Worker stole from Oban hotel

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

A hotel worker who admitted stealing over £400 has appeared before Oban Sheriff Court.

Dylan Negus, now living with his family at Croftside, Ulcombe Road, Headcorn in Kent, was charged with stealing £410 from the Oban Bay Hotel while working there on April 30 in 2018.

Negus  pleaded guilty at a previous hearing but after reports to the sheriff, the court heard last week how the 23-year-old was on bail at the time, had been homeless and at a loose end with no money and having just got his foot back on the ladder of employment, lost it by committing the offence.

‘This was a sharp lesson to him,’ said his defending solicitor Kevin McGinness.

Negus had only worked at the hotel for one week before the incident, the court was told.

As an alternative to custody, Oban sheriff Patrick Hughes ordered Negus to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work within 18 months and put him under 12 months of social work department supervision.