Kyle lifeboat called to famous castle twice in three days

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Kyle RNLI were called out to Eilean Donan Castle for the second time in three days this week.

Last Sunday morning, September 1, the crew rescued a tourist who had fallen and injured himself on some rocks while taking photographs of the famous castle.

Then, on Wednesday September 4, a yacht with six people aboard ran aground on a rock after they sailed too close to the landmark.

Kyle lifeboat The Spirit of Fred Olsen launched at 10.42am, after the UK Coastguard received reports of a 13-metre yacht aground next to the castle at the mouth of Loch Duich. The lifeboat arrived on scene at 10.55am and found the yacht hard aground, with a rapidly dropping tide.

A crew member transferred onto the casualty vessel to assess the situation, and it was decided the best course of action was to try to free the yacht from the rock.

The lifeboat took the vessel under tow and, even though it was hard aground, the crew managed to free the yacht at 11.15am. Once the yacht was free, it was able to continue its journey under its own power, therefore the lifeboat was stood down and returned to station at 11.33am.

Speaking of the incident, a Kyle RNLI spokesperson said: ‘The yacht was well and truly stuck on the rock shortly after high tide. Due to the steep rock completely drying out at low tide, and with very big tides at the moment, it was decided there was a significant chance of the yacht sustaining a substantial amount of damage if it was left until the next high tide.  Therefore, the crew decided to try and gently tow the yacht free from the rock.’