Drunk woman in charge of campervan is fined

Oban Sheriff Court

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

A woman found in pyjamas drunk in charge of a campervan in a remote spot on Mull told police she had to get away from her husband.

Kirsty Jane McGeehan, 47, of 12a Cotton Street, Balfron, Stirlingshire, was just under four times the drink-drive limit when police were tipped off about the parked van by a passing motorist who spotted it in the early hours of May 26 this year.

The concertina-style roof was up on the van when police arrived at the location along the Glengorm road, near Tobermory, and saw McGeehan sitting in her pyjamas in the driving seat with the keys in the ignition.

Police could smell alcohol and took the keys out, Oban Sheriff Court heard last week.

McGeehan was fined £450 and her driving licence was endorsed with 10 penalty points after she pleading guilty to an amended offence of being in charge of a vehicle over the prescribed alcohol limit.

After McGeehan failed the roadside breath test, she had been arrested and taken to the police station. She had 86 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, when the limit is 22 micrograms.

Procurator fiscal Eoin McGinty told the court at first McGeehan told police she was trying to get away from her husband but later would not provide any further information.

After being in custody, she was taken back to the campervan but police kept the keys before returning to check on her later.

The court heard there had been a disagreement between McGeehan and her husband. She had deemed it was critical for her to remove herself, taking their three dogs with her.

She had drunk the alcohol once parked up. Her husband had been left to check into a hotel and did not know where she had gone. He did call police the next morning to express his concern.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes was told that McGeehan regretted the situation and the campervan has not been used since.