The shinty round up – Saturday July 17 2021

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

The Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup took centre stage on Saturday July 17.

South shinty

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – first round

Southern Section

Ballachulish 2 Bute 3

Bute are through to the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup second round following their hard fought 3-2 victory over Ballachulish at Jubilee Park.

Cain MacPhee was free to play for Ballachulish ahead of a two-match suspension.

Bute took the lead when Ryan James Clark’s long free-hit dropped for Thomas Morrison just inside the penalty spot and his backhand shot beat the keeper at his right post.

The islanders added a second just a minute later when Scott Harvey played a smart one-two with Craig Fisher before scoring on his backhand from left of centre.

Scott Harvey got his second and Bute’s third when he ran left to get onto Marcus Planck’s long free-hit before turning inside and shooting low into the net to make it 3-0 at the break.

Ballachulish introduced John MacDonald at half back and he helped turn the tie in the host’s favour.

David Grant got Ballachulish back into it when he gathered Cian MacPhee’s free-hit with his back to goal and quickly turned before tucking the ball into the net with a backhand shot from the left.

Things got interesting when Michael Slezas made it 3-2, turning the ball home from a tight angle on the left.

Bute stayed in front, however, and they now travel to Kilmallie for their second round tie this Saturday, July 24.

Bute’s James Craig said: ‘I watched Ballachulish in Oban last week and thought they stepped their game up this week. We looked like we’d win quite convincingly in the first half but they put John MacDonald on at half back and he tidied things up at the back. But we got there in the end and it was a job well done.’

Ballachulish’s Alan Clark added: ‘I’d like to congratulate Bute and wish them all the best in the next round. It was a game of two halves. They were the better team in the first half but we came into it in the second half and if the game had gone on for an extra 10 minutes, I think we could have got an equaliser to take it to extra time.’

Dylan Cooke, Oban Celtic, battles with Stewart Grant of Glasgow Mid Argyll. Photograph Kevin McGlynn.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – second round

Southern Section

Oban Celtic 3 Glasgow Mid Argyll 2

Mowi National Division side Oban Celtic recorded one of their best results over recent seasons, coming from behind to beat Mowi Premiership side Glasgow Mid Argyll (GMA) 3-2 at Mossfield.

Craig MacMillan made a surprise return from injury for Oban Celtic, taking his place at half back where he played the 90 minutes in a defence also containing Peter Currie, David Hill and Andy MacDonald. Lewis Mcphee was on holiday.

GMA were without Garry Luke and Ally McKerracher, the latter missing the chance to face his former club. Stewart Grant returned and manager Mark Bain was one of his side’s two substitutes.

Oban Celtic made a powerful start to the game, forcing two early corners and testing visiting keeper Jonathan Oates.

Daniel MacMillan, in particular, was causing the GMA defence problems, testing marker Jon Don MacKenzie with his pace.

So when GMA broke the deadlock on 21 minutes, the goal came against the run of play. The ball was initially played up the middle before being spread out to the left and back in where Ewan Fraser finished well with a low, hard shot.

Oban Celtic scored a deserved equaliser on 33 minutes. Andy MacDonald, who was solid with a good range of passing throughout, drove a long ball out of defence to Daniel MacMillan who got by Jon Don Mackenzie before sending a shot screaming into the net from 30 yards.

Neil Carmichael at centre, flanked by Dylan Cooke and George MacMillan, ensured Oban forwards Ross MacMillan, Daniel MacMillan, Lennon Campbell and Duncan MacDonald, who were full of running, saw plenty of the ball.

Oban Celtic lost Daniel MacMillan on 43 minutes. He suffered a blow under the knee-cap just a couple of minutes after suffering a foot injury so youngster Ewen Campbell, a similar type of player, came on in his place.

GMA, who moved Oliver MacRae up front from centre, started the second half well, pinning the hosts back as they enjoyed their best spell of pressure in the tie. Allan Duncan in the Celtic goal had to save well on a couple of occasions to keep his side level.

It was Oban Celtic’s turn to score against the run of play on 63 minutes. Dylan Cooke sent the ball across to Ewen Campbell who lost his marker and, from a tight angle on the righ, Campbell rifled the ball into the opposite top corner of the net to follow up the previous week’s debut goal in the Macaulay with one in the Scottish.

