The shinty round-up – July 29

Oban Camanachd goalscorer Daniel MacVicar, left, in action on Saturday. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Nine teams went into the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup quarter final draw following the shinty action on Saturday July 24.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – second round

Southern Section
Fort William 0
Oban Camanachd 1

Oban Camanachd are into the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup quarter finals after beating Fort William 1-0 at An Aird.

Fort William were missing the injured Alexander MacMillan, whilst Sean Cameron took a place on the bench.

The Oban side had Garry Lord back and their bench consisted of Evan MacLellan, Scott MacMillan and Ross Campbell.

Oban Camanachd deployed defender Daniel Sloss on a marking job on Fort danger man Arran MacPhee and he stuck to the task through a few positional changes.

The tie’s defining moment came within the first minute when Malcolm Clark played the ball forward to Connor Howe who found Daniel Madej. The Oban side kept the ball moving as Madej slipped possession to the right of the ‘D’ where Daniel MacVicar beat his man before turning to his left and sending a low shot across the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

Malcolm Clark came within a whisker of making it 2-0 when his shot from distance on the left came crashing back off the crossbar.
Fort William had a period of pressure in the second half but couldn’t get the equaliser they craved.

Daniel MacCuish sent a shot just the wrong side of the post following a rehearsed free-hit during the closing stages.

Paul MacKay was the busier of the two keepers, although Cameron Sutherland made a notable save with his foot. Oban Celtic and Oban Camanachd play their Artemis Macaulay Cup quarter final tie at Mossfield on Wednesday July 28 with the winners likely to face Kyles Athletic in the semi finals on Saturday July 31.

Speaking after the tie, Oban Camanachd boss Stephen Sloss said: ‘It was 30 degrees out there so it was tough for the players but I thought our fitness was very good which was important and we used the rolling substitutes to good effect.
‘We have experience across the park, although we are still essentially a young side. We have a good team who have played in a lot of finals.

‘We were pretty dominant and their keeper, Paul MacKay, had a number of good saves in the first half in particular. It is always nerve-wracking when it’s only 1-0 but we got over the line.’

Victor Smith (Fort) up against Scott MacKillop (Oban). Fort William v Oban Camanachd in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup 2nd Round, played at An Aird.

Kyles Athletic 4 Inveraray 0

Kyles Athletic took early control of their tie against neighbours Inveraray before running out 4-0 winners in their 3pm throw-up at the Playing Fields, Tighnabruaich.

There was a minute’s silence ahead of throw-up following the passing of former Inveraray goalkeeper Charlie Bell. In a shinty career that spanned the 1960s and 1970s, Charlie was a Glasgow Celtic Society Cup winner, a South Division 1 winner and a member of the Inveraray side which were Camanachd Cup runners-up in 1964 when they lost to Kilmallie in Fort William and 1967 when they were beaten by Newtonmore in Glasgow.

Roddy MacDonald put Kyles ahead on six minutes and Ross MacRae made it 2-0 on 12 minutes.

Roddy MacDonald got his second on 17 minutes to make it 3-0 and there was no further scoring until Colin MacDonald make it 4-0 a couple of minutes from time.

Kilmallie 4 Bute 2

Kilmallie saw off Bute, winning 4-2 in their 3pm throw-up at Canal Parks.
Kilmallie’s Steven Stewart started a two-match suspension following his red card against Kinlochshiel a fortnight earlier, whilst Daniel Stewart was out injured.

Kilmallie skipper Innes Blackhall gave his side the lead on six minutes. The ball broke to Blackhall from the left and he sent a backhand shot into the bottom corner of the net.
Leon MacMillan drew Bute level on 18 minutes and it remained 1-1 until the break.

Kilmallie regained the lead on 54 minutes, with Lewis Birrell finishing from inside the penalty spot.

Ryan Stewart made it 3-1 on 62 minutes with the goal of the match – a volley which screamed into the net, similar to his strike against Fort William earlier in the month.
Craig MacIsaac added a fourth from just outside the ‘D’ with 20 minutes remaining and although Leon MacMillan got his second for Bute on 79 minutes, it was Kilmallie’s day.

