Trading Standards warning

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Trading Standards Officers have sent out a warning about two similar scams doing the rounds at the moment – HMRC and Broadband telephone scams.

An automated call claims a court official is preparing a case against you and asks you to respond as a matter of urgency, or that your response is time sensitive.

This is a trick used to put you under pressure to respond before you have time to think. One call states they are preparing for your arrest.

Whilst these calls are clearly scams to get you to give personal and financial details, some residents may be scared or frightened into responding due to the formal and urgent nature of the call.

A spokesperson, said: ‘Our best advice is to end the call immediately.’

Scam calls can be reported to Trading Standards by contacting your local authority.