Want to read more?
At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.
To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.
We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device. In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).
A man who assaulted two people in ‘disturbing’ unprovoked incidents in Oban town centre has been fined £900.
Daniel Brandon Torrie, aged 21, of Connel Road, Oban, pled guilty at a court hearing in September to two charges of assault which happened on November 22, 2019, and June 24, 2020.
That hearing was adjourned for reports with Sheriff Patrick Hughes, who told Torrie at the time that the incidents ‘met the threshold of custody’ and were ‘deeply concerning’.
Appearing at Oban Sheriff Court for sentencing on Wednesday November 4, Torrie was told the assault in November last year was ‘wholly unprovoked’.
It took place near 111 George Street on a 46-year-old male visitor from overseas who just happened to be walking through the area shortly after Torrie had been asked to leave Coasters.
The assault in June took place in Craigard Road, Oban, at 6.50pm and was a case of ‘mistaken identity’ on the accused’s part, the court was told.
Sheriff Patrick Hughes told Torrie that the level of violence involved had been particularly ‘disturbing’.
He added that the assault on the visitor to Oban must have been a ‘horrific experience’ for someone visiting the country, but he was prepared to regard the incidents as a one-off.
However, the Sheriff said he expected the incidents not to be repeated and imposed fines of £300 and £600 respectively to be paid at £50 per month.
Kevin McGinness, representing, said that Torrie, who worked on a fishing boat had fully accepted the findings of the reports and had taken full responsibility for both incidents.
His client had had a very ‘unsettled’ childhood and had come to reside in the area with his grandparents, said Mr McGinness.
He was regarded as a ‘low risk’ of reoffending, he added.