Kyle RNLI respond to a mayday call from a yacht aground

Kyle lifeboat crew go to the recue of a yacht aground.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Kyle and Portree lifeboats were called out last Friday, August 6, after a yacht with two people on board got into difficulty north of the Isle of Scalpay.

Kyle lifeboat Spirit of Fred Olsen launched at 5.28pm on receiving a mayday call from the crew saying that the 11-metre yacht had ran aground on rocks and was thought to be taking in water. Its tender vessel had also broken free.

The local lifeboat arrived on scene at 5.44pm and put a crew member on board the yacht to assess the situation whilst the others readied the salvage pump.

After a thorough check it was established that the yacht was not taking on water and it was decided to try and tow the yacht free on the incoming tide. Fifteen minutes later the Kyle lifeboat crew managed to pull the yacht free just as Portree lifeboat arrived on scene.

Once the yacht was free of the rocks and a full check was done to ensure there was no
water ingress or damage the two people on board were happy to make their own way
towards Portree harbour whilst being shadowed by Portree lifeboat.

The Kyle lifeboat crew then went and retrieved the yachts tender which had floated free after the securing line was severed by the yachts propeller when it hit the rocks.

At 6.10pm, Kyle lifeboat departed the scene and made its way back to the station
where it was refuelled and made ready for service by 6.30pm.