The Shinty Round Up for Saturday September 4

SKYE V INVERARY Allan Cameron (left) chases Skye’s Martin Pringle. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Lovat will meet Kinlochshiel in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup Final following the shinty action on Saturday September 4.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – semi-final

Kingussie 2 Lovat 3

Lovat will meet Kinlochshiel in the 2021 Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup final after defeating Kingussie 3-2 in their 4.10pm throw up at An Aird.

The team news saw Kieran MacPherson sufficiently fit to take a place on the Kingussie bench so Liam Borthwick started at wing centre.

Callum Cruden was at full centre for Lovat with Lewis Tawse in the forward line.

Lovat were quick out of the blocks and Robert Mabon’s perfect block prevented Fraser Heath shooting goalwards, while Kingussie keeper Rory MacGregor used his feet to save Greg Matheson’s shot.

Play switched to the other end and Stuart MacDonald made the first in a series of fine first half stops when he used his hand to parry James Falconer’s backhand shot from the right.

However it was Lovat who broke the deadlock on 10 minutes.

Fraser Heath jockeyed with Robert Mabon 25 yards from goal after controlling Lorne MacKay’s free-hit.

Heath made enough space to turn and send a dipping shot into the keeper’s top right corner of the net to claim a spectacular opener.

Kingussie now laid siege on the Lovat goal and Stuart MacDonald saved with his feet after Roddy Young had taken James Falconer’s pass and Savio Genini’s free-hit from the left started a goalmouth scramble before Lovat cleared their lines.

When James Hutchison’s free-hit found Savio Genini, the Kingussie full forward turned Daniel Grieve on the left but was denied by Stuart MacDonald who stretched to make a diving save with his left foot.

Roddy Young’s shot flashed wide after he took down Liam Borthwick’s ball from the right and, following some great movement from the Kings’ forwards, Stuart MacDonald thwarted Liam Borthwick before diving to his right soon after to keep out Roddy Young’s shot from a central position.

MacDonald was then quickly off his line to clear before Savio Genini could get to a James Falconer shot which had been deflected out to the left.

A rare Lovat attack ended with Rory MacGregor stopping Marc MacLachlan’s shot with his feet and Greg Matheson needed treatment to a cut below the eye suffered in the build-up.

Stuart MacDonald’s final act of a pulsating first half was to save with his feet from Kingussie top scorer James Falconer.

Kingussie finished the half on the attack but they couldn’t get the goal they craved so Lovat led 1-0 at half-time.

Kingussie were forced into an interval change with defender Ryan Borthwick, who had been troubled by a heavy cold, replaced by Calum Grant.

Kingussie attacked straight from the restart and James Falconer’s shot from the left went across keeper MacDonald but came off his left post and Ruaridh Anderson shot wide from the rebound.

Despite all Kingussie’s pressure they fell two goals behind as Lovat went straight up the park on 47 minutes.

A Lewis Tawse free-hit picked out Marc MacLachlan in a central position and he fired goalwards.

Keeper Rory MacGregor left the ball as he thought it was going wide but, to his horror, it sneaked just inside his right post.

Lovat were forced into a double substitution when Marc MacLachlan limped off with a hamstring issue whilst Scott MacKenzie was hit on the knuckle.

Bailey MacKay came on in place of MacLachlan and Graeme MacMillan replaced MacKenzie.

Kingussie took time to settle after the loss of the second goal until Roddy Young’s run down the left ended with a shot which went wide of target.

Ruaridh Anderson then raced down the opposite flank but the Lovat back-line cleared the ball to safety.

Iain Nicolson came on for Lovat but Kingussie continued to attack and Savio Genini shot over the top from the left.

Kingussie got the goal their play deserved on 73 minutes and it was a Savio Genini special.

Genini took down Fraser Munro’s free-hit from wide on the left of the Kingussie midfield before turning quickly and firing across keeper MacDonald with the ball going just inside the keeper’s right post.

It only took Lovat a minute to dent any hopes of a Kingussie comeback.

Greg Matheson played the ball back low across the goal from the right and Fraser Heath took a touch inside and his low shot on his left side went in off the keeper’s feet.

The tie was turning into an epic and Savio Genini scored a second on 75 minutes serving up the game’s third goal in a breath-taking three minute spell.

Genini brought down Roddy Young’s corner from the left before smashing the ball home on his left side from the edge of the D.

It was now 3-2 although, not surprisingly, the pace dropped during the final 15 minutes.

There were a spate of late yellow cards issued by referee Deek Cameron to Robert Mabon for hauling back Fraser Heath, Callum Cruden for catching Fraser Munro in the face with his club and Calum Grant following a spat with Graeme MacMillan.

Between times, Ruaridh Anderson sent a swerving shot wide of the keeper’s right post.

Kingussie replaced Roddy Young with Dylan Borthwick with the substitute forcing a Stuart MacDonald save with his hand by his left post.

