Shinty round-up – Saturday July 31

Andrew King of Kyles Athletic receives the man of the match award from David Thomson on behalf of the Macaulay Association after the Macaulay Cup semi final at Mossfield. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

There were plenty talking points following the shinty action on Saturday July 31.

South shinty

Artemis Macaulay Cup – quarter final

Oban Celtic 1 Oban Camanachd 6

A clinical second half display gave Oban Camanachd a 6-1 victory over Oban Celtic at Mossfield on Wednesday July 28.

The tie was arranged for midweek to allow the winners to face Kyles Athletic in the Artemis Macaulay Cup semi finals three days later and a good crowd gathered for the 7pm throw-up.

Oban Celtic were missing Andy MacDonald who was on holiday so George MacMillan was switched to half back.

Injury ruled out Oban Camanachd’s Craig Easton and they started with a forward line of Daniel MacCuish, Malcolm Clark, Connor Howe and Daniel MacVicar.

Daniel MacCuish gave Oban Camanachd the lead on 17 minutes, cracking the ball over the keeper with a slight deflection taking the ball high into the net.

Oban Celtic pulled level on 33 minutes with a corner routine from the training ground. Duncan MacDonald played the corner short from the left to Ross MacMillan, taking a return pass then firing high into the net from a tight angle.

The second half was just a couple of minutes old when Malcolm Clark put his side back in front. Clark evaded a challenge and scored from close in as the keeper and defender collided.

Oban Camanachd made changes, introducing Scott MacMillan, Ross Campbell and Lewis Buchanan, before turning the screw with four goals in the final quarter of the tie.

First, Connor Howe lost his marker to force home a cross from the right to make it 3-1 on 66 minutes. Four minutes later, Daniel MacVicar made no mistake as he fired past keeper Allan Duncan after getting the break of the ball.

Garry Lord added a fifth on 82 minutes. With Neil Carmichael closing down Blair MacFarlane, no-one tracked Garry Lord’s run forward and his 15-yard strike went hard and low into the net.

Scott MacMillan rounded off the scoring with a nicely worked goal five minutes from time. Blair MacFarlane sent a good ball down the line to Ross Campbell who crossed for MacMillan to score.

Whilst Oban Celtic were under a lot of pressure, especially in the second half when they had their backs to the wall at times, they had some possession in attack but the Oban Camanachd defence of Scott McKillop, Daniel Madej, Daniel Cameron and Daniel Sloss is as good as any in the league and were in no mood to give anything away. Oban Camanachd’s all-round superior fitness was evident.

Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘We competed well in the first half but it was a different story after half-time when we didn’t do ourselves justice. The third goal knocked the stuffing out of us and their experience and fitness told. Any mistakes are costly at this level and you could see Oban Camanachd are used to consistently playing at a higher level over the years. We created a couple of second half opportunities but didn’t always choose the right options with the final ball.’

Oban Camanachd boss Stephen Sloss added: ‘We created a lot of chances in the first half but a mixture of crowding around the ball and poor finishing meant we had just one goal to show for our efforts. We also lost a sloppy goal where we let the winger go and Cammy didn’t see the shot until late. We were much better in the second half though and our fitness was good.’

Craig MacMillan, Oban Celtic, left, and Daniel MacCuish, Oban Camanachd, battle it out during the Artemis Macaulay Cup quarter final tie at Mossfield, Oban. Photograph: Stephen Lawson.

Artemis Macaulay Cup – semi final

Oban Camanachd 0 Kyles Athletic 1

Kyles Athletic reached the Artemis Macaulay Cup Final with a narrow 1-0 victory over Oban Camanachd at Mossfield.

The only goal came on 50 minutes when Oban Camanachd fluffed a hit-in and Kyles earned a free-hit following a break forward. The set-piece was powered to the back of the ‘D’ by Thomas Whyte and, one-handed, Ross MacRae touched the ball to Robbie MacLeod who smashed a shot home.

Oban Camanachd had a chance to level midway through the second half when referee Des McNulty awarded them a penalty, penalising a sliding challenge after consulting with the goal judge. Daniel MacCuish rocketed the spot-hit, but the ball went above the keeper’s head and John Whyte made a good reflex save.

Oban Camanachd’s Daniel Cameron went up front after feeling a tight hamstring and twice went close. First, Cameron went one-on-one with keeper Whyte and as he tried to slip the ball under the Kyles custodian, but his effort came off the keeper’s heel.

