Three call outs in one weekend for Oban lifeboat

Photo of Sunday's first Oban Lifeboat call out by Stephen Lawson

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Nine people and one dog were rescued by Oban lifeboat over the weekend.

The volunteer crew of Oban’s Mora Edith MacDonald were called out to three separate incidents.

The first on Sunday at 2.23pm was to help a  six-metre dive RIB with five people on board after its engine failed at the south end of Kerrera. The lifeboat towed it back to the Port Beag slipway in Oban where it was put back on to its trailer.

The second call came at 11.17pm after UK Coastguard  got reports of a person in the water at Corpach. An update that the person was safe on shore shortly after the lifeboat launched, meant the crew could return to base.

But just half an hour later, a yacht that had dragged its anchor and run aground in the Tinkers Hole anchorage at the south western tip of the Ross of
Mull was in need of help. It was understood that the yacht’s crew had abandoned the vessel in fear of its capsizing.

When the crew got to the scene just after 2am, ‘It was clear that the
yacht was well aground and in danger of capsizing at any moment. Two people had made it ashore, they were cold, wet and in shock at this time,’ said an RNLI spokesperson.

The lifeboat deployed a craft with two crew members on board to pick up the casualties and assess the damage to the yacht but discovered there were two more people and a Bernese Mountain dog in the group, who had been camping on another island north of the anchorage.

Due to no phone signal, they were out of contact and unaware of what had happened to the yacht.

The two crew members along with the yacht’s owner set off to locate the other group members. Once everyone was accounted for and safely transferred aboard the lifeboat, the volunteer crew secured the yacht by running ropes ashore to  stop if from drifting free when the tide would begin to rise.

‘It was understood that the owners would revisit the vessel the following day to refloat it,’ added the RNLI spokeperson.

The lifeboat with the four rescued people and dog on board got back to Oban at 6.30am to get ready for its next shout.