Want to read more?
At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.
To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.
We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device. In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).
Flood risk fears could see the plug pulled on plans for a new holiday development in Tobermory.
Despite more than 50 shows of support and a one in 200-year chance of flooding, a public hearing yesterday (Wednesday January 29) was due to hear how councillors have been advised to refuse Argyll Properties’ plans for a retail unit, visitor centre and three self-catering units at land next to Taigh Solais and fire-gutted MacGochans.
Members of Argyll and Bute Council’s planning, protective services and licensing committee considered the application at a hearing in Aros Hall, Tobermory.
In a report, planning officers described the proposed-build as being ‘high quality and well-designed’. If it had not been for the flood risk, the development would have been ‘wholly compliant’ with local and national planning policy.
According to flood mapping by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA), the application site is classified as medium to high risk and is in the one in 200-year coastal flood zone.
SEPA has objected to the development because it would put new buildings on a previously undeveloped site, putting buildings and more people in flood danger.
The council’s flood risk assessor has also objected to the proposals, following correct interpretation of local and national flood risk planning policy, although both he and officers have worked in conjunction with the developer to try to achieve a solution that would meet planning policy requirements and therefore satisfy SEPA.
‘Regretfully, no such solution has been found or is available in this case,’ says the report.
It continued: ‘The proposed development is not sustainable in terms of flood risk as a new building with a combination of commercial and residential units would be introduced into an area identified as being at medium to high risk of flooding and which increases the land use vulnerability of the site.’
There were 51 submissions in support of the plan, including one from a member of the public who said: ‘The proposal will provide much-needed additional visitor accommodation in the heart of Tobermory, strengthening the village’s role as a key contributor to the tourism economy of Mull and the wider area.
‘It will also deliver a convenience retail unit, which will provide additional choice to residents and visitors, providing an alternative to the existing co-op.
‘The location of the retail unit next to the main village car park will help to alleviate traffic congestion on Main Street caused by the existing co-op.
‘This will improve road safety on Main Street and reduce the risk of accidents.’