula and Connor Moore before James Anderson replied for Clachancuddin in the 32nd minute making the score 3-2 to Fort William at the break.

Despite a strong Fort performance in the second half, it was Clach who snatched the sixth goal of the game with Eachainn Miller equalising for Clachnacuddin in the 77th minute of the game before they netted the decisive goal to make it 4-3 in the dying moments through James Anderson who got his second of the afternoon.

Unfortunately this proved to be the vital goal of the game as it gave the home side all three points, coming back from 3-1 down to win.

Despite the two results, Fort can be happy they are beginning to consistently score goals which wasn’t happening at the start of the season. That said, the wait for elusive first victory of the season goes on.

The next match for Fort William FC is on Wednesday October 13 against Buckie Thistle,  before they face Lossiemouth on Saturday.