Women’s taxi fight ends with driver involved

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

An argument between two women in a taxi from Oban spilled over into a fight – with the driver also getting involved, a court has heard.

Lindsey Lawson, 34,  and Matthew Moore, 21, both pleaded guilty to a single charge of assault on a woman which took place at MacVicar Court, Dunbeg, on March 19.

Prosecutor David Glancy told the court that the complainer and Lawson, had got a taxi to Dunbeg and were collected by Moore.

The complainer was in the back, with Lawson in the front, but an argument developed between the two women, said Mr Glancy.

The taxi driver left them alone for a short time but a fight broke out inside the vehicle which then spilled outside on to the street, the court heard.

Moore tried to break it up but was unable to do so and resorted to kicking the complainer twice on the head, Mr Glancy told the court.

The complainer was kept in hospital overnight and underwent an X-ray but had only suffered a scratch on the forehead and a soft tissue injury, the court heard.

Edward Thornton, representing Lawson, of 1 Hillside, Dunbeg, said the incident was ‘totally and completely’ out of character and her view was that she acted in self defence.

‘Lindsey Lawson is not someone who gets involved in this sort of behaviour,’ said Mr Thornton. ‘She allowed her temper to get the better of her and accepts she went beyond self defence.’

Mr Thornton told the Sheriff that the complainer in the case was ‘well known’ to the court and had a ‘substantial history’ of violence, with too much alcohol having been consumed.

Moore, of 2 Victoria Place, Oban, was not represented by a solicitor.

Asked if he had anything to say, Moore told the court: ‘Anything we did do was in pure self defence. She was way out of order and started fighting in the car before we even got out.’

Both accused were fined £150 each and ordered to pay it at £20 per fortnight.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes told the court that a line had been crossed and any suggestion of kicking to the head was ‘inherently dangerous’.