At Random with Martin Laing – Thursday September 30

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Talking trash

I was drawn to the story last week about residents of streets around Oban High School being fed up with littering in the area and urging the school to take action.

I was especially interested because I wrote here recently about the problem of rubbish in our communities generally and in support of the Keep Oban Beautiful Doorstep Challenge, under which people are encouraged to keep their own wee bits of territory tidy.

What disappointed me most about the school litter problem was that this, rather obviously, is principally a problem caused by our youngsters. I had thought our savvy teenagers were all only too well aware of the need to avoid casually discarding their detritus.

As you might expect, Argyll and Bute Council said the school is proactive in urging responsible citizenship among its pupils and is working closely with the police and wardens to combat the problem. That is welcome, naturally, but I fear the only lasting solution will be to have the perpetrators caught and punished.

Thus I would ask all readers to report littering when you see it happen and try to identify the culprits. A visit from the police might just drive home the point for these young scoundrels.

Generous villagers

Taynuilt residents have been quick to rally to help Jordan and Lesley Foster, proprietors of the Taynuilt Inn, which was ravaged by fire last week.

Jordan and Lesley were left with virtually nothing after the blaze, so the fundraising for them will be very welcome. Hopefully in the long term, the couple will be back on their feet.

However, in the short term, they will be hugely grateful to their fellow villagers, who have, let’s remember, also lost out with the demise of their village inn.

I hope the hostelry is rebuilt and open again as soon as possible.

What do you think? Send your comments to