Busy 24 hours for Oban lifeboat

On Sunday Oban RNLI's Tom Kennedy responded to his 400th call-out

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Three call outs in just 24 hours marked the 400th shout for Oban RNLI’s Tom Kennedy.

Sunday saw the life-saving charity’s crew spend more than seven hours at sea. Tom, who is the station’s full-time mechanic was with them.

The lifeboat’s first call-out of the day was at 8.15am  to reports of a swimmer in
difficulty at the Corran Narrows. The swimmer, who was part of a group, made it back to shore on their own and the crew was stood down,  returning to station shortly after 9am.

At 10pm the second call came after concern was raised for a fishing boat with one occupant that had not arrived at its destination after leaving Dunstaffnage Marina earlier in the day. It was understood that the vessel had limited means of calling for help onboard. The lifeboat had started its search  when news came that the missing the boat was safe and well.

At 3.15am volunteers were called on to help a yacht that had run aground in the popular
anchorage of Puilladobhrain,at the north end of Seil island.
When the crew got to the scene they found the yacht well aground and heavily listing with four people on board. As the tide was still dropping, the decision was made to transfer three of the yacht’s crew to the lifeboat. The yacht’s skipper stayed on board while the lifeboat returned to Oban with the others to wait for the tide to rise. They got to Oban by 5.15am and left again at 6.30am to help refloat the yacht by giving it a tow to clear it off the rocks and move it away from other boats. After checks for damage the yacht was was able to carry on to Oban itself.

This busy spell also marked the 400th call  out for Tom who joined the RNLI back in 2003 and is responsible for the safe running of Oban’s lifeboat and
the equipment she carries on board.


Caption: On Sunday Oban RNLI’s Tom Kennedy responded to his 400th call-out