Shinty round-up

FORT V GMA CUP MATCH 24/8/19 Fort William’s Balliemore Cup winning team. Picture Iain Ferguson,

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now
Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup Final

Glasgow Mid Argyll 2
Fort William 3
After extra-time

Fort William lifted the Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup for the second time in three seasons with a 3-2 extra-time triumph over Glasgow Mid Argyll at An Aird.

Jonny MacAskill played for GMA but will miss this Saturday’s crucial Mowi National Division match at Skye after passing through the disciplinary points threshold. MacAskill started on the bench alongside former Kinlochshiel team-mate Oliver MacRae.

Victor Smith’s side was along usual lines apart from Sean Cameron who remains on the Fort William injury list.

Cheers from the crowd as Padraig McNeil scores the winning goal in extra time which saw Fort William lift the Balliemore Cup.
Photograph: Iain Ferguson,

Fort William played with the wind in the first half and created the better chances with GMA keeper Robert Dunnings making a great double-save to first deny Arran MacPhee and then Lachie Shaw.

Arran MacPhee then struck the junction between post and bar as the first half drew to a close.

GMA had the elements after the re-start and Calum McLay gave them the lead on 54 minutes when he took a ball from player/manager Mark Bain and shot through the keeper’s legs.

Alexander MacMillan pulled Fort William level on 61 minutes with the goal coming against the run of play. MacMillan shot from around 20 yards, with the ball going in at keeper Robert Dunnings’ bottom right corner.

The Glasgow side regained the lead a minute later with Calum McLay getting his second which was almost a replica of his opening goal.

GMA’s Jamie McFadyen was denied a clinching third goal when Fort goalie Paul MacKay made a superb stop in the air with his stick.

Glasgow Mid Argyll’s Craig Anderson and Fort William’s Jack Fraser in action. Photograph: Neil Paterson

Fort William brought Padraig McNeil on for Lewis Morrison with around 20 minutes remaining. McNeil was really effective, as he has been from the bench already this season, and made it 2-2 with six minutes remaining. It was a well-worked goal with the ball falling to McNeil at the edge of the box, after Arran MacPhee’s shot was saved, and he made no mistake.

With no further scoring, referee Ross Brown took the final into extra-time.
It was Padraig McNeil again on 95 minutes when he pounced on a rebound, after Robert Dunnings’ initial save from Jack Fraser, before slotting the ball into the bottom corner of the net to score what proved to be the winner.

After the final whistle, the Fort William players and coaches agreed captain Arran MacPhee would be joined by James Tangney, who is battling back to fitness after an accident abroad, to collect the trophy.

The presentation was made by former Fort William and Scotland player John MacLeod, who works for sponsors Liberty British Aluminium, with Camanachd Association president Keith Loades also in attendance.

Fort William captain Arran MacPhee shares their Balliemore Cup success with injured team-mate James Tangney. The trophy was handed over by John MacLeod, second left, of sponsors Liberty British Aluminium and Camanachd Association president Keith Loades. Photograph: Iain Ferguson,
Fort William captain Arran MacPhee, left, with James Tangney who captained the side when they won the same trophy in 2017. Photograph: Neil Paterson
Mowi Premiership

Caberfeidh 1
Oban Camanachd 3

Oban Camanachd scored three times in the first quarter of the match to beat Caberfeidh 3-1 in their 1pm throw-up at Castle Leod.

Caberfeidh’s absentee list included Jamie MacKintosh and Ben MacDonald. Callum MacKinnon came back into the starting line-up. Scott Mclauchlan and Gavin Mclauchlan were also back and started on the bench.

Oban Camanachd’s Willie Neilson remained on the injury list whilst Keith MacMillan was unavailable. Skipper Daniel Cameron wasn’t risked as he is a booking away from triggering a suspension which would rule him out of the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup Final against Newtonmore on Saturday September 14.

Scott MacMillan was free to play but his booking in the Artemis Macaulay Cup Final has triggered a two-match suspension and he pays a heavy price as he is not only ruled out of this Saturday’s trip to Lochaber but also the club’s next scheduled match which is the Camanachd Cup Final.

After the disappointment of last weekend’s Artemis Macaulay Cup Final defeat to Kingussie, it was important Oban Camanachd made a good start and Scott MacMillan’s rocket-shot from the edge of the ‘D’ on nine minutes came off the post to the keeper’s left.