Then a fierce Cameron strike came off the back of Andrew King’s head whilst substitute Lewis Buchanan saw his shot come back of the outside of the junction between post and bar.

Kyles were well served by their midfield of Thomas Whyte, flanked by Conor Kennedy and Innes MacDonald, with Neil MacVicar replacing Whyte when he suffered a knock soon after the goal. Andrew King covered a lot of ground at the back.

There was six minutes of stoppage time for Kyles to endure before they claimed their place in the final.

Oban Camanachd manager Stephen Sloss said: ‘We just can’t buy a goal in this type of game at the moment and that cost us. Kyles are a bit more experienced than us and they did just enough to win and were hungrier than us in midfield.

‘It’s a blow as the Macaulay is a tournament we wanted to win. We have dominated Kyles recently so you have to say it is a step back. We need to move on, starting this weekend.’

Oban Camanachd’s fixture this Saturday is predicated on the outcome of the midweek meeting between Kinlochshiel and Lovat. A Kinlochshiel victory will see Oban Camanachd host Lovat in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup quarter finals, whilst there could be a home league match with Glasgow Mid Argyll if Lovat win.

Garry Lord, Oban Camanachd, in a tangle with Innes MacDonald of Kyles Athletic during the Artemis Macualay Cup semi final tie at Mossfield, Oban. Kyles won 1 – 0. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – first round

Bute 4 Oban Celtic 2

Scott Harvey’s hat-trick helped Bute beat Oban Celtic 4-2 at the Meadows.

Bute played a high three-one forward line and are always difficult opponents on their own pitch.

Oban Celtic’s Andy MacDonald was still unavailable, whilst Dylan Cooke and David Hill called off on Friday afternoon. Keeper Allan Duncan was also missing so Jack Hill came in between the sticks.

Scott Harvey put the islanders ahead on 22 minutes, making a short run to the front post to get onto a ball from the right and his clean strike flew into the net.

Daniel MacMillan cut inside on 34 minutes and when the ball broke to him, he finished well to make it 1-1 and it stayed that way to the break.

Oban Celtic suffered a double blow when they were forced to replace influential duo Neil Carmichael and George MacMillan at half-time.

Scott Harvey got his second to put Bute back in front on 51 minutes but the Oban side levelled for a second time five minutes later. A ball out of defence was played on by William MacEwan, then to Ross MacMillan and substitute Ewen Campbell before Lennon Campbell finished from 20 yards to make it 2-2.

Oban Celtic had a period of pressure but couldn’t get the goal that would have given them the lead for the first time in the contest.

Bute regained the lead when the referee allowed a quick free-hit with 15 minutes remaining. The ball was rolled short to Aaron McKirdy and although Jack Hill got his hand to McKirdy’s 35 yard drive, he couldn’t keep it out.

Bute sealed the win when they were awarded a penalty three minutes from time when Jack Hill was penalised for a foul. The visitors felt the decision should have gone the other way as an attacker was on the ground, over the ball. Scott Harvey hit the ball well to complete his hat-trick, rounding off the 4-2 win.

Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘It’s the worst collectively that we have played this season and we are bitterly disappointed to be going out of the Balliemore at this stage to a team in a division below us and that’s no disrespect to Bute who have a good crop of youngsters who know how to play shinty.

‘It was a tough game in midweek against Oban Camanachd and that affected us. We had players who just couldn’t loosen leg muscles even during the warm up and we had to make changes at half-time. We were lethargic and there was definitely a hangover from Wednesday night.’

Oban Celtic’s weekend fixture also depends on the outcome of the Macaulay meeting between Kinlochshiel and Lovat. A Kinlochshiel win means a trip to Glasgow Mid Argyll in the league, whilst a Lovat victory triggers a trip west to face Kinlochshiel in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup quarter finals.

Mowi Senior League C

Inveraray 1 Glasgow Mid Argyll 4

Glasgow Mid Argyll (GMA) were 4-1 victors against Inveraray at the Winterton.

Ewen Fraser on five minutes and Craig Anderson on 29 minutes had GMA two up before Fraser Watt pulled a goal back a minute before the break.

Ewen Fraser got his second on 54 minutes with Craig Anderson doing like-wise on 61 minutes.

