Big effort from Brown but Saints edge win

Youngsters Aaron McKay and Lewis Moran in close contact at a Saints corner along with SLT star keeper Andrew Brown. Photograph: Derek Black.

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Oban Saints 1 South Lochaber Thistle 0

Oban Saints emerged victorious in this friendly encounter at Oban Community Sports Field, despite a positive performance from a youthful South Lochaber Thistle side.

Held under Covid-safe conditions, carefully handled by referee Martin Rae, both teams were looking to play exciting attacking football.

It was the home side which made the best start to the game. Jags’ keeper Andrew Brown made the first of a string of fine saves in a man-of-the-match performance.

Early on, Brown first had to power through a pile of bodies from an Oban freekick and then be alert again to deny Matt Kelly, who had got in behind the Thistle defence.

An injury to an Oban player saw Myles McAuley come on in the home side’s midfield. It was the substitute who made the breakthrough with what proved to be the winning goal.

A shot from Gavin Forgrieve forced Brown into a save and the concession of a corner. His ball went to the penalty spot and McAuley powered his header into the roof of the net to open and – as it turned out – conclude the scoring.

Both sides played tight, attacking football for the rest of the game. Brown was called upon again and made several fine stops.

Saints pressed for the second goal as the second half was well underway but the Kinlochleven outfit had chances of their own.

Impish skipper Martin Munro scampered away from the defence and was only denied by some fine defending from Steven MacLeod and soon after by Martin Bonar, who cleared off the line.

Brown had several more stops to his name – one, a flying palm over the bar, out of the  top draw.

However, the one goal deficit remained and that was how the match ended.

South Lochaber Thistle manager Alan Gray said: ‘This was another fine performance from the lads and, on a different day, we could have got a better result.

‘Oban had some chances and Andrew Brown had to be in outstanding form, but we looked threatening ourselves on a number of occasions.

‘Thanks to Willie Gemmell and the Oban lads for an excellent game, played in a good competitive spirit.’