Fort show early promise before falling to Formartine

Fort William FC

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

North Lodge Park played host to Fort William for the third game of the season as Formartine United presented the next challenge to the Lochaber side.

Formartine came into the game off the back of 4-1 win at home against Forres as Fort William looked to bounce back from last weekend’s defeat to Fraserburgh.

The away side started the game off well, showing again the side is beginning to gel as they get game time under their belt. They were knocking the ball around well and holding possession.

The game never really developed in the opening half until the latter stages when a good effort from distance cracked against the Fort bar giving the away side a scare.

The warning sign from Formartine was soon built upon as they took the lead minutes later through Kevin Hanratty in the 42nd minute.

Moments later that lead was doubled. A foul resulted in a dangerous free kick which was converted well by Jonathan Smith on the stroke of half time. Two-nil to the home side at the break.

Into the second half and Fort William came out the blocks well with Robbie Foster coming close to pulling one back, only to see his effort sail narrowly over the bar. But this was to be the last of Fort William’s close attempts as Formartine began to control the game, despite a few changes in Fort players.

Andrew Greig wrapped up all three points in the 72nd minute when he made it 3-0 Formartine United with a fantastic curling strike from 20 yards. Final score 3-0 to Formartine United.

This means the wait goes on for at least another week for the first points of the season for Ashley Hollyer’s side but the coach will take the positives from the 90 minutes as Fort William focus on the next league fixture against Forres Mechanics on Saturday August 14, before their North of Scotland cup tie against Lossiemouth on Wednesday August 18.

Fort William: Kulbacki, goalkeeper; Wallace (Taylor 67); Scott; White; Caulker; Owusu-Barnieh; MacKenzie; Brew; Avraam; Foster (Adisi 87) and MacDonald (Kane 78).