Oban Celtic had to make another change when Andy MacDonald was hit in the mouth. William MacEwan came off the bench to go onto the wing, with George MacMillan moving to half back where he again did well. MacDonald tried to come back on but the bleeding wouldn’t stop sufficiently to referee Des McNulty’s satisfaction.

GMA drew level with just 14 minutes to go. A ball into the home defence was only cleared as far as Oliver MacRae and the former Kinlochshiel player fired the ball low into the net to make it 2-2.

But Oban Celtic’s response was immediate and they were back in front just a minute later. Neil Carmichael won the centre, playing the ball to William MacEwan. MacEwan’s ball forward found Ross MacMillan who beat his marker before racing in on goal and flicking the ball past advancing keeper Jonathan Oates.

Daniel MacMillan came back on for the injured Dylan Cooke.

GMA pressed in an attempt to take the tie into extra time, but Oban Celtic dropped deep and the home keeper and defence stood up to the challenge.

The sides are scheduled to meet again this Saturday in a Mowi Senior League C clash at Peterson Park.

With Dougie MacIntyre still unavailable, Les Kinvig again took the side, assisted by Allan Duffy, making it two wins out of two. Speaking afterwards, Les Kinvig said: ‘We didn’t do anything different. It was the same players in the same positions but it just shows what the boys can achieve when they are on their game.

‘It was a good all-round performance and it wouldn’t be fair to pick anyone out. We deserved to win and other than a spell at the start of the second half when we struggled a bit, it was a great performance.

‘We have a busy week ahead with the first team playing GMA again and the seconds at Kilmallie. I’m particularly pleased for the seconds as the youngsters are desperate to get regular games.’

Oban Celtic and Oban Camanachd have agreed to play their Artemis Macaulay Cup quarter final tie at Mossfield on Wednesday July 28. Lachie Wood will be the match referee.

Ross MacMillan scores the third goal for Oban Celtic in the Camanachd Cup tie at Mossfield on Saturday to give Celtic a 3-2 victory. Photograph Kevin McGlynn.
Ross MacMillan celebrates with his brother Daniel after scoring the winner for Oban Celtic. They both got on the score sheet in the Camanachd Cup seccond round tie. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Fort William P Oban Camanachd P

There was disappointment for Fort William and Oban Camanachd as their much anticipated tie at An Aird was postponed because of covid restrictions.

The tie has been rescheduled for this Saturday.

Kyles Athletic P Inveraray P

Kyles Athletic and Inveraray were left idle as their 3pm throw up at the Playing Fields, Tighnabruaich, was postponed because of covid restrictions.

HIS Sutherland Cup – first round

Section 4

Kyles Athletic P Glenorchy P

The clash between Kyles Athletic reserves and Glenorchy at the Playing Fields, Tighnabruaich, was another covid-related cancellation on Friday afternoon.

Mowi South League A

Taynuilt P Lochside Rovers P

Taynuilt and Lochside Rovers agreed to reschedule their match at the Taynuilt Sports Field to Wednesday July 21.

Inveraray P Col Glen P

The tie between the Inveraray seconds and Col Glen at the Winterton was postponed because of covid restrictions.

Mowi South League B

Glasgow Mid Argyll P Aberdour P

The Glasgow Mid Argyll colts and the Aberdour colts were due to meet for the second successive Saturday, this time at Peterson Park. However, the game was another covid-related cancellation.

Mowi Central League

Kilmory P Ardnamurchan P

Kilmory’s 2pm throw-up with Ardnamurchan at MacRae Park was postponed because of the current travel restrictions.

North shinty

The Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup took centre stage on Saturday July 17.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – second round

Northern Section

Newtonmore 0 Kingussie 2

Newtonmore and Kingussie met at the Eilan for the second successive Saturday, this time in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup.

A 3-1 win saw Kingussie progress in the Artemis Macaulay Cup a week earlier and they did it again, knocking holders Newtonmore out of the Scottish with a 2-0 triumph.

Newtonmore had Steven Macdonald back following suspension and Savio Genini returned for Kingussie following injury. Thomas Borthwick, however, looks set for a spell on the sidelines following his knee injury against Newtonmore the previous week.

There was a strong wind which made it difficult for both sides.