The winning margin could have been bigger with full forward Michael Rodger twice denied by very good saves.

Kilmallie manager Martin Stewart was delighted to be through to the next round. He said: ‘It’s fantastic to be in the quarter finals and it’s now an open draw. I’m sure we’ll be the team most clubs want to get, but we are a good side on our day.

‘The game was scrappy at times. We gave Bute full respect. I watched the video of their win over Ballachulish the previous week and I thought they played better than that against us.

‘It was also pleasing to field three of our under 17 players. Dylan Monk made his debut at wing back and he has a real physical presence. Aiden Love and Ben MacKinnon also started and all three did really well.

‘We hope to have Daniel Stewart back for the game against Glasgow Mid Argyll this Saturday.’

Mowi Senior League C

Glasgow Mid Argyll P
Oban Celtic P

Glasgow Mid Argyll and Oban Celtic were due to meet for the second successive Saturday, this time at Peterson Park. However, the Oban side was unable to raise a team for the journey south.

Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – first round

Ballachulish 5 Tayforth 3, after extra time

It took extra time to separate Ballachulish and Tayforth in their tie at the Jubilee Park.
Ballachulish were without Cian MacPhee who began a two-game suspension for a disciplinary points accumulation.

Tayforth started well, with former Lochaber player Conor Sweeney on eight minutes and Brendan Duggan on 11 minutes giving them an early 2-0 lead.
However, Ballachulish turned the tie in their favour with Dan MacLean scoring on 24 minutes to make it 2-1 at the break and two goals from Lewis Bryson on 48 and 55 minutes gave them a 3-2 advantage.

Tayforth’s Donald MacInnes made it 3-3 on 80 minutes and it stayed that way until full-time so referee Des McNulty took the tie into extra time.
Lewis Bryson of Ballachulish completed his hat-trick on 94 minutes and Liam Stewart Fraser made it 5-3 on 115 minutes to send Ballachulish through to the next round.

Aberdour 1 Col Glen 0

Aberdour edged out Col Glen 1-0 at Silversands.
It was a much-changed Aberdour side, with five players missing.
Joe Burns made the most of his opportunity as he came in from the wing to notch a debut goal on 23 minutes.

HIS Sutherland Cup – first round

Kyles Athletic 2 Glenorchy 1

The Kyles Athletic second team beat Glenorchy 2-1 in their noon throw-up at the Playing Fields, Tighnabruaich. Luke Thornton scored the only goal of the first half on 13 minutes and Kieran Chrystal made it 2-0 five minutes after the re-start.
Arik MacKechnie halved the deficit on 71 minutes, but Kyles stayed in front to take their place in the next round.

HIS Sutherland Cup – second round

Lochside Rovers 4
Fort William 3

Holders Lochside Rovers had to work hard for their 4-3 victory over the Fort William second team at Mossfield.

This was Lochside’s second outing in less than three days, following their midweek league victory over Tayforth but they showed no ill-effects.

Fort William’s pacey forward line almost broke the deadlock after two minutes but Lochside keeper Dougie MacDonald made a diving save, keeping the ball out with the inside of his thigh, to deny Alan Knox who had fired a shot in from wide on the left.
The opening goal came at the other end. Kenny Wotherspoon, given a starting place following his appearance from the bench against Taynuilt, sent an 18-yard shot from wide on the right, low into the net after 18 minutes.

Innes Jackson added a second four minutes later. Kenny Wotherspoon was involved again as his shot from the right was saved by Stuart Disher but Jackson, who initially ran past the ball, checked back before knocking the ball home from the back post area.
Kenny Wotherspoon had to come off midway through the half with a groin problem so Robbie Brown took his place.

Lochside’s Keith MacMillan had to leave for work at the interval and he was a miss. Kenny Wotherspoon managed to come back on and Louis MacFarlane went to full centre, where he was outstanding.

Fort William introduced substitute Mark Fraser and he pulled his side level with shots from distance on 53 and 59 minutes. Fraser’s second was a great effort, a 40-yard strike which flew into the roof of the net.

