Shinty round-up – South Shinty 11.9.21

Dylan Cooke, Oban Celtic steps in to stop Craig Taylor, Inveraray. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Inveraray and Glasgow Mid Argyll reached the Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup semi-finals following the shinty action on Saturday September 11.

Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup – Quarter Finals
Inveraray 3 Oban Celtic 0

Inveraray are through to the Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup semi-finals after beating Oban Celtic 3-0 at the Winterton.

Inveraray didn’t include Garry MacPherson, who played so well against Skye the previous week. They were also without injured pair John Kennedy and Ally MacDonald.

Oban Celtic, who hadn’t played for five weeks, travelled without keepers Allan Duncan and Jack Hill, so outfield player David Hill played in goal. George MacMillan, Lennon Campbell and Duncan MacMillan were also missing. There was a place for Neil MacFarlane, with Ross MacMillan starting in the half back position. An unfamiliar Celtic forward line included Neil Carmichael, hampered by an achilles injury, Keegan Macphee, Ewen Campbell and Duncan MacMillan.

Craig Taylor (INV) & Peter Currie (Oban Celtic). Photograph: Stephen Lawson

Campbell Watt got the opener on 12 minutes. A half-clearance out of the Oban Celtic defence broke to an unmarked Watt, 25 yards out on the left and he fired a clean strike home.

The tie threatened to boil over at times before the first half drew to a close.

Campbell Watt got his second on 55 minutes. The ball came out to Watt at the edge of the D following a melee and he made no mistake.

Oban Celtic brought on youngster William MacEwan for the final 20 minutes, with Joe MacVicar getting his first taste of shinty at this level just five minutes later.

Ruaraidh Graham made it 3-0 a couple of minutes into stoppage time. The goal came following a corner with the ball coming out of the defence before being played back in. David Hill chested the ball down and Graham pushed the rebound into the goal to make it 3-0.

There was only just enough time to restart the contest before referee David Mitchell blew for time and Inveraray now face Oban Camanachd in the semi-finals.

Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘We obviously had to change things around quite a bit with players missing and it the end, there wasn’t that much between the sides.’

Glasgow Mid Argyll 8 Bute 0

Glasgow Mid Argyll were too strong for Bute, winning 8-0 in their 3pm throw up at Peterson Park.

GMA boss Mark Bain had a strong squad to choose from with Oliver MacRae and John Don MacKenzie available again.

Bute, by comparison, were short of several regulars for the journey south.

Ewan Fraser has been a key figure for GMA since joining from Newtonmore and he put the hosts ahead on four minutes.

Oliver MacRae on 20 minutes and Ally McKerracher on 28 minutes made it 3-0.

Ewan Fraser and Ally McKerracher both got their seconds on 30 and 33 minutes respectively and the Glasgow side led 5-0 at half-time.

Ewan Fraser completed his hat-trick on 71 minutes and Brian Slattery added a seventh on 75 minutes.

The impressive Ewan Fraser had the final say with his fourth goal of the afternoon with just five minutes remaining.

Glasgow Mid Argyll now meet Kyles Athletic in the semi-finals whilst Bute will look to bounce back against Beauly in the Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup semi-finals a week Saturday.

Mowi Senior League C
Aberdour P Oban Camanachd P

Aberdour’s match with Oban Camanachd at Silver Sands was an early Covid postponement.

HIS Sutherland Cup – Semi Final
Lovat P Lochside Rovers P

The Lovat second team and Lochside Rovers will have to try again as their noon throw up at Spean Bridge was postponed because of Covid restrictions.

Bullough Cup Semi Final
Kyles Athletic 4 Kilmory 1

The Kyles Athletic reserves reached the Bullough Cup Final with a 4-1 victory over Kilmory at the Playing Fields, Tighnabruaich.

Dave Martin got the hosts off to a great start with a goal after just five minutes but Bruce Johnston levelled on 25 minutes.

Kyles managed an interval lead when Dave Martin got his second on 41 minutes.

Ross Donald on the hour and Finan Kennedy just five minutes later ensured it would be the Kyles colts’ day.

Holders Lochside Rovers and the Oban Celtic second team are still to meet in the other semi-final.

Mowi South League A
Taynuilt P Inveraray P

The Inveraray colts were unable to field a team for their match against Taynuilt at the Taynuilt Sports Field.

Col Glen P Ballachulish P

The game between Col Glen and Ballachulish at Glendaruel was called off as Balla’ were unable to raise a team.

Mowi South League B
Glasgow Mid Argyll 6 Aberdour 2

The Glasgow Mid Argyll colts had to work hard to see off a stubborn Aberdour colts before finally running out 6-2 winners in their noon throw up at Peterson Park.

The Glasgow side were missing Jamie MacLeod following his red card in the 6-2 league victory over Tayforth the previous week.

Aberdour went in front with Martin Cameron scoring on 23 minutes but Cailean MacInnes drew GMA level just a minute later.

Aberdour fought back and they regained the lead though Gabriel Slater on 43 minutes and led 2-1 at the break.

GMA made a good start to the second half with Cailean MacInnes equalising for a second time a minute after the restart.

The home side went in front for the first time through Nick Lavin on 58 minutes and James MacLeod went on to add a brace with strikes on 59 and 67 minutes.

Nick Lavin got his second to make it 6-2 on 82 minutes.

Bute P Tayforth P

Tayforth were unable to field a team for their trip to the Meadows to play the Bute seconds.

Mowi Central League
Lochaber P Oban Celtic P

The 3pm throw up between the Lochaber seconds and the Oban Celtic seconds at Spean Bridge will be rearranged.

Glenorchy 2 Kilmallie 2

Glenorchy and the Kilmallie second team shared the points following a 2-2 draw at Mart Park.

Conor Sartain gave Glenorchy a 36-minute lead with what was the only goal of the first half.

When referee Deek Cameron awarded Kilmallie a penalty three minutes after the restart, Stuart Ross stepped up to score from the spot.

Ben MacKinnon put the visitors ahead on 58 minutes only for Conor Sartain to get his and Glenorchy’s second with on 15 minutes remaining.

Kilmallie P Ardnamurchan P

The meeting between the Kilmallie seconds and Ardnamurchan at the Canal Parks was a Covid postponement.