Want to read more?
At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.
To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.
We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device. In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).
A decision will be taken in the next couple of weeks on the fate of this year’s Remembrance Parade.
Councillor Jim Lynch said there would not be a full parade as in previous years but there might be a possibility of one reduced in size.
Even a smaller parade could still attract people wanting to watch it and social distancing could be compromised. Safety has to take priority, added Councillor Lynch.
However, there are plans to work on a video that could be released as part of a Plan B, marking the important commemoration.
‘We are going ahead with doing all the paperwork and putting in requests to the council for the parade but at the moment processions are all banned. It might change with the First Minister’s announcement on October 15 but timing will be getting tight,’ said Councillor Lynch.
Last year, Oban’s Remembrance Day parade and poppy appeal was saved thanks to Oban Sea Cadets and Councillor Lynch who took it on.
Previously organised by the Oban branch of the Royal British Legion Scotland (RBLS), the traditional Armistice Day events, held to remember members of the armed forces who died in the line of duty, were put in jeopardy after the local RBLS officially closed its doors in February 2019.
About 400 people turned out to join in and watch last year’s remembrance parade along the esplanade from the Corran Halls to the war memorial where wreaths were laid.
Oban Community Council members also heard at their meeting on September 24 than on advice from Argyll and Bute Council’s environmental health department there would be no fireworks in November or at Hogmanay, no reindeer parade or Christmas lights switch on.
The meeting was told the decision had not been taken lightly but was reassured the town will still be lit up for the festive season and there will be Christmas trees.