Jags boot opponents out of cup following controversial extra time decision

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

South Lochaber Thistle (SLT) overcame their own personal Waterloo to make it through to the third round of the Scottish Amateur FA Cup for the first time in their history in controversial circumstances against Glasgow Wellington FC.

Lewis Murphy in the air. Photograph: Iain Ferguson, alba.photos.

Due to Covid, all fixtures in the competition this year go straight to penalties in the event of tied scores at full time.

Here, and despite the SLT secretary showing the rules to the official, the referee opted for extra time. While this allowed skipper Martin Munro to bag a brace and put the tie out of contention, there is a possibility the club have not heard the last of this game.

Things had begun well for the hosts, as their reshuffled line-up played exciting and expansive football. Unfortunately, enough of these chances were spurned to make the supporters question whether the Jags were playing in wellingtons rather than against them.

Goal scorer Andrew MacLean outpaces a Wellington opponent. Photograph: Iain Ferguson, alba.photos.

Eventually, the Glaswegians failed to deal with a lofted ball forward from the ever reliable John Ferguson from a free kick and towering midfielder Andrew Maclean got his nose in front of the defence to push the ball home.

The game stayed this way until almost the last kick of the game when Wellington’s Jordan Devine levelled.

The referee’s controversial decision followed which saw Thistle finally set Munro free to seal the victory.

Manager Alan Gray said: ‘I’m very proud of the boys today. Prior to this season, we’ve struggled in the competition but here the lads were excellent. They’ve been playing with a smile on their face all season and it is paying dividends.

‘We made enough chances to win three games and it’s sad the referee’s decision to play extra time is going to dominate the conversation.

‘We’re looking forward to the draw for the next round and hoping to go as far as we can. We thank all of the supporters for coming down today and cheering us on.’