Late shots from Dylan Borthwick and Ruaridh Anderson weren’t enough as Lovat saw out the closing minutes and they will now play Kinlochshiel in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup final at Mossfield on Saturday September 18.

Lovat will be formidable opponents, making their fourth appearance in the final over the last six years.

Fraser Heath was named man of the match by BBC ALBA pundit Katie Drain with Stuart MacDonald perhaps a close second. MacTavish Cup – quarter-finals

Strathglass 1 Kinlochshiel 3

Kinlochshiel are through to the MacTavish Cup semi-finals but they had to work hard to beat Strathglass 3-1 at Cannich.

Strathglass boss Allan MacLeod had to make six changes from the team which lost at Bute in the Balliemore Cup in mid-August.

Kinlochshiel were also much changed from the side that beat Kyles Athletic in the Camanachd Cup semi-final a week earlier.

Finlay MacRae, John MacRae and Duncan ‘WD’ MacRae were all out injured.

Duncan Matheson dropped onto the bench where he joined Fraser MacVicar Mark MacDonald.

Paul MacRae and Campbell Lamont came into the defence with Finlay D MacRae in midfield and Archie MacRae in attack.

‘Shiel took the lead after just three minutes when Ali Nixon sent a good strike into the roof of the net from left of the penalty spot.

Penri Jones pulled the hosts level on 27 minutes, following up after a Josh Grant save and he beat the keeper and slotted the ball home.

Keith MacRae capitalised on a defensive error at the edge of the D a minute into the second half, tucking the ball into the net to put ‘Shiel back in front.

Strathglass had a chance to level for a second time when referee Andy MacLean awarded them a penalty but Josh Grant turned away Penri Jones’ spot-hit.

‘Shiel broke forward from the resulting corner and substitute Duncan Matheson made it 3-1 from inside the box on 57 minutes.

The last thing ‘Shiel needed was any addition to their injury list but Ali Nixon went off with what looked like a hamstring problem whilst Conor Cormack also picked up an injury.

This was a good end-to-end game of shinty and Strathglass played well, running the Camanachd Cup finalists close.

Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – semi-finals

Skye Camanachd 3 Inveraray 2

Skye Camanachd reached the Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup final after edging out Inveraray 3-2 in their noon throw up at Jubilee Park.

Skipper Jordan Murchison returned for Skye following a hamstring problem but John Gillies was out with concussion so William MacKinnon took over at full back.

Gilleasbuig MacDonald started in midfield whilst Will Cowie and Ross Gordon remained on the injury list.

Garry MacPherson started for Inveraray whist Ruaraidh Graham and Robert Wood were on a strong five-player bench.

Skye took the lead on 25 minutes.

Ross MacKinnon’s hit-in from the left was taken down by Inveraray defender Hamish MacLennan but Somhairle MacDonald positioned himself well to intercept the clearance and MacDonald’s shot from the left flew into the top corner of the net on the keeper’s right side.

Inveraray levelled with just five first half minutes remaining.

Lewis MacNicol’s free-hit from inside his own half on the right allowed Allan MacDonald to run onto the ball on the Inveraray left and his low ball across goal was turned home by Campbell Watt on the right, beating the keeper from a tight angle at his near post.

James Pringle put Skye back in front a minute short of the hour.

Martin Pringle’s ball out of defence was played on by Jordan Murchison.

Hamish MacLennan was unable to clear Murchison’s ball to the left and James Pringle cracked a great shot high into the net on his left side.

Somhairle MacDonald got his second and Skye’s third on 63 minutes.

Jordan Murchison ran back into the centre circle to play the ball up-field, wide on the Skye right where James Pringle played a great ball across the face of the goal.

Somhairle MacDonald cut inside from the left and he expertly controlled the ball before slotting it past keeper Scott MacLachlan to make it 3-1.

Campbell Watt got his second seven minutes from time with a shot from distance into the roof of the net to make it 3-2 but Skye saw out the final stages to seal a place in the Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup Final on Saturday October 2, where they will play either Beauly or Bute.

Beauly P Bute P

The semi-final between Beauly and Bute at the Jubilee Park was a Covid postponement so will be rescheduled.

Beauly host Camanachd Cup finalists Lovat this weekend whilst Bute are in Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup quarter-final action against Glasgow Mid Argyll.

The Camanachd Association has confirmed that the Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup final has been put back to Saturday October 2.

Mowi Senior League A

Kilmallie P Fort William P

The local derby between Kilmallie and Fort William at the Canal Parks was called off on Friday afternoon due to Covid restrictions.

Glenurquhart P Lochaber P 

The game between Glenurquhart and Lochaber at Blairbeg was also a Covid postponement.

HIS Sutherland Cup – quarter-finals

Lochside Rovers 2 Kinlochshiel 1

Holders Lochside Rovers saw off the Kinlochshiel second team 2-1 in their 3pm throw up at Mossfield.

