Thousands of indecent images found on man’s phone

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

An Oban man who admitted possessing thousands of indecent images of children has been sentenced to a community payback order.

Kevin Raymond Hobbs, of 11 Croft Avenue, Oban, first pleaded guilty when he appeared before Oban Sheriff  Court in October but returned last week for sentencing.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes sentenced him to two years’ supervision under social workers and to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work within 12 months. He was also put on a restriction of liberty order to stay at home between 7pm and 7am for four months, was made subject of a sexual offences prevention order to last five years as well as going on the sexual offenders’ register for two years.

In October, the court heard the  31-year-old’s phone had contained 4,297 indecent images, all of which were classed as Category C, the least severe, and were predominantly of female children between the ages of nine and 15.

In his defence, solicitor Kevin McGinness said at the time of the offence his client had been drinking after work cutting grass and building a new hotel in the town’s harbour area dried up and alcohol had been a major factor. Hobbs has since sought help.

Police unearthed the indecent images when they searched his home on January 31, 2019, and seized a number of devices, in particular a Samsung mobile phone found in his bedroom.

Sheriff Hughes said the ‘sheer number of images’ found on Hobbs’s phone was ‘a great concern’ but pointed out they were at the lowest level of seriousness and, after considering reports, added: ‘There’s nothing to suggest it is an ongoing issue with you.’