Oban man jailed over A816 crash

The High Court in Edinburgh.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

A motorist who caused the death of a woman driver after driving dangerously was jailed for three years today (Wednesday June 9).

Samuel Lloyd crossed into the opposing carriageway of the A816 near Kilmelford before colliding with a Citroen being driven by Julie Goodman who sustained fatal injuries.

A judge told Lloyd that Ms Goodman, who ran the Little Potting Shed Cafe in Oban with her husband, had done nothing wrong before the crash.

Lady Scott said the victim was a ‘well loved’ woman who had been enjoying her life when it was sadly taken from her. Her family and friends were left devastated.

Lloyd, 28, was driving northbound on the Lochgilphead to Oban road on the morning of October 15 in 2018 when the tragedy occurred.

Lady Scott told him at the High Court in Edinburgh: ‘This was a road that you knew well.’
The judge said that to cross the central line when it appeared he did not know what was coming presented ‘an obvious risk of danger’. Lloyd, of Rockfield Road, Oban, was earlier convicted following a trial of causing the death of 58-year-old Mrs Goodman by driving dangerously near to Oude Dam. He failed to maintain proper observations and crossed into the opposing carriageway when it was not safe to do so.

Lady Scott acknowledged that he was driving within the speed limit at the time and has shown ‘considerable remorse’.

She said a background report prepared on Lloyd was ‘positive’ and suggested that there was no indication he would reoffend.

She told him: ‘I have read the many testimonials in your favour which are compelling.’

The judge banned him from driving for five years and told him he would have to resit an extended test.

Defence counsel Niall McCluskey said Lloyd has shown genuine remorse and his mental health has suffered. He said Lloyd had previously offered to plead guilty to the lesser offence of causing death by careless driving.

Mr McCluskey said that aggravating features such as speeding or driving after consuming drink or drugs were not present in the case.

Lloyd was also convicted of using the vehicle he was driving at the time while uninsured or unsecured against third party risks.