Shinty round-up – North 11.9.21

FORT V SKYE Ally MacDonald tackles Fort scorer Lewis Morrison. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Fort William, Kingussie and Newtonmore had good league wins following the shinty action on Saturday, September 11. MacTavish Cup – quarter finals
Fort William P Glenurquhart P

The tie between Fort William and Glenurquhart at An Aird was called off because of Covid restrictions and will be rescheduled.

Mowi Senior League A
Fort William 5 Skye Camanachd 2

With both Fort William and Skye seeing their original fixtures postponed, a meeting between the sides at An Aird was quickly arranged.

With Victor Smith unavailable, Fort William co-manager Adam Robertson took sole charge of the side.

Johnny Foster and Ally MacRae were missing so Gordon Stephenson and Lewis Murphy came into the defence, with Alexander Cameron going to full back.

Calum Shepherd was out with a broken knuckle suffered in the last outing against Lochaber. Jack Fraser lined-up in midfield.

Skye boss Kenny MacLeod was still without John Gillies so William MacKinnon continued at full back.

Iain MacLellan started with Jamie Gillie dropping onto the bench.

Skye lost defender Martin Pringle after just five minutes.

Pringle was taken off as a precautionary measure with a tight hamstring and the forthcoming Alvance Balliemore Cup final in mind.

Jamie Gillies came on in attack; James Pringle dropped back into midfield with Ally ‘Cleodi’ MacLeod moving into the defence.

FORT V SKYE Skye’s James Pringle tries to block Alexander Cameron. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,

Fort William went in front on 32 minutes.

Arran MacPhee and Lewis Morrison were high up the park and when the ball came to Morrison, he drew two defenders as he went to shoot but flicked the ball to Arran MacPhee instead.

MacPhee was free outside the D and the Fort skipper wasn’t going to miss and he sent the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Lachie Shaw made it 2-0 just three minutes before the break.

The ball came in low from a corner on the left and fell to Shaw around the penalty area and he turned and shot goal-wards, not catching the ball as crisply as he’d have liked but it hit Skye keeper Ryan Morrison’s foot and went into the net.

The Fort added a third a minute after the restart.

The ball came in from a shy and Lachie Shaw turned his marker before letting the ball bounce twice and his shot flew into the net, hitting the middle of the left stanchion.

Skye’s Somhairle MacDonald scored his third goal in two weeks when he cut in from the left before shooting from around the penalty spot.

Fort keeper Paul MacKay got his hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out so it was now 3-1 with 52 minutes on the clock.

The islanders cut the deficit to a single goal on 72 minutes with a great finish from Jordan Murchison on the right.

However there was to be no comeback and when the hosts were awarded a free-hit on the left side of the D, Padraig McNeil played the ball across the penalty area where Lewis Morrison fired into the middle left-hand side of the goal.

Fort William wrapped up the points from a good overall performance three minutes from time when Cam Stephen made it 5-2.

Lachie Shaw’s shot was saved with his feet by Ryan Morrison but as the ball flew into the air, Cam Stephen finished calmly with a simple tap-in.

Speaking afterwards, Fort William co-manager Adam Robertson said: ‘We played really well and it was a good win.

‘We are using the league to build our squad up for next season and youngsters Gordon Stephenson and Lewis Murphy came into the side and really impressed.

‘Craig MacDonald and Cam Stephen also showed up well when they came on for the final 20 minutes, whilst Astie Cameron did very well as we moved him to full back.

‘We have a good forward line on paper but we’ve not always shown it on the pitch this season.

‘I thought we clicked on Saturday though. We got to the ball first and that made a difference.

‘I thought Victor Smith had his best game of the season. He won just about every ball and he is so hard to shift off the ball when he gets possession.

‘It was a good performance and a good result.’

Skye Camanachd P Lochaber P

Skye Camanachd’s fixture with Lochaber at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree was postponed because of Covid restrictions.

Kilmallie P Kinlochshiel P

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup finalists Kinlochshiel were unable to fulfil their meeting with Kilmallie at the Canal Parks.

Mowi Senior League B
Kingussie 5 Caberfeidh 1

Kingussie came from a goal down to beat Caberfeidh 5-1 at the Dell.

Caberfeidh’s Kevin Bartlett scored the only goal of the first half on 39 minutes but Kingussie made a smart start to the second period with Roddy Young levelling on 46 minutes.

