Man dies after diving incident near Oban

Oban Lifeboat crew battled Storm Ciara to get to an incident involving a group of divers on Sunday morning.

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

A diver has died after getting into difficulties in the Sound of Kerrera during yesterday’s (Sunday) Storm Ciara.

UK Coastguard were alerted first and immediately requested the launch of the local lifeboat following reports of a group of divers in difficulty to the south of Oban.

The volunteer crew of Oban RNLI Lifeboat Mora Edith MacDonald faced gale force conditions during the call out at around 10.15am. Despite challenging conditions, the lifeboat reached the scene quickly but found that the divers had already been recovered from the water and were being treated by paramedics from the Scottish Ambulance Service.

The coastguard helicopter and Oban Coastguard rescue team were also at the scene.

It was later announced that a 50-year-old man had died during the incident.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: ‘Police are currently investigating the sudden death of a 50-year-old man in south Oban, around 10.40am on Sunday February 9.

‘The death is currently being treated as unexplained but there does not appear to be any suspicious circumstances. A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.’

Shortly afterwards, further reports reached the coastguard of another diver drifting to the north. The lifeboat immediately proceeded to the scene and discovered that the object was actually the dive gear of one of the divers.

As the crew were drying off in the station after the incident, one of the lifeboat crew members noticed a dingy drifting across Oban Bay. Having noticed the oars were in place on the dinghy, there was concern that someone may have fallen from it, so the crew relaunched into the storm to ensure no life was at risk.

Several boats were on moorings in the bay and a systematic search began. Oban Coastguard team, who had also just returned from the previous incident, located the dinghy and were able to identify a name on it.

The owner was located safe and well and unaware that his dinghy had gone adrift.