Cancelled Tiree Wave Classic rolls over to March

The Tiree Wave Classic has been rolled over to next march instead of next month due to Covid.

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

Tiree Wave Classic 2020 has been rolled over to next March.

It was ‘with regret’ and after a lengthy discussion with the Department of Environmental Health at Argyll and Bute Council that organisers of the international windsurfing competition concluded it would ‘not be in the best interest of the event or the community of Tiree’ to proceed with it in October.

The new dates are March 13 to March 19 inclusive.

Tiree Wave Classic is the longest running professional windsurfing event in the world, having started in 1986.

Last week The Oban Times reported how there had been concerns from some islanders and a leading councillor about the world competition going ahead next month when Tiree had so far managed to stay Covid-free.

Councillor Roddy McCuish, who previously said it would be ‘madness’ to run the event during Covid, said: ‘I’m delighted the organisers have reviewed it going ahead and I’m sure locals on Tiree will also be delighted with the risk being removed of Covid being spread on the island.’

Tiree Wave Classic said in a Facebook post it hoped to see as many as possible that had committed to the October dates come back in March.

Entry for further competitors to register for March is now re-opening with online registration closing for the new competition dates on Friday February 12.

Event hosts Wild Diamond still plan to offer advanced training for youngsters during the October half term so there should be no disappointment for the younger riders, other than them not having the opportunity to meet their heros.

‘Apologies to everyone who was looking forward once again to the thrill of competition. Hopefully March can deliver an event for us. We thank everyone who worked with us through our Covid consultation process and helped us over the past six months. Much appreciated and if we are able to deliver in March, all of our efforts will still have been worthwhile,’ said event organisers.