Want to read more?
At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.
To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.
We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device. In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).
At the time of writing Glencruitten Golf Club membership had been boosted by around 50 new take-ups as select outdoor sports facilities prepare to open their gates again this weekend.
Following positive discussions between Scottish Golf, SportScotland and the Scottish Government, the Oban club welcomed the news that their golfing community will benefit from the revised guidance for exercise and announced that the course will reopen from tomorrow providing they get the nod from the First Minister today.
Club captain George McKenzie said: ‘Everything is looking good for the reopening and we look forward to welcoming members old and new.
‘We’ve had a tremendous response since we announced that we would be reopening last week with around 50 new members joining the club.
‘We have had tremendous support from the sporting community within the town during lockdown. Oban Saints, the shinty clubs and the rugby club have joined our massive volunteer support network with many of them joining as well.
‘The course is looking stunning and I would like to thank all of those people who gave up their time to help us achieve that.
In line with government advice the course will only be open for current members who have paid their membership for this year (2020).
In order to play, tee times must be booked in advance via the phone number – 07565 194152 (please note that this is limited to 2 balls only at this moment).
The club is asking all members to read and adhere to the guidance that has been set out by the Scottish Government, listed below:
• Physical distancing rules outlined by the Scottish Government should always be adhered to.
• Members who are in the highest risk (shielding) group outlined by the Government should stay away from the golf club.
• Members with colds or any symptoms of COVID-19 should not be allowed on the premises.
• Tee-times should be managed and booked in advance – there will be no turn up and play allowed. This must be documented and kept for a period of at least six weeks to assist with contact tracing should the need arise.
• Do not arrive at the first tee more than 10 minutes before your allotted tee time
• All clubhouse facilities will remain closed with the exception of the locker room/toilets which we will operate a strict one in one out policy
• There are no social gatherings, of any size, at the facility.
• The practice range and putting green will remain closed.
• Flags and bunker rakes must not be touched at any time. Holes/cups will be altered to facilitate easy retrieval of golf balls.
It should be noted that the Scottish Government continues to monitor the situation closely and has not ruled out the reintroduction of restrictions, which could see golf suspended once again if public health measures dictate, or if the guidelines are not followed.
For membership forms and more information email firstname.lastname@example.org