Shinty round- up

Fort William captain Arran MacPhee receives the Mowi National Division Trophy from Rob Woodward of Mowi. Fort William v Glasgow Mid Argyll in the final game of the Mowi National Division, played at An Aird, Fort William.

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now
Mowi Premiership

Kinlochshiel 1
Newtonmore 0

Substitute Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae scored nine minutes from time to give Kinlochshiel a 1-0 win over Newtonmore in their match at Reraig.

Kinlochshiel defender Mark MacDonald returned, but Jordan Fraser was still unavailable. Promising U14 player Archie MacRae was given a place in attack and Andrew MacKenzie also started. Martin MacRae and Arron Jack joined Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae and Ali Nixon on the home bench.

Newtonmore’s Andy MacKintosh served a one-match ban for passing through the disciplinary points threshold, whilst injury ruled out Steven Macdonald, Iain Robinson and Glen MacKintosh. Ewen Fraser was also missing. Declan Brannan in defence and Andrew Buchan in midfield started for Newtonmore, whilst Fraser MacKintosh was their only substitute.
Referee Alex MacVicar gave the crowd a cheer when he took a tumble on the new Reraig pitch after five minutes, but he recovered well to have a good game.

It was an end-to-end opening 45 minutes, with Newtonmore having the better of the clear-cut chances. But they weren’t accurate enough in front of goal to profit. When they did find the target, they saw Josh Grant equal to their efforts. Kinlochshiel have undoubtedly found a suitable replacement in goals for retired veteran Scott Kennedy.

Kinlochshiel moved John MacRae from full forward to buckshee forward at the interval and he went on to have a more telling influence in the second half.

Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae replaced Archie MacRae at wing forward on 53 minutes and the youngster can be pleased with his contribution.
Kinlochshiel, with Finlay MacRae looking good in full centre, had the chance to take the lead a couple of minutes later. Kinlochshiel, playing away from the Kyle side of the ground, crossed a ball into the danger area from the right and when the goal judge flagged for a Craig Ritchie ‘kick’, referee Alex MacVicar pointed to the spot. John MacRae stepped up but his strike, half way up the goal, went past the left post of keeper Kenny Ross.

Fraser MacKintosh took over from David MacLean on 63 minutes and the contest remained scoreless until nine minutes from time when Kinlochshiel broke the deadlock. With sticks raised, a high ball from the left dropped into a crowded goal area and when it fell for Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae, he hammered a powerful drive over the keeper’s head into the net from three yards outside the ‘D’, slightly to the left of centre.

Kinlochshiel had the ball in the net for a second time on 85 minutes but the referee’s whistle had already gone for an infringement.
There was a late chance for the visitors when the ball was played to the right to Evan Menzies. His cross saw Jamie Robinson chase the ball out to the left and, with Josh Grant coming off his line to intervene, the keeper impeded Robinson, earning a yellow card. Evan Menzies had a good chance from close-in from the resultant free-hit but keeper Grant did enough to put him off and the ball went wide.

Kinlochshiel stay sixth in the league. They host Oban Camanachd in their final match of the season, scheduled for Saturday November 2.
Newtonmore play their penultimate match at Mossfield against Oban Camanachd this Saturday at noon.

Newtonmore will hope to give some game time to Scottish internationals Steven Macdonald, who hasn’t played since suffering a shoulder injury in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup Final win over Oban Camanachd, and Iain Robinson, who has had the plaster removed from his hand following a broken finger, also sustained against the Oban side in the abandoned Scottish final.

Another Scottish international, Daniel Cameron, returns from suspension for Oban Camanachd, but Malcolm Clark is out with a broken finger.

Kyles Athletic 4
Caberfeidh 0

Kyles Athletic go third in shinty’s top flight after scoring two goals in each half to beat Caberfeidh 4-0 at Tighnabruaich.

Kyles Athletic’s Thomas Whyte was still missing, whilst manager Dunky Kerr also had to do without forwards Colin MacDonald and Conor Kennedy.

The hosts fielded a forward line of Roddy MacDonald, Robbie MacLeod, Ross Macrae and George Thomson.

Caberfeidh’s Scott McLauchlan was banned, whilst Ally MacLennan, Ben MacDonald, Liam Symonds, Callum MacKinnon, Robbie Brindle, Kenneth MacKenzie and James MacLeod were all also missing.

Boss Jodi Gorski played, with Malcolm Morrison helping out at full forward.
Craig Morrison had scored in his last 20 successive matches but, with so many absentees, he started the match at full back.

Kyles had the chance to break the deadlock midway through the first half when referee Graham Fisher awarded them a penalty. Robbie MacLeod’s spot-hit came back off the post though and, with Paul MacArthur unable to turn the re-bound home, Caberfeidh got the ball out for a corner.