Both sides had chances. Wotherspoon twice went close, as did Lewis Buchanan, whilst Dougie MacDonald made another brilliant stop to deny Mark Fraser a hat-trick.
Lochside regained the lead with 13 minutes remaining. Kenny Wotherspoon saw his low shot saved by Stuart Disher but just as the keeper was about to clear the danger, Robbie Brown flew in with a blocking challenge and the ball deflected into the net to make it 3-2.

A trademark Lewis Buchanan finish, when he was allowed too much space around the penalty spot, increased Lochside’s lead on 83 minutes. Fort William did not let their heads drop, however, and Cameron Stephen’s shot from wide on the left a couple of minutes later deceived keeper MacDonald and squeezed into the net at the near post.
Fort William finished strongly without really troubling Dougie MacDonald so it is Lochside who go into the next round. Lochside manager Gareth Evans said: ‘It was a brilliant game which could have gone either way. Fort William are developing into a good team and John Macleod has a good set-up there.’

Kilmory P Inveraray P

Kilmory’s 2pm throw-up with the Inveraray second team at MacRae Park was postponed on Friday evening because of Covid restrictions.

Mowi South League A

Taynuilt 1 Lochside Rovers 5

Lochside Rovers beat Taynuilt 5-1 in their 7pm throw-up at Taynuilt Sports Field on Wednesday July 21.

Taynuilt lost to Col Glen on the opening day of the season and a mix of travel and Covid restrictions meant they hadn’t played since.

Lochside were without Jamie Anderson, Jordan Kerr and Innes MacMillan but boss Gareth Evans called on Scott MacMillan, who was given game time at full forward, full centre Ross Campbell and the evergreen Kenny Wotherspoon who took a place on the bench. There were first Lochside starting slots for 14-year-old Daniel Pearson in defence and 13-year-old Matthew Sloss at half forward. Alexander MacDonald was on the wing.

Lochside took advantage of Taynuilt’s recent inaction, catching them cold as Scott MacMillan scored after two minutes. MacMillan linked up well with Lewis Buchanan and when he took possession between the penalty spot and the ‘D’, he spotted keeper George Reid racing from his line so flicked the ball over the Taynuilt custodian and into the net. It was Scott MacMillan again on 25 minutes, this time punishing the home defence for allowing him too much time, and he sent a rocket-shot past a helpless keeper to make it 2-0.

Taynuilt came back into it and Lochside keeper Dougie MacDonald did really well to keep out Scott Dempster’s lofted effort from around 30 yards out, wide on the right. MacDonald turned the ball away from just under his crossbar. However, the hosts continued to press and former Lochside player Dempster wasn’t to be denied as he pulled a goal back with three first half minutes remaining. Dempster lost his marker and fired a 22-yard shot just over head-height into the net to make it 2-1 at the interval.
Gareth Evans made changes at half time, introducing Callum Kirsop, Robbie Brown and Kenny Wotherspoon, with the latter making only his second Lochside appearance since leaving for Oban Celtic 2006. Lewis Buchanan restored Lochside’s two-goal cushion on 65 minutes when he finished well from outside the ‘D’.

Two goals in two minutes added to Lochside’s lead near the end of the match with Robbie Brown on 85 minutes and David Cameron a minute later making the final score 5-1.

First Robbie Brown caught the ball well from just right of the penalty spot and his waist-high shot beat keeper Reid. Then David Cameron, who has been a great addition since his return to Lochside from a spell playing rugby and was probably their best player on the night, took a pass from Lewis Buchanan and from just left of centre, he scored his first goal for the club.

Mowi Central League

Kilmallie 5 Oban Celtic 2

The Kilmallie reserves beat the Oban Celtic reserves 5-2 in their noon throw-up at the Canal Parks.

Stuart Ross gave Kilmallie the lead on six minutes before a Cam Ross brace on 23 and 29 minutes made it 3-0.

Oban Celtic youngster Ewen Campbell pulled a goal back on 32 minutes to make it 3-1 at the break. Jordan Campbell on 50 minutes and a hat-trick goal from Cam Ross on 75 minutes increased Kilmallie’s advantage before Pearce Mcbeth netted a minute from time to make the final score 5-2.

