Cup exit in first outing for Fort FC

Fort William captain John Treasurer made a return on Saturday.

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Fort William FC bowed out of the 2020/21 Scottish Cup after losing out 5-1 away from home against Keith at Kynoch Park in Fort’s first game of the season.

This game also saw the return of club captain John Treasurer, who has been out with a serious injury for 15 months.

The visitors conceded two early goals in the first 15 minutes with last seasons Highland League top goal scorer Cammy Keith grabbing them both.

Fort took one back through 16-year-old Fort William native Jamie McConnell, who scored a goal-of-the-tournament contender with a strike from 35-40 yards, lobbing the goalkeeper and bringing the visitors back into the game.

A confident end to the first half saw Fort maintain the 2-1 score line going into the break.

Fort continued their good form into the second 45, having an opportunity on the counter attack where Connor Moore had a big chance from 15 yards, which went narrowly wide in the 57th minute.

Keith grabbed a third with a back-post header from Logan Watt in the 65th minute.

The hosts showed their fitness levels and match sharpness, having already played three competitive games this season and added a further two goals in the closing 10 minutes of the match through a Liam Duncan rebound and a James Brownie strike from the edge of the box.

The game finished 5-1 to the Moray side but there are some positives to take from the game.

Fort return to action when they make the journey to the champions of the Highland League, Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park in Brora next Saturday in the Fort’s first league game of the season. Kick-off is at 3pm.