Seventh High School year plan for pupils needing extra support

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

Plans to offer a seventh year at secondary school to S6 pupils in Argyll and Bute with additional support needs have won the approval of councillors.

A report suggesting that the offer could be made on a one-off basis due to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic was unanimously backed by the council’s community services committee.

The option was proposed to be made available to 11 young people across the area – at least two in each of the four administrative areas of the council.

It is estimated that an additional 140 hours of support staff time per week would be needed, costing the council £85,540, if all 11 pupils took up the option.

The community services committee held its meeting virtually on Thursday, March 11.

Helensburgh Central SNP councillor Lorna Douglas said: ‘I think this is an inspiring idea. It is absolutely brilliant.

‘It ensures a much smoother transition into adulthood than what has gone before and I absolutely back the recommendation.’

Oban North and Lorn independent councillor Kieron Green, chairing the meeting in the absence of Cowal Conservative councillor Yvonne McNeilly, also backed the recommendation.

He said: ‘I am sure you are not the only one with those thoughts. It is a great idea to recognise that this hasn’t happened in living memory for most people.’

The committee then unanimously agreed to the recommendations.

Council executive director Douglas Hendry had previously said in a report: ‘The Covid-19 global pandemic will have implications for many children and young people’s wellbeing and achievement.

‘To ensure equity, careful consideration requires to be given to our most vulnerable children and young people.

‘For those with complex needs and a disability making the transition from school to their adult lives is already a very challenging and anxious time for them and their families.

‘It is important that across services steps are taken to reduce the chance of young people being disadvantaged further. It is therefore asked that the recommendation is considered and agreed.’

 

Caption: Councillor Kieron Green has supported plans for a seventh High School year for pupils needing extra support because of the Covid pandemic

no_a39KieronGreen01