Bute P Aberdour P

The match between the Bute seconds and the Aberdour seconds at the Meadows was postponed because of the current travel restrictions.

Artemis Macaulay Cup – quarter final

Kinlochshiel P Lovat P

Kinlochshiel requested a Covid-related postponement for their tie against Lovat at Rèaraig. The tie has now been rescheduled for Wednesday August 4 2021 at a neutral Craigard, Invergarry.

Mowi Senior League B

Caberfeidh 3 Newtonmore 4

Newtonmore eventually edged out Caberfeidh 4-3 in an exciting 3pm throw up at Castle Leod.

Liam Symonds was free to play for Cabers but he misses Friday evening’s Mowi Senior League B match against Beauly after passing the disciplinary points threshold.
Newtonmore’s Iain Richardson was sidelined through injury whilst Kenny Ross took over from Owen Fraser in goal.

Newtonmore hit the front with Struan Ross scoring on 10 minutes but Craig Morrison levelled just 60 seconds later.

Scott McLaughlan gave Cabers a 38-minute lead before a second from Struan Ross made it 2-2 with just four first-half minutes remaining.

When referee Andy MacLean awarded the visitors a penalty just five minutes into the second half, Steven MacDonald stepped up to score from the spot. However Kevin Bartlett pulled Cabers back level on 70 minutes to make it 3-3.

It stayed that way until 4 minutes from time when Struan Ross scored to complete his hat-trick and give ’More the win. ’More will be concerned about an injury to Max Campbell with Saturday’s MacTavish Cup tie against Kingussie in mind.

Kingussie 6 Strathglass 0

Kingussie continued their winning streak with a 6-0 victory over Strathglass at the Dell.
There was a minute’s silence ahead of throw up to mark the recent passing of legendary keeper Rab Muir.

The Kings worked hard to break Strathglass down and James Falconer put them in front on 36 minutes with a hard, low shot into the corner of the goal.
Referee Alex MacVicar awarded Kingussie a penalty on the stroke of half-time and Alexander Michie slammed the spot-hit home.

James Falconer got his second just three minutes after the restart, taking a pass from Rory MacGregor – who played at full forward with Craig Dawson in goal – and Falconer beat his man before scoring.

Roddy Young added a fourth on 69 minutes with MacGregor again the provider.
Fraser Munro added his name to the scoresheet on 79 minutes and Roddy Young got his second a couple of minutes later after a great solo run.

Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – first round

Skye Camanachd 5 Lochcarron 0

Skye Camanachd were 5-0 derby winners against Lochcarron at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Will Cowie remained on the Skye injury list whilst John Gillies was unavailable. Martin Pringle and Ross Gordon were also missing so the Skye bench consisted of Chris Rose, David Grant and boss Kenny MacLeod.

Lochcarron boss Murdo John Fraser was also without a number of players including Sean MacCuish and Liam Arnott, who is in Boston. They travelled with just 12 players.
Skye opened the scoring after 17 minutes when William MacKinnon made a run to get onto Jordan Murchison’s low cross from wide on the left and MacKinnon netted from right in front of goal.

James Pringle made it 2-0 on 37 minutes with a fierce shot from left of centre which went low into the net.

Jordan Murchison stroked the ball home from the front of the D after a nice passing move on 57 minutes whilst William Mackinnon’s second on 62 minutes was the goal of the game. MacKinnon fought to win possession in the middle of the field before surging forward and juggling the ball before driving it past the keeper to make it 4-0.
Jordan Murchison got his second three minutes from time, turning home a rebound after James Pringle’s initial effort was saved.

Glenurquhart 1 Beauly 3

Beauly continued their good run with a 3-1 victory over Glenurquhart in their 3pm throw up a Blairbeg.

Beauly’s Ryan MacKay was free of a two-match suspension. Euan MacCormick gave Beauly the lead on 15 minutes when, from just right of centre, he slammed a pass from a short free-hit low into the net on his left side.

Ross Forbes made it 2-0 on 20 minutes when he finished off a quick counter-attack, taking the ball to the edge of the D before slipping it past the keeper to make it 2-0.
However Glen’s Connor Golabeck pulled a goal back a minute later.