Roddy Young celebrates the second goal for Kingussie. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Kingussie took the lead a couple of minutes before half-time. Roddy Young’s corner from the left was knocked down but only as far as Ruaridh Anderson on the left who swept the ball to Savio Genini on the left of the ‘D’ and he took a touch before turning and lashing the ball into the net.

There were just a couple of second minutes gone when Roddy Young added a second. Ruaridh Anderson’s corner from the right went across field where it was gathered by Fraser Munro. Munro’s low ball found Roddy Young on the left of the ‘D’ and he made enough space to turn and shoot home.

Owen Fraser in the home goal made several very good saves throughout.

Newtonmore keeper Owen Fraser keeps his eye on the ball. Photograph Neil Paterson.

Glenurquhart 0 Kinlochshiel 3

Kinlochshiel scored three times in the first half to beat Glenurquhart 3-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Blairbeg.

Glenurquhart full back Lachie Smith had been unwell ahead of the game but opted to play. There were places for Finlay Robertson, Liam Robertson and Fergus Robertson as well as Chris Mack in a much-changed line-up for this season, with John Barr on the bench.

Mark MacDonald, knee, and Conor Cormack, hand fracture, were missing from the Kinlochshiel defence. With David Falconer also unavailable, Duncan Matheson dropped back to wing back where he caught the eye with a determined performance and a real desire to get to the ball first. Jonnie Macaskill also came into the starting line-up and he, too, was effective.

A first senior goal from Arran Jack gave Kinlochshiel the advantage on 10 minutes and John MacRae doubled their lead on 20 minutes.

With five first half minutes remaining, a Kinlochshiel ball forward may have being going out of play, but Lachie Smith chested it infield where it fell for Ali Nixon who finished from close range to make it 3-0.

The closest Glenurquhart came in the first half was a Connor Golabeck effort which went over the top.

There were no goals in the second half and although Kinlochshiel continued to have most of the play, Glenurquhart keeper Stuart MacKintosh dealt with everything that came his way.

Lachie Smith did well for Glenurquhart who are using this season to give important game time to several promising young players.

Donald Nixon was again excellent for Kinlochshiel in the middle of the park.

Kinlochshiel manager Johnston Gill will be concerned to have lost Keith MacRae early in the match with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

Caberfeidh 3 Beauly 3, after extra time

Beauly won 3-1 on penalties

Caberfeidh and Beauly drew 3-3 after extra time before the visitors ran out 3-1 penalty shoot-out winners in their tie at Castle Leod.

Caberfeidh put measures in place to allow 224 spectators from both clubs to attend, subject to certain restrictions.

Beauly’s Ryan MacKay was suspended so missed the chance to face his former club.

Beauly started well, although Caberfeidh’s Craig Morrison had an effort ruled out for a ‘kick’ in the lead-up.

Beauly went back on the attack though, with Sean Stewart giving them the lead on 21 minutes after Iain McCall’s initial save wasn’t cleared.

Caberfeidh fought back though. Craig Morrison turned his marker before blasting home on 37 minutes and Kevin Bartlett lost his man to net on 42 minutes, giving the hosts a 2-1 advantage at the interval.

Beauly went back on the attack from the re-start and David MacLean made it 2-2 on 67 minutes.

With no further scoring, referee Deek Cameron took the tie into extra time.

Beauly went back on the offensive and Robbie Brindle took advantage of a poor clearance to put Caberfeidh back in front on 97 minutes.

But Craig Morrison notched his second goal of the game with a rocket-shot on 104 minutes and it finished 3-3 after two hours of shinty.

Beauly keeper Duncan Fraser made the difference in the penalty shoot-out as his side won 3-1 to take a place in the quarter final draw.

Skye Camanachd P Lovat P

Skye Camanachd’s tie with Lovat at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, was postponed as the islanders are in the second week of a two-week shinty suspension – a precautionary measure taken due to a rise in covid cases in the area.

Southern Section

Fort William P Oban Camanachd P

There was disappointment for Fort William and Oban Camanachd as their much- anticipated tie at An Aird was postponed because of covid restrictions.

The tie has been rescheduled for this Saturday.