HIS Sutherland Cup – second round

Glasgow Mid Argyll 1 Kyles Athletic 4

The Kyles Athletic seconds won 4-1 against the Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds at Peterson Park.

David Martin on 13 minutes and Scott Ferguson on 18 minutes gave Kyles an early advantage, with Cairn Limbert making it 3-0 on 41 minutes.

Former Skye player Angie Grant pulled a goal back a couple of minutes later but David Martin sealed the win a minute from time.

Kilmory W/O v Inveraray

The Inveraray seconds were unable to raise a team for their meeting with Kilmory at MacRae Park so the hosts were given a walk-over.

Mowi South League A

Ballachulish 2 Col Glen 1

Ballachulish were 2-1 winners against Col Glen at the Jubilee Park.

The home side’s Cian MacPhee served the second game of a two-match suspension.

A Cally MacNaughton own goal on seven minutes gave Ballachulish the lead and Liam Fraser Stewart made it 2-0 on 32 minutes. Hamish Harrison pulled a goal back on the hour but the hosts stayed in front to take the points.

Lochside Rovers P Taynuilt P

The game between Lochside Rovers and Taynuilt was postponed as Taynuilt were unable to raise a team.

Lochside Rovers learned their HIS Sutherland Cup fate when the quarter final draw was made during the week and the holders will host Kinlochshiel.

The other last eight ties, scheduled for Saturday August 14, see the Lovat seconds welcome Aberdeen University, the Newtonmore seconds play their Kyles Athletic counterparts, whilst the Beauly seconds are at home to Kilmory.

It’s an early start for Lochside this Saturday as they have a noon throw-up against the GMA seconds at Peterson Park in the Bullough Cup second round.

Mowi South League B

Aberdour 2 Tayforth 3

Former Newtonmore player Duncan Gorman scored a couple minutes from time to give a more experienced Tayforth side a 3-2 victory over the Aberdour second team at Silversands.

Tayforth opened playing down the slope and Duncan Gorman put them in front on three minutes but 15-year-old Joe Burns levelled a minute later.

Joe Burns finished off a good move to get his second and give the hosts the lead five  minutes into the second half, but Tayforth made changes and finished strongly.

Brendan Duggan broke free before sending the ball high into the net past keeper Kevin Latimer on 73 minutes and, with just a couple of minutes remaining, Duncan Gorman got his second as he found just enough space to execute a calm finish.

The outcome could have been different with Joe Burns going close to completing his hat-trick just before Gorman’s winner with a smart volley, but Tayforth took the points.

Mowi Central League

Lochaber 0 Glenorchy 4

Glenorchy were 4-0 winners against the Lochaber seconds at Spean Bridge.

Connor Sartain put the visitors ahead in the opening minute and added a second on seven minutes.

It was a good afternoon for Sartain as he completed his hat-trick on 66 minutes with Ciaran MacKay making it 4-0 on 82 minutes.

Oban Celtic P Ardnamurchan P

The match between Oban Celtic reserves and Ardnamurchan at Ganavan was postponed because of travel restrictions.

The Oban Celtic colts play the Inveraray colts at Ganavan in the Bullough Cup second round this Saturday.

North shinty

There were plenty talking points following the shinty action on Saturday July 31.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – second round

Northern Section

Skye Camanachd 0 Lovat 2, after extra time

It took extra time to separate Skye Camanachd and Lovat in their 3pm throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye were missing Will Cowie and Martin Pringle, but Ross Gordon and John Gillies returned. Lovat’s only notable absentee was Martin Mainland and they started with Lorne MacKay at centre, flanked by Drew Howie and Lewis Tawse.

Lovat had the better of the first half, but Skye were on top after the re-start.

Both goalkeepers were key with Skye’s Ryan Morrison keeping out a Greg Matheson piledriver with his face, whilst Lovat’s Stuart MacDonald made an outstanding double stop to deny Jordan Murchison then William MacKinnon.

Skye claimed a Sam MacPhee free-hit had come off a Lovat stick before being allowed to enter the Lovat net but the referee waved away their claims.

The goals that made the difference were both good strikes from Lorne MacKay on 110 and 114 minutes. The first came following a Lovat hit-in on the left whilst the second was a smart drive from the right.