Liam Borthwick on 55 minutes and Dylan Borthwick a couple of minutes later made 3-1.

Dylan Borthwick added a fourth on 78 minutes whilst Roddy Young got his second to round off the scoring on 82 minutes.

George Phimister (Strathglass) gets away from Iain Robinson (Newtonmore). Strathglass v Newtonmore in the Mowi Senior League B game played at Cannich.

Strathglass 0 Newtonmore 7

Newtonmore were 7-0 victors against Strathglass at Cannich.

Iain Robinson’s brace on 27 and 35 minutes had ‘More two up.

Referee Willie MacDonald penalised a blatant hack to award ‘More a penalty on 45 minutes and Struan Ross converted.

Struan Ross got his second a minute after the restart.

When a Strathglass defender was penalised for double-swinging inside the D, Conor Jones scored from the spot to make it 6-0.

Struan Ross completed his hat-trick with a brilliant solo effort as he played keepy-uppy with the ball as he ran forward before crashing a volley into the roof of the net.

Iain Robinson rounded off the scoring three minutes from time.

There were yellow cards for Newtonmore’s Steven MacDonald for speaking out of turn to referee Willie MacDonald and to Strathglass captain Josh Fraser for persistent fouling.

Beauly P Lovat P

The derby between Beauly and Lovat at Braeview Park was postponed because of Covid restrictions.

HIS Sutherland Cup – Semi Final
Lovat P Lochside Rovers P

The Lovat second team and Lochside Rovers will have to try again as their noon throw up at Spean Bridge was postponed because of Covid restrictions.

Mowi North League A
Kinlochshiel 2 Glengarry 1

The Kinlochshiel seconds turned in a strong defensive performance to beat a good Glengarry side 2-1 in their 1pm throw up at Rèaraig.

Colin MacDiarmid started at full centre for ‘Shiel with Callum Coghill and Lewis MacVicar either side of him and they lined up against Steven Cameron, flanked by Scott Bremner and Kyle MacKinnon.

Glengarry started with a strong forward line deploying Rhuairaidh MacDonald at buckshee forward, Finlay Fraser and Nick Dalgety on the wings and former Scotland international Shaun Nicolson at full forward.

However the ‘Shiel back line of Andrew MacKenzie, Rowan Myers, Martin MacRae, and Arron Jack and keeper Sandy MacDiarmid were to prove key throughout.

Kinlochshiel enjoyed most of the early pressure without really working keeper Gordon MacDonald but when ‘Garry broke, Nick Dalgety tested ‘Shiel custodian Sandy MacDiarmid with Shaun Nicolson going close from the rebound.

Shaun Nicolson took down a long Steven Cameron free-hit but his shot from wide on the left was well saved by Sandy MacDiarmid.

Finlay D MacRae and Archie MacRae combined to send Rory Slaughter running through on goal but Gordon MacDonald came off his line to save and Shaun Sloggie cleared the stray ball.

Both teams hit counter attacks with Archie MacRae blazing over at one end and Nick Dalgety doing similar from wide on the left at the other.

The visitors put a good move together when Shaun Sloggie won possession at the back and Steven Cameron played the ball on to Rhuairaidh MacDonald who had come deep and he sent a great ball down the inside right channel where Shaun Nicolson flashed a shot wide.

A passing move involving Arron Jack, Finlay D MacRae and Zander MacRae set up a chance for Archie MacRae but his shot went wide.

When Lewis MacVicar sent the ball down the right wing, Finlay D MacRae sent the ball across goal and Zander MacRae saw his shot saved with his feet by Gordon MacDonald.

The game was flowing from end-to-end but both teams lacked that killer touch.

Archie MacRae showed great skill to take down a high ball forward and he slipped Finlay D MacRae right through on goal but his effort went the wrong side of the post for what was the best chance of the match so far.

Kyle MacKinnon did well to win possession on the left of the ‘Garry midfield and he found Rhuairaidh MacDonald whose long ball forward sent Nick Dalgety and Shaun Nicolson racing into the D but Sandy MacDiarmid came off his line to deal with the danger and the ball went behind for a goal hit so it remained goalless at the break.

Archie MacRae sent a snap-shot over the bar early in the second half whilst ‘Garry twice went close at the other end with Shaun Nicolson in the thick of the action.

Sandy MacDiarmid came quickly off his line to foil Shaun Nicolson who had run through towards goal into the left of the D and Nicolson was hurt in the challenge.

