Anne Reynolds MBE: 1926 – 2019

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Kathleen Anne Reynolds MBE, known as Anne, was described as being an extremely active and supportive member of the Oban community for more than 50 years.

The former model, sailor and charity worker died on September 17, 2019, aged 93.

She was born in Blida, Algeria, on August 23, 1926, and was the youngest of three daughters.

Anne stayed in Algeria until she was old enough to join the Women’s Royal Naval Service.

From there she worked in London, before heading to Malta. Anne, who was fluent in French, and could also speak Arabic, put her linguistic skills to good use and worked as a translator.

It was in Malta that she met Major Mike Boyd Reynolds – a decorated Royal Marine, who would later become her husband.

When the war ended, Anne swapped the sea for style and worked as a couture model in London, before getting married in 1949.

The couple had two daughters, Fiona and Amanda, and the family moved around with Major Reynolds’ military career.

However, in the mid-1960s, they settled in Argyll.

Anne and Mike lived in Kilchrenan and Loch Awe, before deciding on Loch Etive.

It was then that Anne became involved in the Armed Forces Charity, tasked with overseeing case workers in the Argyll and Bute branch. She received an MBE in 2002 for her services to the charity.

She was also the founding member and board member of the Abbeyfield Oban Society.

Anne’s home was described in The Times of London as having an ‘elegant grandeur and fine furnishings and a garden that was her eternal joy’.

She continued to oversee the Loch Etive home after her husband died in 2004.

With only a wood-burning stove, she was tough and resolute, especially in the winter. It wasn’t uncommon to see her bathing in the loch when her private water supply froze over.

She continued to entertain guests and enjoyed serving food that she had procured herself.