Kyles kept the pressure on and when Paul MacArthur played a second corner across on 23 minutes, Ross Macrae scrambled the ball over the line to make it 1-0.

The hosts were awarded a second penalty on 29 minutes when Robbie MacLeod was taken down inside the ‘D’. This time Roddy MacDonald hammered the ball home to make it 2-0.

The Kyles midfield of Paul MacArthur, Rupert Williamson and Innes MacDonald were playing plenty good balls forward and Scott MacDonald, who started the game in defence, made it 3-0 on 66 minutes, scoring from inside the ‘D’ from another Paul MacArthur corner.

Kyles Athletic defender Neil MacVicar was pushed up front and he made it 4-0 on 72 minutes with an effort which took a slight deflection on its way into the net.

Both teams reshuffled for the closing stages. Caberfeidh pushed Craig Morrison up front and Kyles immediately pulled Neil MacVicar back from his cameo appearance in attack to mark the Scotland forward.
Kyles also introduced Cairn Limbert for Innes MacDonald and Murdo MacRae for George Thomson.

Kyles maintained their winning margin though and whilst they now go third in the division, a second placed finish is well within their reach. They welcome Kingussie to Tighnabruaich this Saturday when Kingussie will be presented with the Mowi Premiership trophy.

The game completes Caberfeidh’s season. They finish seventh on 12 points, two points better off than last term.

Lochaber P
Oban Camanachd P

Lochaber were unable to raise a team for their meeting with Oban Camanachd at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber, who only had ten players available on Friday evening, have been deducted two points as a result of not fulfilling the fixture which confirms their relegation to the Mowi National Division.

Lochaber, who don’t have a second team and whose last liaison was a 3-0 defeat to Kyles Athletic five weeks earlier, now drop below already relegated Inveraray to the bottom of the table with their match against Oban Camanachd rescheduled for Saturday November 16.

This outcome also means Kilmallie stay up in their first season back in the Mowi Premiership, regardless of the outcome of their final match at Kyles Athletic.

Mowi National Division

Fort William 4
Glasgow Mid Argyll 2

Fort William have completed their Mowi National Division season with a 100 per cent record and were presented with the league trophy after defeating Glasgow Mid Argyll 4-2 at An Aird.

There was also plenty for Glasgow Mid Argyll to celebrate as their second placed finish secures a return to Mowi Premiership shinty.

Fort William last played in the Balliemore Cup Final on August 24 when they beat Glasgow Mid Argyll 3-2 and they were along usual lines for this one with Jack Fraser, Victor Smith and Padraig McNeil making up a strong bench.

Craig Anderson was GMA’s main concern after receiving five stitches in a leg wound following the promotion-clinching win over Skye. Anderson was still troubled by the injury and failed to recover in time. The Glasgow side were also without John Sweeney, Oliver MacRae, Andy McGhee and Somhairle Fraser. Ruaraidh MacLeod was their only substitute and player/manager Mark Bain started in defence.

Alexander MacMillan gave Fort William the lead on 14 minutes. There was a melee in the visiting goal area before the ball fell for MacMillan who hit it really well. His strike hit the base of the right post before going across the goal, then hitting the base of the left post and eventually making its way over the line.

That proved to be the only goal of the first half, although it took a terrific Paul MacKay save to deny John Don MacKenzie a leveller.

Arran MacPhee made it 2-0 five minutes into the second half. MacPhee picked the ball up and played it past Garry Luke, who fell and stayed down injured, whilst MacPhee exchanged passes with Lachie Shaw before shooting from the right, across GMA keeper Robert Dunnings, into the far side of the net.

Former Kinlochshiel player Duncan MacRae pulled a goal back on 58 minutes when, on the edge of the ‘D’, he worked enough space to shoot, with his effort taking a deflection before looping over the keeper.

Arran MacPhee got his second to restore Fort William’s two-goal cushion on 67 minutes. GMA full back Ryan Harrison, who had a great game, stopped a long ball from Jack Fraser but, as he tried to clear, Arran MacPhee won possession and blasted the ball into the top left corner of the goal from around 20 yards.

Fort William’s Lachie Shaw flies over Mid Argyll’s Garry Luke.

Another ex-Kinlochshiel player John Don MacKenzie, who played the whole game at full forward as he was carrying an injury, made it 3-2 on 68 minutes. MacKenzie got the ball just in front of the ‘D’ and sent a waist-high shot past Fort keeper Paul MacKay.

The champions had the final say on 73 minutes when substitute Padraig McNeil added a fourth. There was a battle for possession in front of goal

and when Robert Dunnings saved from Alexander MacMillan, Padraig McNeil timed his run perfectly and poked the ball under the keeper into the corner of the net.

