Lifeboat launches twice in 24 hours

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Tobermory RNLI volunteers were called out twice in 24 hours at the weekend.

The shouts to medical emergencies came two days after many of the station’s volunteer crew, including the team’s newest recruit, had passed a casualty care course.

The pagers first went off at 4.45pm on Friday September 27 to help a diver with decompression sickness symptoms.

The diver had come ashore from a dive boat in Tobermory Harbour and as the crew assembled and readied its all-weather boat Elizabeth Fairlie Ramsey for launch one of its members gave casualty care in the Tobermory Harbour building.

After a dive specialist doctor was consulted, the casualty was moved to Oban and in just over an hour the lifeboat tied up at Oban lifeboat station and was met by an ambulance to take the diver for treatment at a hyperbaric chamber at Dunstaffnage.

Shortly before 1pm on Saturday September 28 the crew received a request to evacuate someone from a tall ship who was complaining of stomach pain.

They met with the ship five miles north west of Tobermory where the casualty was transferred onto the lifeboat on a stretcher and given care by the crew until they got back to land, assisted by Tobermory Coastguard Rescue Team alongside the pontoons and met by paramedics.

Coxswain David McHaffie said: ‘This week many of the crew had undertaken the RNLI casualty care course. Within 48 hours of passing the course, newest crew member Duncan was confidently putting into practice the skills he had covered earlier in the week. We wish both persons from this weekend’s shouts a speedy recovery.’