MacMillan gave Oban Camanachd the lead on 11 minutes when his shot from distance took a bounce and deceived keeper Ewan Pilcher.
Malcolm Clark made it 2-0 on 18 minutes. Aidan MacIntyre played in a corner and Andrew MacCuish used his big reach, did well to touch the ball down, and Clark’s half-volley flew into the corner of the net.
The Oban side added a third goal on 21 minutes. Lorne Dickie’s shot from the right was saved by keeper Pilcher but broke free on the angle. Andrew MacCuish was first to react and scored leaving the Oban side comfortable.
Caberfeidh moved Kevin Bartlett to full centre at half-time with Ally MacLennan going to full forward.

Oban Camanachd defender Daniel Madej did well against Craig Morrison but the Caberfeidh man got away on 50 minutes to continue his incredible scoring sequence. Kevin Bartlett’s fierce, knee-high shot was well-saved by Cameron Sutherland before Craig Morrison got the rebound to make it 3-1.
Midway through the second half, Daniel MacVicar’s 18 yard shot looked to be heading for the top corner before swerving wide.

David Lafferty, who did well after coming on for Blair MacFarlane, surged forward and when the ball broke to Lorne Dickie, his shot hit the post and Daniel MacVicar sent the rebound over the top from inside the ‘D’.

Whilst it was a comfortable win for Oban Camanachd, manager Stephen Sloss will be concerned by a couple of injuries. Daniel Sloss, who did a great first half marking job on Kevin Bartlett, suffered a blow to the side of the knee and had to be helped off the field whilst Gary McKerracher suffered a gash to the finger when he was caught after a double-swing from Kevin Bartlett.

Oban Camanachd players Andrew MacCuish, Lorne Dickie, Daniel Cameron and Scott MacMillan all received call-ups for the Scotland senior training squad. The squad will be whittled down nearer the international against Ireland.

Meantime, South U21 head coach Kenny Wotherspoon, assisted by Daniel Cameron and Calum Fox, are preparing their squad for the Caol Cup meeting with the North U21s at Taynuilt Sports Field on Saturday September 7.

Kyles Athletic 0
Lovat 2

Lovat stretched their unbeaten league run to seven matches with a 2-0 victory over Kyles Athletic in their 3pm throw-up at Tighnabruaich.

Lovat broke the deadlock on 25 minutes when referee Lachie Wood awarded them a penalty. Kyles Athletic keeper John Whyte made a brilliant save from Callum Cruden’s strike on the edge of the box but when Lewis Tawse ran in to tap home the rebound, the keeper laid on the ball. Greg Matheson stepped up and put the penalty into the bottom corner of the net, to the goalie’s left.

Lovat doubled their lead with a really well-worked goal a minute before the break. Lewis Tawse gathered the ball at the corner flag before playing a long ball across goal to the far side where Greg Matheson picked up possession. Matheson played a one-two with Marc MacLachlan before lifting the ball high into the net with a half-swing from just outside the box.

Lovat had to rely on keeper Stuart MacDonald in the second half when he made an unbelievable double-save, eventually tipping the ball around the post with his hand whilst diving across his goal line.

Newtonmore 5
Inveraray 0

Newtonmore took advantage of Kingussie’s inactivity to go second in the league after beating bottom side Inveraray 5-0 in their 3pm throw-up at the Eilan.

Newtonmore opened the scoring on 11 minutes when Iain Robinson, whose pace caused the Inveraray defence problems throughout, created space on the right to shoot home.

Evan Menzies squeezed the ball by his marker from right of centre to make it 2-0 on 28 minutes whilst Ewen Fraser added a third on 42 minutes and there was only going to be one winner.

Ewen Fraser got his second a couple of minutes into the second half when he took a pass from the industrious Drew MacDonald and his shot rose over a defender into the net to make it 4-0.

Drew MacDonald’s shot from distance into a crowded goal area ended up in the net to make it 5-0, completing the scoring on 56 minutes.
Newtonmore are now a point ahead of third-placed Kingussie but have played a game more.

Inveraray’s top level status is slipping away and they have only two games to save their season; away to Kingussie and Oban Camanachd.

Kilmallie P
Kingussie P

The 3pm throw-up between Kilmallie and Kingussie at Canal Parks was postponed following the passing of former Kilmallie youth player Matthew Duncan.

Mowi National Division

Strathglass 3
Oban Celtic 4

Oban Celtic go fifth in the National Division after winning 4-3 against Strathglass at Cannich.

Good forward play, with Lennon Campbell at full forward and Daniel MacMillan, Scott Burnett – with Ross MacMillan playing off him – saw Oban Celtic create a number of early opportunities but they went a goal down on 32 minutes. The ball was played up to Ally MacAdams who turned Keegan McPhee and Cameron Butler punished some hesitancy in the visiting defence to score.