GMA’s Calum McLay spurned two late chances so the contest finished 4-2.
It has been an impressive season for Victor Smith and Adam Robertson’s young charges and they now look ready to test themselves in shinty’s top flight.

After the final whistle, sponsors Mowi presented the National Division trophy to Fort William captain Arran MacPhee. This will be added to the Balliemore Cup which is already in the An Aird trophy cabinet.

This match completes the Mowi National Division programme.

Fort William’s Mark Grant tries to block a swing from Glasgow Mid Argyll’s Calum McLay.
Mowi North Division 1

Caberfeidh 3
Newtonmore 5

The Newtonmore second team won again in their quest to retain the Mowi North Division 1 title, coming from behind twice to beat the Caberfeidh second team 5-3 at Castle Leod.

There was a minute’s silence ahead of throw-up following the passing of Caberfeidh stalwart Billy Tulloch.

Newtonmore’s Neil Stewart was banned.

Colin MacLennan gave Caberfeidh the lead in the opening minute but Newtonmore player/manager Orsten Gardner levelled on 14 minutes.
Ruaraidh MacLeman put the hosts back in front on 25 minutes, only for Newtonmore to fight back again with Cameron McNiven making it 2-2 on the half-hour mark.

McNiven got his second four minutes later to put Newtonmore ahead for the first time in the match and they stayed 3-2 in front until the break.
Newtonmore sealed the win early in the second half with Craig MacLeod netting five minutes after the re-start, whilst a second from Orsten Gardner made it 5-2 a minute later.

A second from Colin MacLennan with 20 minutes remaining made the final score 5-3.

Caberfeidh’s Declan Wilson was sent off by referee John Wood.
The win lifts Newtonmore to second place in the division. They now trail leaders Glengarry by five points, with the sides due to meet in the final match of the season, but have three games in hand starting with Saturday’s tricky trip to An Aird to play their Fort William counterparts.

Inverness 0
Fort William 2

The Fort William second team scored twice in the last half-hour to beat the Inverness first team 2-0 in their noon throw-up at Bught Park.
After a scoreless first half, Scott Knox gave Fort William the lead on 61 minutes.

Greig Kelly sealed the win when he made it 2-0 with five minutes remaining.

The Fort William colts are back in action this Saturday when title hopefuls Newtonmore are the visitors to An Aird.

Glenurquhart 1
Kingussie 1

Jed Stoddart’s goal a couple of minutes from time secured the Glenurquhart reserves a 1-1 draw with the Kingussie reserves at Blairbeg.

Ewan Baker put Kingussie ahead, beating Glenurquhart keeper Iain MacLeod to score on 66 minutes.

Good goalkeeping and determined defending looked like it would deny Glenurquhart until Jed Stoddart struck on 88 minutes to make it 1-1, earning the hosts a point.

Lovat P
Aberdeen University P

Aberdeen University were unable to field a team for their match against the Lovat colts at Balgate.

The students will be deducted a point and the match will be re-scheduled.

Mowi South Division 1

Lochside Rovers 7
Col Glen 1

A strong second half performance helped Lochside Rovers beat Col Glen 7-1 in their match at Mossfield.

Lochside’s Jordan Kerr was banned but, with Oban Camanachd’s match called off, they were able to field Chrissie MacMillan and youngsters Craig Easton, Blair MacFarlane and Ross Campbell. With Dougie MacDonald working and Brian MacCallum carrying an injury, Scott Buchanan stepped in between the sticks.

It was a beautiful day in Oban, with the Mossfield pitch in great condition, and although Lochside had the better of the first half, they only had one goal to show for their efforts. The goal came with six first half minutes remaining when Lewis Buchanan fired home.

It was Lewis Buchanan again a couple of minutes into the second half who doubled Lochside’s lead.

Ross Campbell added a third on 49 minutes. Callum Kirsop played the ball to Ross Campbell from the wing and Campbell took a touch first time on his left side before sending a 25-yard shot into the top right corner of the net.
Lewis Buchanan completed his hat-trick on 63 minutes to make it 4-0 and there was now only going to be one winner.

Col Glen, who hadn’t played since the end of August, were tiring and Lochside, with Blair MacFarlane running the show from full centre, took full advantage, adding three more goals in the final 15 minutes.

Craig Easton stepped forward from his defensive position on 75 minutes, dribbling the ball upfield before being challenged. As he was falling, Easton sent a shot spinning goalwards, with the ball deceiving the keeper and creeping over the line.

There was some consolation for Col Glen with 10 minutes remaining when a low, 30-yard shot took a deflection off the unfortunate Kieran Pearson, who played well in defence. It wrong-footed keeper Scott Buchanan and the ball ended up in the net.

Callum Kirsop made it 6-1 with an effort from distance on 83 minutes, after which he was substituted.