Glengarry took the lead on the hour. A long ball was well taken down by Shaun Nicolson and although his first effort at goal was blocked, he sent the rebound into the net to make it 1-0.

However, ‘Shiel levelled a couple of minutes later when Rory Slaughter’s corner from the left came to Finlay D MacRae and he smashed the ball into the net from just to the right of the D.

Archie MacRae made space before seeing his shot crash off the outside of the stanchion.

‘Shiel took the lead 15 minutes from time when Archie MacRae ran on to a great diagonal ball from Rory Slaughter, played from left to right, and MacRae thundered the ball home to make it 2-1.

Glengarry responded, working the ball up the right side, and Sandy MacDiarmid made a fine stop from Shaun Nicolson’s strike.

Shaun Nicolson set up Rhuairaidh MacDonald and his backhand strike pinged the inside of the post and although ‘Garry made optimistic claims that the ball had crossed the line, Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup referee John Angus Gillies waved away their pleas.

The visitors piled on the pressure at the end.

Rhuairaidh MacDonald’s set-piece ball into the danger-area was flicked away by Zander MacRae as far as Scott Bremner on the right and his ball into the goal area was forced out for a corner.

Nick Dalgety made space to get a sight at goal from Kyle MacKinnon’s corner but the ‘Shiel defence scrambled the ball back out of play for another corner, this time on the right.

Rhuairaidh MacDonald shot wide from Nick Dalgety’s corner and that was the last chance of this enjoyable contest.

Lochcarron P Skye Camanachd P 

Lochcarron’s derby with the Skye Camanachd second team at Battery Park was called off on Thursday evening because of Covid restrictions.

Mowi North League B
Caberfeidh 1 Kingussie 7

The Kingussie colts beat the Caberfeidh colts 7-1 at Castle Leod.

Ruaraidh Wink on five minutes and Peter Dickson on 11 minutes gave the Kings early control in this game.

Martin Dallas made it 3-0 on 24 minutes, whilst Peter Dickson completed his hat-trick with goals on 34 and 50 minutes.

Martin Dallas got his second on 54 minutes and although Ruaraidh MacLeman gave Cabers some consolation three minutes later, Martin Dallas went on to complete his hat-trick with 15 minutes to go.

Newtonmore P Inverness P

The game between the Newtonmore seconds and the Inverness firsts at the Eilan was another Covid postponement.

Mowi North League C
Beauly 4 Lewis Camanachd 0

Aberdeen University agreed to reschedule their match against the Beauly seconds at Braeview Park to allow the hosts to welcome Lewis Camanachd for the islanders’ first competitive match in 18 months.

Lewis put everything into the game and held the hosts at bay until three minutes before the break when a free-hit from the left was played on to Finlay MacLennan and his turn and shot from just outside the D made it 1-0 at the break.

Torrin Cairns added a second on 67 minutes when he ran the ball into the D following a corner from the left and he slipped the ball past the keeper on the rebound.

Sean Stewart made it 3-0 with 20 minutes remaining when he knocked the ball low into the net on his backhand from just right of centre following a good passing move.

Sean Stewart got his second and Beauly’s fourth with just three minutes remaining when he volleyed home a corner from the right at the front post for what was the goal of the match.

Inverness P Lewis Camanachd P

The 12.30pm throw up between the Inverness colts and Lewis Camanachd at the Bught Park was another Covid postponement.

Strathspey Camanachd P Strathglass P

Strathspey Camanachd’s meeting with the Strathglass at Grantown Grammar School was called off for Covid reasons. This is the third successive Saturday that these sides have been unable meet.

Mowi Central League
Lochaber P Oban Celtic P

The 3pm throw up between the Lochaber seconds and the Oban Celtic seconds at Spean Bridge will be rearranged.

Glenorchy 2 Kilmallie 2

Glenorchy and the Kilmallie second team shared the points following a 2-2 draw at Mart Park.

Conor Sartain gave Glenorchy a 36-minute lead with what was the only goal of the first half.

When referee Deek Cameron awarded Kilmallie a penalty three minutes after the restart, Stuart Ross stepped up to score from the spot.

Ben MacKinnon put the visitors ahead on 58 minutes only for Conor Sartain to get his and Glenorchy’s second with on 15 minutes remaining.

Kilmallie P Ardnamurchan P

The meeting between the Kilmallie seconds and Ardnamurchan at the Canal Parks was a Covid postponement.