Fort William MTB World Cup cancelled

Amaury Pierron stormed to victory at the UK leg of the Mercedes-Benz UCI Mountain Bike World Cup at Fort William in 2019. Photo: Phunkt.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

The organisers of the Mercedes-Benz UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in Fort William have announced that the event scheduled for May 22-23 is cancelled.

Every effort had been made by the organisers, with significant support and backing from Scottish Government and EventScotland, to develop an appropriate event plan and set of protocols with the Covid-19 mitigation requirements necessary for the safe delivery of a behind closed-door event at the Nevis Range ski area.

Despite the best efforts and support of all partners involved in the development, the restrictions that will likely still be in place have made it difficult to proceed with these plans with confidence.

The organisers have reluctantly decided that the risks and challenges are too great to proceed with the event according to the safety standards imposed by the current pandemic.

Mike Jardine from organisers, Rare Management, said: ‘This cancellation is a blow to us as an organising team as much as it will be for the entire mountain bike community but especially the UK stars who won’t be able to perform in front of their home crowd.

‘Reece Wilson, from the Scottish Borders, should have been celebrating his World Champion title on his home track. Instead, the Fort William World Cup team will focus on the future and return bigger, better and more passionate than ever.’

Options for a later date are still being examined with a final decision to be announced in the next few weeks.