Mechanics dismantle Fort hopes for a win

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Report:Michael O’Meara

Forres Mechanics 2, Fort William 1

Fort William made the journey to Forres for the second time this season to face the ‘Cans’ in what was a home game for the Fort due to an unplayable field at Claggan Park.

Fort manager Calum MacLean made two changes to his side with Iain MacLellan and Jordan Andrew dropping out because of other commitments and in came Iain Foggo and Lewis Hyde.

The first real chance of the game came from Forres where Declan Hughes was one on one with the Fort keeper Daniel Hoban but Hoban made a terrific save to keep the score level at 0-0 in the 13th minute of the match.

After that chance then Fort become the dominant side with having chances through a Gabriel Hastings header which hit the post and Ross Gunn having a shot from the edge of the box which was well tipped over by the Forres keeper Stuart Knight in the 26th minute.

After such a positive start from the Lochaber side, the Fort were reduced to 10 men in the 30th minute when Donald Morrison received his marching orders from the referee Billy Baxter as he slapped Forres’ James Ross at the back of the head.

Fort continued to attack but then the Mechanics made use of the extra man by going a goal ahead through Lee Fraser. The original shot was made by Joe Gauld as he hit a great effort which hit the bar but it came straight to Fraser and he put it into the back of the net with Hoban unlucky to keep it out.

Nine minutes later Forres doubled their lead through Allan MacPhee. His cracking strike from 20 yards made its way into the back of the net just before half time.

The game restarted for the second half and Fort did not give up with having a few chances one particular one coming from an Aidan Taylor strike from 40 yards out which almost made it’s way in the back of the net but was saved by Knight.

Forres then had a massive chance to put the game to bed but Fraser’s free header was headed over the bar.

The visitors made their first change when Roddy Kennedy made way for Ryan Henderson who was back in a Fort shirt.

MacLean then made two further changes with Danny MacKintosh made way for 17-year-old Alfie Duncan who was making his debut for his local club and Gunn made way for Ruairidh MacDonald.

Fort grabbed a late goal through a Ryan Henderson rebound from a couple of yards out which was judged to be over the line from match referee Billy Baxter much to the Forres keeper’s disgust.

Unfortunately that wasn’t enough for Fort as Baxter blew his whistle for the final time for the evening and the game finished Fort William 1-2 Forres Mechanics.

The Highland League season along with all Scottish leagues has been postponed due to the outbreak of Covid-19 (Coronavirus) so who knows when the Fort’s next game will take place.