Alvance British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – first round

Lochaber 3 Inverness 0

The Lochaber first team took the field for the first time this season and made a winning start, beating the Inverness senior side 3-0 at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber took the lead on 37 minutes, with Ben Delaney scoring.

The tie remained in the balance until the closing stages. Pat Toal added a second on 86 minutes with Ben Delaney getting his second a couple of minutes later.

HIS Sutherland Cup – first round

Section 3

Inverness 0 Strathglass 5

The Strathglass colts overcame the Inverness colts, winning 5-0 at the Bught Park.

Sam Cumming from Strathglass was banned following his red card against the Beauly seconds last month.

Steven Hyslop got the visitors off to a great start with a goal after three minutes.

Cammy Price gave Strathglass a comfortable 3-0 advantage at the break with goals on 21 and 45 minutes.

Ali Rothe on 52 minutes and Innes Hood on 61 minutes completed the 5-0 victory.

Glenurquhart P Skye Camanachd P

The tie between the Glenurquhart seconds and the Skye Camanachd seconds was postponed because of covid restrictions introduced by Skye.

Strathdearn Cup – Second Round

Glenurquhart 0 Newtonmore 2

The Newtonmore second team ran out 2-0 winners against the Glenurquhart second team in their noon throw-up at Blairbeg.

Newtonmore broke the deadlock five minutes before the break with Glen MacKintosh scoring, the ball taking a deflection on the way past Iain MacLeod in the Glenurquhart goal.

Somhairle Thomson ran in with the ball to make made it 2-0 on 54 minutes.

Kingussie 5 Kinlochshiel 1

The Kingussie colts came from a goal down to defeat the Kinlochshiel colts 5-1 in their 1.30pm throw-up at the Dell.

Kingussie were able to field Martin Dallas after his appearance for the first team against Newtonmore the previous week and he put in a man-of-the-match performance.

Kinlochshiel manager Willie MacRae lost three players to the first team, leaving him short of options in attack.

However, it was the visitors who took the lead with Archie MacRae scoring on 29 minutes. Kingussie responded well though and Michael Slimon netted on 32 and 38 minutes to give his side a 2-1 lead at the turnaround.

Martin Dallas on 49 minutes and Iain Fraser on 62 minutes made it 4-1 before Michael Slimon completed his hat-trick seven minutes from time.

Mowi Senior League B

Strathglass P Lovat P

The encounter between Strathglass and Lovat at Cannich was postponed because of covid restrictions.

Mowi North League A

Glengarry 4 Lochcarron 1

Glengarry bounced back from their defeat to the Fort William seconds the previous weekend to defeat Lochcarron 4-1 at Craigard.

Shaun Nicolson gave the hosts the lead on 25 minutes but Sean MacCuish netted on 33 minutes to make it 1-1 at the break.

The second half belonged to Glengarry though with Nick Dalgety putting them back in front a minute after the re-start and Raymond Robertson’s brace on 56 and 63 minutes made the final score 4-1.

Mowi North League B

Lovat 3 Caberfeidh 1

The meeting between the Lovat seconds and the Caberfeidh seconds at Balgate was brought forward to Friday July 16 with a 7pm throw-up.

Lovat edged in front on 15 minutes through Raymond Rennie.

However, Ruairidh MacLeman netted for the second successive Saturday to equalise ten minutes later.

Lovat regained the lead on 34 minutes through Ryan Ferguson and it remained 2-1 until the break.

Cammie MacMillan found the net on 70 minutes to give the hosts a two-goal cushion and they stayed in front until the end.

Mowi North League C

Aberdeen University P Beauly P

Aberdeen University’s game with the Beauly second team at Balgownie will be rescheduled because of travel restrictions affecting the young Beauly side.

Mowi Central League

Kilmallie 1 Lochaber 0

The Kilmallie reserves edged out the Lochaber reserves, winning 1-0 in their derby clash at Canal Parks.

With no senior game, first team manager Martin Stewart was given a run out for the seconds and he made the difference, scoring the only goal of the game on 55 minutes. A nice ball over from Ross Mackenzie caught out the Lochaber defence and Martin Stewart took the ball on the volley, firing it past keeper from the penalty spot to make it 1-0.

Kilmallie are playing well, with a run of games under their belt. A few of their young players have stepped up with the first team manager present and may well have played their way into the senior squad to face Bute this Saturday.