Lovat now go through to play 2019 Camanachd Cup finalists Oban Camanachd in the quarter finals. MacTavish Cup – first round

Kinlochshiel 8 Lochaber 0

Kinlochshiel were too strong for Lochaber, recording a resounding 8-0 triumph in their 3pm throw-up at Rèaraig.

John MacRae got onto David Falconer’s long ball down the left before beating keeper Calum MacDonald at his near post on 12 minutes. Keith MacRae doubled their advantage with a shot from the right which deceived the goalie, creeping in at his near post on 20 minutes.

John MacRae got his second on 36 minutes. MacRae was left of centre when the ball broke out to him and he fizzed a shot over the keeper.

Jordan Fraser sent a penalty low to the keeper’s right on 40 minutes to make it 4-0 at the break.

Jordan Fraser then went on a scoring spree, getting his second on the hour. Donald Nixon’s long ball into the ‘D’ wasn’t dealt with and Fraser touched the into the net.

It was Jordan Fraser again on 70 minutes, driving the ball home from around the penalty spot, and he took his tally to four four minutes later when he was left unmarked in front of goal and forced the ball home at the second attempt.

There was no respite for Lochaber and Finlay D MacRae made it 8-0 with a couple of minutes remaining. Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae and Jordan Fraser combined on the left to set up the youngster, who was unmarked at the front of the ‘D’, and he swept the ball home on his backhand.

Kinlochshiel play their Artemis Macaulay Cup quarter-final tie against Lovat at Blairbeg on Wednesday August 4. Kingussie await the winners in the semis. MacTavish Cup – second round

Kingussie 3 Newtonmore 1

Kingussie beat Newtonmore for the third time this month, winning 3-1 at the Dell.

Ruaridh Anderson gave Kingussie an early lead. Calum Grant found James Falconer wide on the right. Falconer sent the ball low into the danger area and Anderson won a challenge before running in to score.

Roddy Young made it 2-0 on 58 minutes, netting following a corner on the right.

Steven MacDonald converted from the penalty spot on 82 minutes to give Newtonmore hope. However, Ruaridh Anderson scored the goal of the match with four minutes to go when he produced a sublime turn to out-fox his marker on the left before finishing well.

Mowi Senior League A

Kilmallie 3 Glenurquhart 0

Kilmallie scored three first half goals to see off Glenurquhart at Canal Parks.

Daniel Stewart returned from injury for the hosts, with Steven Stewart serving the second match of a two-game ban. Under 17 player Dylan Monk kept his place in the side following a fine performance the previous week and joined a backline of Robbie MacFadyen, Frankie Innes and Innes Blackhall at buckshee back with all four outstanding throughout.

Lewis Birrell scored the opener on 19 minutes, firing a bouncing shot through a host of players on his left side with the ball going past an unsighted Stuart MacKintosh in the Glenurquhart goal.

It was Lewis Birrell again with a great effort on 28 minutes when he sent the ball high into the net after some nice one-touch shinty.

There was a melee on 31 minutes and when the ball broke to Craig MacIsaac on the left and his low shot deceived the keeper.

The one down-side for Kilmallie was captain Innes Blackhall’s red card with 10 minutes remaining. Blackhall was ordered off by referee Alex MacVicar following a challenge,  with Kilmallie disputing the call. Blackhall faces a long period on the sidelines as he was already due to start a two-game suspension for a disciplinary points accumulation.

Kilmallie don’t have fixture this Saturday so their next match is against Kingussie in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup.

Speaking afterwards, Kilmallie manager Martin Stewart said: ‘It was a good performance. Lewis [Birrell] never misses the target and Michael [Rodger] was pulling the strings up front. Our defence were terrific throughout and that gave us something to build on. It’s frustrating not to have a game this Saturday but I’ll go and watch Kingussie ahead of our cup tie.

‘We’ve lost Innes [Blackhall] so Robbie MacFadyen will take over the captaincy for the remainder of the season.’

It’s been a good week for Kilmallie as they have also signed former Lochaber player Stuart Callison. Martin Stewart added: ‘Stuart approached us at the start of last week and he’s already looking great in training. He’s an important addition, especially with Calum MacDougall out injured, and he will play his part as we are building something good here.’

Kilmallie’s Lewis Birrell puts away his second long-range goal against Glenurquhart. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,
Kilmallie’s Michael Rodger played a pivotal role in keeping up the attacks on the Glenurquhart goalmouth. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,

Mowi Senior League B

Caberfeidh 3 Beauly 4

Caberfeidh’s match with Beauly was played on Friday July 30 2021 with a 7pm throw-up.