Lochside manager Gareth Evans was without the services of the injured Innes Jackson and Robbie Brown, who was working.

Kenny Wotherspoon started in attack alongside Lewis Buchanan, David Cameron and 14-year-old Alexander MacDonald.

Kinlochshiel boss Willie MacRae was missing Archie MacRae and Campbell Lamont who were both on first team duty but Stuart MacRae came into the squad.

‘Shiel started with the wind in their favour but Lochside created chances with Kenny Wotherspoon and Lewis Buchanan going close.

It took a brilliant save from young ‘Shiel keeper Calum MacMillan to deny Lewis Buchanan.

However, Buchanan did get his goal on 39 minutes as he ran away from goal, out to the left, before turning and lashing the ball into the far top corner of the net from a tight angle.

Alexander MacDonald got what proved to be a crucial second goal just three minutes from half-time.

Lewis Buchanan’s shot was saved and a goalmouth scramble ensued with MacDonald running in to force the ball over the line to make it 2-0 at the break.

Lochside introduced youngsters Matthew Sloss and Daniel Pearson from the bench and the Oban side knew a third goal would seal it.

But ‘Shiel pulled a goal back on 74 minutes when Stuart MacRae sent a 20-yard strike high into the net.

Lochside saw out the closing stages to go through to the HIS Sutherland Cup semi-finals where they will play the Lovat second team at Spean Bridge this Saturday.

This was the last match to be played on Mossfield ahead of the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup final on Saturday September 18.

HIS Sutherland Cup – semi-final

Beauly 2 Newtonmore 6

After reaching the Strathdearn Cup final the previous weekend, the Newtonmore second team clinched a place in the HIS Sutherland Cup final after beating the Beauly second team 6-2 in their noon throw up at Castle Leod.

Fraser MacKintosh gave ‘More a 12-minute lead but Leon MacLellan levelled on 18 minutes.

The visitors raced into a 4-1 interval lead with Glen MacKintosh adding a hat-trick with goals on 20, 22 and 43 minutes.

Euan MacCormick pulled a goal back on 52 minutes but Brodie MacBean on 61 minutes and a fourth from Glen MacKintosh on 81 minutes made the final score 6-2.

Strathdearn Cup – semi-final

Lovat P Kingussie P

The Newtonmore second team will have to wait to find out the Strathdearn Cup final opponents after the semi-final tie between the Lovat colts and the Kingussie colts was postponed because of Covid restrictions.

Mowi North League A

Skye Camanachd 3 Kinlochshiel 4

Archie MacRae’s hat-trick helped the Kinlochshiel seconds came from 3-1 down to beat the Skye Camanachd seconds 4-3 in their 6.30pm throw up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree on Wednesday September 1.

This was only ‘Shiel’s fourth match of the season and just their second in the league.

Lewis MacVicar put them ahead on 12 minutes with a fierce strike from wide to the left but Connor Gilpin made it 1-1 on 14 minutes when he swung ahead of his marker to score low into the corner of the net from the left and it remained level until the break.

Archie Millar hit a great shot over the keeper’s right shoulder from around the penalty spot following Daniel Morrison’s corner from the left just a couple of minutes into the second half.

Iain Murray came off the bench and immediately set up Connor Gilpin whose turn and shot made it 3-1 on 53 minutes with Skye enjoying their best period in the game.

‘Shiel finished strongly though and Skye keeper Calum Nicolson made two brave saves before Archie MacRae grabbed a hat-trick to turn the match Kinlochshiel’s way.

His first on 68 minutes was a volley and second on 79 minutes was a low shot after he made space on the right.

Archie MacRae completed his hat-trick and won the match on 80 minutes when he turned his man on the right before cutting in-field and blasting the ball over the keeper’s right shoulder to make it 4-3.

Glengarry P Lochcarron P

Lochcarron were unable to field a team for their match against Glengarry at Craigard.

Skye Camanachd P Fort William P

The clash between the Skye Camanachd colts and the Fort William colts at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree was called off due to Covid restrictions.

Mowi North League C

Strathspey Camanachd P Strathglass P

Strathspey Camanachd and the Strathglass second team were left disappointed for the second successive Saturday when their meeting at Grantown Grammar School was a Covid postponement.

Inverness P Lewis Camanachd P

The 12.30pm throw up between the Inverness reserves and Lewis Camanachd at the Bught Park was postponed due to Covid restrictions.

Mowi Central League

Glenorchy 3 Lochaber 2

Glenorchy saw off a comeback from the Lochaber second team to win 3-2 at Mart Park.

Stewart Twort on 34 minutes and Arik MacKechnie on 43 minutes had the hosts 2-0 ahead at the break.

However Martin Patterson on 51 minutes and Dillon Brockie on 70 minutes drew the sides level.

Glenorchy’s Conor Sartain grabbed the winner seven minutes from time to give Glenorchy the points.