Inn closure will help it survive, says director

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

A landmark pub in Taynuilt has announced that it will not reopen for months.

The Taynuilt Inn does not plan to reopen again ‘for the foreseeable future,’ despite the return of tourism and lockdown restrictions being eased this month.

Making the announcement on the inn’s Facebook page, area operations manager Mark Lambson said it was ‘with a heavy heart’ that the decision had been made.

The inn, on the busy A85, had been shut for more than two years before being completely refurbished and reopened last summer after significant investment.

The coronavirus pandemic then shut it down with a number of staff having to be furloughed.

Businessman Calum MacLachlainn, one of the directors overseeing The Taynuilt Inn Ltd, told The Oban Times this week that the temporary closure was a strategic decision to save the pub longer term.

The alternative was incurring larger costs and then struggling through half a summer before going into winter when tourism dips, he said, which could make the business unviable, particularly with concerns about a second wave of coronavirus in winter.

Mr MacLachlainn, originally from Mull and brought up in Uist, is involved in a number of different enterprises from Oban to Mull, Fort William and the central belt.

He has partnerships with fellow businessman and restaurateur Paul Sloan, a co-director of The Taynuilt Inn.

Mr MacLachlainn said: ‘After trading all winter to effectively go into another winter without a proper summer it is not viable. All we do is we will just have to mothball it until next March.

‘The costs to mothball are limited but the minute you open the costs go up and because of those costs you will go backwards and put the company at risk, he said.

‘If it was to open in winter there is a very high risk it would not open again in March. I have never been involved in any business that has gone into liquidation and I don’t intend to start now,’ he said.

‘A lot of seasonal businesses do not make a lot of money during winter and you can’t survive on two (winters). We have only been trading the Taynuilt Inn for a year and a half so we are still in the early years and the first three years are harder than normal.’

Mr MacLachlainn pledged that the business would be back – barring another coronavirus lockdown later in the year.

Originally a 16th-century coaching inn, The Taynuilt Inn saw major investment and had hoped to appeal to the golfing market, being close to the nine-hole village golf course, along with courses at Dalmally and Glencruitten in Oban.

Brander Lodge Hotel, at Bridge of Awe, Taynuilt, also announced it too plans to stay closed ‘until further notice’.

In a statement on its Facebook page, the family-run property said it was ‘unable to recommence trading at this time,’ but would continue to review the situation, with it possibly reopening in March 2021 to coincide with the Spring wedding season.

The statement, signed by the Keats family, said ‘the dangers of the pandemic’ coupled with ‘disruption to the business’ was behind the decision.