Oban Celtic drew level four minutes later. Ross MacMillan was fouled as he made his way up the wing, 35 yards out on the right. Ross MacMillan took the ball down from the set-piece and scored to make it 1-1 at half-time.

Oban Celtic took the lead three minutes into the second half. Scott Burnett’s corner came out to William MacEwan who found Ross MacMillan and although keeper Todd saved his shot, Lennon Campbell turned home the rebound.

It was Lennon Campbell again on 53 minutes. Ross MacMillan’s hit-in on the left came to Campbell who held the ball up before turning and sending a low 20 yard shot past the keeper.
Steven Hyslop made it 3-2 on 69 minutes when his lofted effort from distance evaded Oban Celtic keeper Iain MacFarlane.

Jigme Jones came on with around 20 minutes remaining after Johnny MacNeil suffered a cut under the chin.

When Ross MacMillan was fouled on 74 minutes, he took the free-hit himself, playing a one-two before firing a 20 yard strike low into the net to make it 4-2.

Oban Celtic’s Neil Carmichael picked up a foot injury and they sat too deep during the closing stages.

Strathglass had switched Scott Douglas to full centre where he was strong. He picked out Steven Hyslop on the stroke of full-time and turned his marker 20 yards out on the left before finding the net from a tight angle to score his second goal of the game.

George MacMillan was best for Oban Celtic, putting in a terrific shift and helping the less experienced players around him.

Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘It was a depleted team that travelled so we really needed big performances from our main players and I’m pleased we got that. The final score doesn’t quite reflect how the game went overall.

‘We created a number of early chances before falling behind against the run of play. We picked ourselves up though.

‘We suffered a couple of knocks late in the match and ended up sitting deep. Strathglass took advantage to score in the final minute but I can’t say I felt in that much danger during the match. The aim this season was to finish above Beauly, Strathglass and Bute and we are on target to do that. It would be a fair achievement given the injuries and player unavailability we have had to contend with.

‘To be in a position where we are safe in the league and are able to involve two 15 year olds – ‘Jigme’ Jones and William MacEwan – is good for the players and good for the club.’

The sides meet again this Saturday in Oban, when Celtic hope to have Peter Currie, Andy MacDonald, Ally McKerracher and Scott Turnbull back. Ross Campbell (holiday) and Jamie Anderson (thumb) will likely miss out.

Oban Celtic’s final match is at home against Glenurquhart on Saturday September 21.

Mowi North Division 1

Glengarry 4
Kinlochshiel 0

League leaders Glengarry maintained their title push with a 4-0 victory over the Kinlochshiel seconds at Craigard.

Kinlochshiel turned in a dogged first half performance and the contest was scoreless at the interval.

The second half was just a minute old when David Rodgers put Glengarry ahead.

Nick Dalgety made it 2-0 on 51 minutes and Ken Henderson added a third 10 minutes later.

Glengarry skipper Rhuairaidh MacDonald completed the scoring five minutes from time.

Glengarry host the Skye Camanachd second team this Saturday, whilst the title destination looks as if it will be decided over their final two fixtures against title rivals Newtonmore.

Elsewhere in the division, the Newtonmore reserves came from behind to beat the Kingussie reserves 3-1 at the Eilan. The game between the Lovat seconds and Aberdeen University at Balgate will be rescheduled.

Mowi South Division 1

Lochside Rovers 0
Aberdour 3

Lochside Rovers and Aberdour met in a top of the table clash at Mossfield.
Aberdour have led the division for a number of weeks and reigning champions Lochside were their only real challengers.

Aberdour knew a win would give them the title ahead of their final match at Ballachulish.

Although Lochside went into the clash ten points behind, they had four matches in hand.

With George Easton and Andrew Pearson, assisted by Gareth Evans, taking Lochside for the remainder of the season, they were without Craig Easton and Blair MacFarlane who travelled with Oban Camanachd. Michael MacQueen returned from injury to take a place on the bench. Dougie MacDonald was in goal with Gavin Stobbart and Chrissie MacMillan in defence and Ross Campbell at full centre.

Lochside’s Lewis Buchanan came off injured midway through the first half, although he returned later in the game.

There were no goals following a physical first half and Lochside were reduced to 11 players when they lost Scott Robertson early in the second half. Robertson, who collected a first half booking, received a second yellow card after consultation between referee Des McNulty and the goal judge.

Aberdour made the most of their one man advantage with Angus Thorburn scoring on 52 minutes to give them the lead.

It remained that way until Jack Mitchell grabbed a clinching second goal with 10 minutes remaining.