Caberfeidh’s Liam Symonds was free to play ahead of a one-match ban for a points accumulation. The influential Blair Morrison was still out, whilst Scott Mclauchlan continued in attack.

Beauly placed their trust in a forward line of Ryan MacKay, Jack MacDonald, Robbie Brindle and Ross Forbes.

It took a penalty shoot-out to separate the sides in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup a couple of weeks earlier before Beauly went through and this was another close encounter.

Beauly hit the front with Robbie Brindle scoring after five minutes and Jack MacDonald made it 2-0 after 35 minutes.

Kevin Bartlett pulled a goal back a couple of minutes later and Craig Morrison levelled the contest on 40 minutes.

David MacLean scored three minutes later to give Beauly a 3-2 advantage at the break.

Caberfeidh bounced back with Craig Morrison getting his second five minutes after the re-start to make it 3-3.

However, David MacLean made the difference with what proved to be the winning goal on 57 minutes.

There were no goals during the last half-hour and Beauly did just enough to deserve the win, extending their recent good run.

HIS Sutherland Cup – second round

Section 3

Kinlochshiel 3 Skye Camanachd 0

The Kinlochshiel colts scored three times in the second half to beat the Skye Camanachd colts 3-0 in their noon throw-up at Rèaraig.

Skye travelled with just 13 players so a couple of early injuries left them up against it.

Kinlochshiel youngster Archie MacRae scored twice on 67 and 89 minutes, either side of Lewis MacVicar’s 74 minute effort.

Kinlochshiel now travel to holders Lochside Rovers in the next round.

Mowi North League A

Lochcarron 2 Fort William 2

Lochcarron came from two goals down to draw 2-2 with the Fort William second team at Battery Park.

Fort William’s Greg Kelly netted on three minutes with Cameron Stevens making it 2-0 on 35 minutes. Niall Arnott pulled a goal back four minutes before half-time.

And it remained 2-1 until a minute from time when veteran Gregor Cushnie popped up to secure Lochcarron’s first point of the season.

Mowi North League B

Inverness 1 Kingussie 2

The Kingussie second team were 2-1 winners against the Inverness first team at the Bught Park.

Dylan Borthwick gave Kingussie the lead on seven minutes and Bobby Russell made it 2-0 on 16 minutes. Iain Hunter halved the deficit on 79 minutes but Kingussie ran out winners.

Lovat 1 Newtonmore 1

The Newtonmore seconds dropped their first point of the season, drawing 1-1 with the Lovat seconds at Balgate

Tristan Ross rounded the keeper to score on 15 minutes but a brilliant swerving Raymond Rennie shot from 30 yards went into the top corner of the net to equalise.

Caberfeidh 4 Glenurquhart 0

The Caberfeidh colts beat the Glenurquhart colts 4-0 at Castle Leod.

The match remained goalless until three minutes before the break when Ruaraidh MacLeman continued his good scoring run. It was Ruaraidh MacLeman again on 53 minutes before Kyle Grant made it 3-0 on 60 minutes.

Ruaraidh MacLeman completed his hat-trick a couple of minutes from time.

Mowi North League C

Strathspey Camanachd P Aberdeen University P

The meeting between Aberdeen University and Strathspey Camanachd was reversed to Grantown Grammar School.

However, the pitch failed a Friday inspection so the match was postponed.

Strathglass 3 Inverness 3

The match between the Strathglass colts and the Inverness colts at Cannich was brought forward to Friday July 30 with a 7pm throw-up.

Robbie Stokes put Strathglass ahead on sevevn minutes but a Gavin Butler own goal a minute later made it 1-1.

Things looked good for Inverness when Ruairidh Hughes put them ahead on 26 minutes and Iain Hunter made it 3-1 on 51 minutes.

But the match finished 3-3 as veteran Darren Reid earned the hosts a point with late strikes on 71 and 88 minutes.

Mowi Central League

Lochaber 0 Glenorchy 4

Glenorchy were 4-0 winners against the Lochaber seconds at Spean Bridge.

Connor Sartain put the visitors ahead in the opening minute and added a second on seven minutes.

It was a good afternoon for Sartain as he completed his hat-trick on 66 minutes with Ciaran MacKay making it 4-0 on 82 minutes.