Bail refused for man who caused havoc on Mull

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

A 23-year-old man will be sentenced next month after causing havoc in Tobermory.

Luke Gordon, of Flat 13, Old Bond Flats, Main Street, Tobermory, admitted refusing to leave a public house, uttering threats, striking a door, repeatedly striking a car with his fists and a traffic cone, and pushing someone on the body.

The incidents took place within a 50-minute window on December 15, 2019, on Main Street, Tobermory.

Procurator fiscal David Glancy told the court on Monday January 13 that the situation started around 5pm, when staff asked Gordon to leave after he became aggressive towards the people he was drinking with.

He refused and was eventually ‘put’ outside, before moving along Main Street and entering into an argument.

A witness in a parked car watched the confrontation unfold. Gordon then approached the vehicle and struck it with his fists and threw a traffic cone at the rear of the car, causing almost £1,000 of damage, the procurator fiscal revealed.

He then moved further along the road and stood in front of a car and refused to get out of the way. In the car was a lady in her mid-30s and her husband. ‘She got out to persuade him to step aside. For her trouble, she was pushed on the body by the accused,’ Mr Glancy said.

She returned to her car and her partner drove off, inadvertently striking the accused on the leg.

Gordon then made his way into a shop on Main Street and was aggressive and abusive to staff. They had to restrain him until police arrived.

In total, the incidents occurred over a 50-minute period.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes deferred sentencing in order for the court to obtain background reports until February 26, when the court will also hear his mitigation. Gordon has been remanded in custody since December 16, where he will remain until sentencing, as his bail was refused on Monday.