The goal came from a set piece with Golabeck gathering a low ball forward before turning and striking the ball on his left side, over the keeper’s right shoulder and into the net.

The Glen had good periods of pressure but were just unable to take their chances.
Ross Forbes restored Beauly’s two-goal cushion just four minutes into the second half. Forbes burst forward on the Beauly left, holding off a challenge and although his initial effort on his left side was blocked, the Beauly attacker swept the rebound into the net on his right side to notch his second goal of the afternoon, making it 3-1.

HIS Sutherland Cup – first round

Glenurquhart 0
Skye Camanachd 1
(after extra-time)

A goal from substitute Ally ‘Digg’ MacDonald gave the Skye Camanachd seconds a 1-0 extra-time victory over the Glenurquhart seconds in their noon throw up at Blairbeg.
An under-strength Skye side travelled with just one substitute and they were forced to introduce MacDonald in the first half when William James Sutherland was hit under the chin.

With both teams just five minutes away from the dreaded penalty shoot-out, Ally ‘Digg’ MacDonald, who is recovering from injury and only travelled because of a shortage of players, scored the only goal of the game. MacDonald gathered Gilleasbuig MacDonald’s hit-in from the right and, with his back to goal, he controlled the ball before turning and firing home on his left side, across the keeper from 15 yards range to send Skye through to the second round where they will face their Kinlochshiel counterparts at Rèaraig this coming Saturday.

HIS Sutherland Cup – second round

Caberfeidh 1
Aberdeen University 4

Donnie MacRae scored four times as Aberdeen University were 4-1 winners against the Caberfeidh second team in their noon throw up at Castle Leod.
Donnie MacRae made the difference in this tie and he notched a first half hat-trick with goals on seven, 18 and 40 minutes and he claimed his and the students’ fourth goal on 51 minutes.

Ruaraidh MacLeman gave Cabers some consolation with a strike on 85 minutes to score for the third successive Saturday.

The SCOTS P Beauly P

The tie between forces side The SCOTS and the Beauly second team was postponed due to travel restrictions.

The Beauly seconds go through to the next round.

Newtonmore 2 Kingussie 4

The derby between the Newtonmore colts and the Kingussie colts at the Eilan went the home side’s way.

Both teams went into the tie having won all their games this season and ’More raced into a 2-0 interval lead with an early Craig Macleod goal on three minutes and Glen MacKintosh’s effort on 37 minutes.

Kingussie came back to level the tie with Dylan Borthwick on 47 minutes and Martin Dallas just three minutes later making it 2-2.

Former Scottish international Glen MacKintosh sent Newtonmore through to the next round when he completed his hat-trick with goals on 70 and 75 minutes to make it 4-2.

Strathglass 2 Lovat 5

The Lovat second team overcame the Strathglass second team 5-2 at Cannich.
Fraser Gallacher gave the visitors an 11-minute lead and Raymond Rennie netted twice on 21 and 33 minutes to make it 3-0.

Strathglass fought back and when Steven Hyslop scored on 35 and 50 minutes, Lovat’s advantage was reduced to a single goal.
But Ryan Ferguson scored on 57 minutes with Gary Marshall firing home on 80 minutes made the final score 5-2.

Mowi North League A

Glengarry P Kinlochshiel P

The clash between Glengarry and the Kinlochshiel second team at Craigard was postponed because of Covid restrictions.

Mowi North League C

Beauly P
Strathspey Camanachd P

The game between the Beauly seconds and Strathspey Camanachd at Braeview Park was called off on Friday as Strathspey were unable to field a team.

WCA round-up

The Women’s Camanachd Association is back under way with most of the matches played on Sunday July 25.

WCA Mowi West Senior League

Ardnamurchan A P Skye Camanachd B 0

The clash between Ardnamurchan A and Skye Camanachd B at Strontian was called off because of Covid restrictions.

Ardnamurchan B P Kinlochshiel P

The match between Ardnamurchan B and Kinlochshiel at Strontian was postponed due to Covid restrictions.