Saturday to forget for Fort FC as Brora net eight goals

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Brora 8-0 Fort William

Fort William travelled to Dudgeon Park on Saturday to face Brora Rangers in a tough encounter, writes Ally Rowantree.

Manger Hollyer made two changes to the side that lost to Lossie midweek in the cup.

Fort fell behind after six minutes when Tom Kelly was played through for Brora and he calmly finished past keeper Kulbacki.

The lead was almost squandered by Brora as Connor Moore broke through to be one on one with the keeper only to see his shot miss narrowly wide, knowing he should have equalised.

Into the 20th minute and Brora rattled the post with the Fort keeper parrying out the re-bound before the ball was put over the bar, a warning sign of what was to come. And on the 24th minute Brora had their second – 2-0.

Brora were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box in the 38th minute and Dale Gillespie stepped up to hit a rocket of a free hit past Kulbacki making it 3-0.

Fort William just couldn’t find their way into the game and on the the stroke of half-time, Josh Meekings scored Brora’s fourth, making it 4-0 at the interval.

The second half was unfortunately a mirror of the first half as Brora scored four more goals, the first a neat half volley on the 49th minute before an incredible 30-yard effort made it six in the 52nd minute.

The hosts’ seventh goal came from another free kick, well-taken in the 53rd minute,  before Dale Gillespie put the eighth goal in from outside the box to make Saturday a day to forget for Fort William.

Following the game, there were a few words from the Claggan Park club’s Peter Murphy who urged supporters of the club to keep contributing and helping in any way possible to help with the club and pitch.

Murphy said all the hard so far has not gone unrecognised and will be key in bringing football back to Claggan Park which will be huge for a team currently having to travel such large distances every Saturday.

Team: Kulbacki, goalkeeper; Taylor; Scott; White; Fargas; McConnell; MacKenzie (Adisi 86’) Brew; Avraam; Moore; Mackintosh, captain, (Kalibah 56’).

Next matches: Nairn County on August 25 and Brechin City on August 28.