Tom Bowerman put gloss on the win with a goal on the stroke of full-time. Bowerman ran through to beat keeper Dougie MacDonald to the ball before knocking it into the net to make it 3-0.

The win and title success gave Aberdour boss Lisa MacColl the perfect birthday present and the Fife side, who were only founded in 2001, will be presented with the league trophy following their match at Ballachulish which is scheduled for Saturday September 21.

Next up for Lochside is a trip to Tayforth this Saturday. The Oban side round off the season with four consecutive matches over four Saturdays starting with Col Glen’s visit to Oban on Saturday September 21 before trips to Kyles Athletic and Ballachulish, concluding with Taynuilt in Oban.

Taynuilt 6
Kyles Athletic 1

Tighnabruaich had been scheduled to host two matches but, on Friday afternoon, the clash between the Kyles Athletic colts and Taynuilt was reversed to Taynuilt Playing Fields with a 12.30pm throw-up.

And it was Taynuilt who powered to a 6-1 victory with a sparkling performance.

Kyles took the lead through Kyle Mcmartin on five minutes but Billy Irving equalised a minute later.

Zander Kilmurray on the half-hour and Craig MacIntyre on 42 minutes made it 3-1 to Taynuilt at the break.

Zander Kilmurray got his second on 72 minutes and Jamie MacFarlane made it 5-1 three minutes later.

Billy Irving’s second goal of the game on 78 minutes rounded off the impressive 6-1 victory.

Inveraray 5
Col Glen 3

The Inveraray colts moved off the bottom of the table after beating Col Glen 5-3 at Inveraray. Campbell Watt grabbed a hat-trick whilst Euan McMurdo and Andrew McMurdo got the others. Andrew McMurdo’s hat-trick counted for Col Glen.

Mowi North Division 2

Lochcarron 6
Inverness 0

Lochcarron stay in pole position in North 2 after beating the Inverness second team 6-0 at Battery Park.

Strathspey Camanachd remain on their tails after overcoming Lewis Camanachd 8-0 at Grantown Grammar School. The noon throw-up between the Kilmallie and Beauly second teams at Canal Parks was postponed following the passing of former Kilmallie youth player Matthew Duncan.

Mowi South Division 2

Kilmory 1
Glenorchy 0

The much-anticipated title-decider between Kilmory and Glenorchy took place at MacRae Park.

The sides went into this 2pm throw-up level on points and although Glenorchy had the better goal difference, the rules stated a draw would trigger a play-off match to decide the trophy destination.

Kilmory took the title with Alister MacArthur scoring the only goal of the match on 18 minutes.

Referee Robert Baxter awarded the hosts a penalty after Kilmory full forward Hal Jones and Glenorchy full back Findlay Ross battled for possession at the edge of the box.

As Jones turned and was about to shoot, Ross fell onto the ball, putting himself in a dangerous position and the referee pointed to the spot.
Designated penalty taker Alister MacArthur stepped up and did his usual efficient job, with his clean strike going above the keeper’s head and into the net.

Glenorchy created chances to draw level but they found Kilmory keeper Steven Gilmour and his defence in top form as they played their part in the title-winning victory.

Strathdearn Cup Final – preview

The Newtonmore second team and the Fort William second team meet in the final of the Strathdearn Cup for the second successive season, with this year’s clash at Bught Park, Inverness, on Saturday August 31.

Newtonmore won last year’s final 4-0 with Calum Stewart scoring twice. However Stewart will miss this weekend’s final through suspension.
The sides have met just the once this season when a Craig MacLeod double helped Newtonmore to a 4-2 league win at the Eilan.

Fort William are fourth in Mowi North Division 1, a point behind second-placed Newtonmore who have played three matches fewer.
Holders Newtonmore won 4-0 at Kinlochshiel in the opening round of this year’s competition. They followed that up with a 5-3 quarter-final success at Lovat and then a 2-1 victory over their Glenurquhart counter-parts in the semi-finals.

Fort William defeated Strathglass 2-0 at Cannich in the first round. Their quarter-final tie against Kingussie at the Dell finished 3-3 after extra-time with the Fort winning the resultant penalty shoot-out. Fort William were too strong for lower league Kilmallie in the semis as they romped to a 7-0 success.

Both sides have fine young goalkeepers with Scotland U17 cap Calum Grover between the sticks for Newtonmore with Stuart Disher, who was outstanding in the quarter-final victory over Kingussie, in goal for the Fort.

Throw-up in Inverness is at 4pm and Steven MacLachlan is the match referee.