Ardgour Community Council holds March meeting

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

Ardgour Community Council met on Thursday March 12 at the Abernethy Centre, Kilmalieu.

Community councillors present were Samantha Thomson; Claire Bennett-Levy; Louise White; Kendra Turnbull; Michael Foxley; Lyndsey Boyd; Tricia Kennedy and Elizabeth Carmichael. Two members of the public were also present.

Among the items discussed were:

Road signs: The roads department has offered to install red triangle ‘road liable to flooding’ signs on A861 but is unable to offer a drop-down sign for when the road is dangerous to use. It was agreed to pursue options for improvements to the worst affected sections.

Trees: A community councillor will check with Highland Council about trees in North Corran. A check will also be made with Ardgour Estate about a tree in Buchanan Place. The community council has been offered a log splitter for a community wood day.

Police Scotland consultation: The community council has submitted comments from February meeting.

Clovullin Burn: ongoing. Tricia Kennedy offered to progress this matter with the current township clerk.

Police: PC Campbell emailed an update on plans for improved A861 road signs and pedestrian warning signs around the Abernethy Centre in Kilmalieu. Resurfacing is planned for parts of the B8043 later this year. A speed survey is planned for Achaphubuil.

Dail Mhor: Elizabeth Carmichael reported information about Highland Hospice is available for noticeboards. Claire Bennett-Levy has copies and will put them up. Elizabeth Carmichael referred the group to the recent update in De tha Dol and reported there are plans to develop a 40-50 year plan for the care needs of the peninsula.

Corran Ferry: A consultation exercise has been undertaken and a risk assessment for the two options carried out. Tricia Kennedy and Michael Foxley are keen for a steering group to organise a consultation evening, ideally to coincide with an Ardgour Memorial Hall meeting of Ardgour Community Council. Michael Foxley has explored funding options for developing the slipways and shared this information. It was agreed priority should be be given to continued delivery of a reliable service in the short term as well as exploring longer term options. Tricia Kennedy and Michael Foxley are pushing for community consultation on long term options and suggest this consultation should be led by community councils. There are plans to hold every second meeting of the steering group at the Sunart Centre, which is a welcome development.

Annat Industrial Estate Environmental issues: Samantha Thomson reported that, following a number of complaints from residents and a visit from environmental health officers, BSW has said it will improve screening on the lochside of its premises within the next four to six months. Michael Foxley said residents are still experiencing noise nuisance from Boyd Brothers and concern remains around working hours and Sunday working. Michael Foxley highlighted a recent planning application from Gael Force for a graded slipway at Annat.

FW 2040: Michael Foxley reported on the most recent FW 2040 meeting. Neither Corran Ferry or the A861 were being included and he recommended these were added to the plan.

*Fort William, Inverlochy and Torlundy Community Council meeting: Louise White and Samantha Thomson reported back from this meeting which included a presentation from Lochaber Environmental Group and Highland Council Waste Services. It is now planned Duisky landfill will  operate until 2025 but there was confusion over how blue bin waste is sorted and recycled. It was suggested a representative from HC Waste Services is invited to a future Ardgour Community Council meeting to discuss these issues. It was also noted compost bins are available free of charge to residents. Kendra Turnbull reported Kinlochleven Community Trust (KCT) is providing a service for the disposal of waste from motorhomes. Kendra will contact KCT to get advice on how it went about this. There was a proposal to reconvene the community council partnership through monthly meetings. Tricia Kennedy and Elizabeth Carmichael offered to attend on behalf of Ardgour Community Council. There was a suggestion quarterly meets may be more practical.

Community defibrilators: Tricia Kennedy reported the former Ardgour shop has a defibrillator but no longer has a power supply. It was suggested Ardgour Memorial Hall be asked to relocate the defibrillator there. It was suggested a defibrillator be bought for Kingairloch and that Ardgour Community Council host first aid training at Ardgour and Treslaig Halls.

Speed warnings for North Corran: Elizabeth Carmichael reported there are a significant number of children living in and around James Carmichael Way and speed signs would be beneficial as cars often accelerate up the hill and round the corner.

Lochside litterpick: Michael Foxley suggested a lochside litterpick following the sucessful day last year. Keep Scotland Beautiful can send out resources. It was suggested the community council buy litterpickers for use within the community.

Financial report: Community benefit payments have been received from Broadland Renewables for Callop and Duiskean, £,1998, and Garvan and Duisky, £1,660.05. Current balance: £12,662.01

Questions public – a request for bottle banks at Camusnagaul to be relocated and made bigger. Achaphubuil cattlegrid or Treslaig Hall were suggested as possible alternative locations. It was reported the bottle banks are not emptied often enough and have fallen over twice, leaving broken glass on the ground. Samantha Thomson to progress with Highland councillors. Kendra Turnbull suggested contacting the Climate Challenge Fund which  might provide funding to screen and protect the bottle banks.

Request for replacement noticeboards for Treslaig, Camusnagaul and Achaphubuil: Elizabeth Carmichael to contact the Men’s Shed about making these.

Concern was raised about current state of the A861, particularly Stronchreggan corner and Gorsten bridge. There is also concern about noise and vibrations from lorries.

Applications for funding: £300 granted to Mod Aird nam Murchan; £150 to Ardgour Parish Church Easter Egg Hunt; £1,000 to West Lochaber Hospital Transport Project and £50 granted towards individual snowboard lessons.

As a result of the coronavirus outbreak community council meetings have been cancelled until further notice. Members of the community can still get in touch about local issues and funding applications. Secretary: Claire Bennett-Levy secretary.ardgourcc@gmail.com 07749553096; chairwoman: Samantha Thomson samamthakthomson@hotmail.com 07595415052.