Ross Campbell got his second to round off the scoring on 85 minutes. Good inter-play between Lewis Buchanan and Jamie MacGillivray saw Buchanan slip the ball to Campbell who lashed it into the net.

Lochside finish third in South 1, with Col Glen seventh. This match completed the Mowi South Division 1 programme.

Challenge match

North Skye 1
South Skye 4

South Skye took the Ewen Morrison Memorial Cup with a 4-1 victory over North Skye in their 3pm throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.
William MacKinnon scored twice for the south, with Ross MacKinnon and Daniel Morrison getting the others.

Ross Gordon countered for North Skye.

WCA round-up

Skye Camanachd and Badenoch will play-off for the Women’s Mowi National division title and Lovat were presented with the Mowi North Division 2 trophy following the weekend shinty action.

Mowi National Division

Skye Camanachd 10
Ardnamurchan 0

There will be a play-off between Skye Camanachd and Badenoch to decide the Women’s National Division title after Skye defeated Ardnamurchan 10-0 in their final match at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree on Saturday October 19.

Lorna MacRae scored five times in this 12.30pm throw- up, whilst Jenna Beaton grabbed a hat-trick. Megan Campbell and Emma Gordon got the others.

Skye and Badenoch have only lost one match each this season – against each other on their home ground. The result means they both end the season on 26 points and, with goal difference not counting, the sides will play-off for the league title at Craigard this Sunday.

Skye and Ardnamurchan also contested the Cuach a’ Chairdeas (Quaich of Friendship), played in memory of Joy Robson. This is normally awarded to the winner of the selected game but was presented to Ardnamurchan for the determination they have shown in every game and for their willingness to travel to fulfil all their fixtures.

Mowi North Division 2

Lovat 4
Glengarry 7

Lovat were presented with the Mowi North Division 2 title following their 7-4 defeat to Glengarry in their 2pm throw up at Balgate.

Lovat skipper Laura Gallacher was presented with the league trophy by Sean Anderson from sponsors Mowi. It is added to the Mowi Challenge Cup which they won earlier in the season.

Lovat women’s team with the Mowi North Division 2 league trophy. Photographs: Neil Paterson.
Lovat captain Laura Gallacher receives the WCA Mowi North Division 2 Trophy from Sean Anderson of Mowi.

Fort William 8
Skye Camanachd 1

Fort William beat Skye Camanachd’s second team 8-1 in their 1pm throw-up at An Aird.

Zoe Smith scored five times for Fort William with Ashleigh Fraser bagging a brace and Katherine Ann Gall getting the other.

Oban quartet named in Scotland U21 squad

Four of Oban’s brightest young shinty players have been included in Alan MacRae’s Scotland U21 squad for the Mowi Shinty/Hurling international against Ireland U21 which takes place at the GAA National Games Development Centre in Abbotstown, Dublin, on Saturday November 2.

There are seven new caps in the squad as Oban Camanachd’s Daniel MacCuish, Fort William’s Lachie Shaw, Beauly’s Andrew Morrison, William MacKinnon from Skye Camanachd and Kingussie trio Kieran MacPherson, Alexander Michie and Ruaridh Anderson are all named, taking the Kingussie contingent to five players as Calum Grant and Roddy Young are selected again.

There is also a recall for Oban Camanachd’s Daniel MacVicar who featured in the 2016 international.

Oban Camanachd’s Daniel Sloss is picked again meaning he has represented the Scots at U17 and U21 level for the past two seasons.
Scott MacLachlan, Danny Kelly and Calum Grant are all selected for the fourth time at this level.

Scotland U21 from: Scott MacLachlan, Inveraray; Andrew Morrison, Beauly; Danny Kelly, Lovat; Calum Grant, Kingussie; Daniel Sloss, Oban Camanachd; Iain Richardson, Newtonmore; Lachlan Smith, Glenurquhart; Alexander Michie, Kingussie; William Mac-Kinnon, Skye Camanachd; Daniel MacCuish, Oban Camanachd; Innes Blackhall, Kilmallie; Jonnie MacAskill, Glasgow Mid Argyll; Kieran MacPherson, Kingussie; Lachie Shaw, Fort William; Daniel MacVicar, Oban Camanachd; Iain Robinson, Newtonmore; Findlay MacDonald, Lochaber; Roddy Young, Kingussie; Ruaridh Anderson, Kingussie; Ross Mac-Millan, Oban Celtic.
Scotland U21 head coach Alan MacRae said: ‘We are delighted to announce our final squad of 20 players who will travel to Dublin at the beginning of next month to play our Irish counterparts.

‘As always, it has been a difficult decision to select the squad from the cream of Scottish under-21 shinty talent.
‘Congratulations to everyone selected. We are sure you will do your country proud.’