Oban RNLI aid stricken ship

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Oban RNLI Lifeboat ‘Mora Edith MacDonald’ was requested to launched on Saturday morning (January 11) to assist a 1,300 tonne coaster anchored in Oban bay.

The vessel had dragged her two anchors in the gale force winds that battered Oban overnight, putting her dangerous closely to the shore of Kerrera and the busy north entrance of Oban bay. The vessel was anchored and awaiting mechanical repair, so was unable to manoeuvre herself to a safer location.

Oban lifeboat launched with seven crew on board at 11.30am and was on scene within minutes. A crew member was put on board the vessel to assist and a towline was passed soon after. Once secure the vessel lifted its anchors and the lifeboat slowly began to pull the vessel forwards, clear of the shore and into her preferred position where her anchors were dropped again by 12.30pm.

Oban lifeboat returned to her berth shortly after.