Fort dog owner’s fury after pet swallows discarded fishing hook

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

A Fort William dog owner has slammed those responsible for not properly disposing of angling line and a razor sharp fishing hook which ended up with her pet being rushed to Glasgow where vets carried out an emergency operation.

Breagha the Patterdale needed emergency surgery in Glasgow. NO F31 Bethany dog
Breagha the Patterdale needed emergency surgery in Glasgow.
NO F31 Bethany dog

Bethany Henderson, of Kilmallie Road, told the Lochaber Times how her year-old Patterdale terrier Breagha had been out for her usual walk along the Caol shoreline.

‘But we arrived home to find fishing line attached in her mouth. She was acting her usual self, but we took her to the vet just in case, got her X-rayed and found there was a fishing hook stuck in her oesophagus,’ said Bethany.

‘The vet thought it was best to rush her down to Glasgow to get the hook surgically removed as soon as possible.

‘We arrived in Glasgow to find the hook had moved and had entered her stomach and was close to puncturing her stomach lining.’

The discarded fishing lure and hook which vets removed from Breagha during emergency surgery. NO F31 Bethany Dog 03
The discarded fishing lure and hook which vets removed from Breagha during emergency surgery.

Thankfully, Bethany got a call from the vet in Glasgow the following morning to say the surgery had gone well and Breagha was out of immediate danger.

Bethany says she is going public about the incident to raise awareness of the dangers posed by rubbish not being properly disposed of.

‘This could’ve been anyone affected by the fishing hook. Please remember to pick up your litter. Thankfully we have insurance – the cost [of veterinary treatment] was more than £5,000 and is on-going as Breagha needs more antibiotics.’

Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn told the Lochaber Times: ‘We are saddened to hear of this incident and hope the dog recovers quickly.

‘The vast majority of fishermen are responsible and take care to clear away their equipment.

‘However, anyone fishing is reminded not to leave their litter as they could seriously injure or even kill wildlife or pets.’

 

CAPTION:

Bethany with Breagha after the dog’s operation.

NO F31 Bethany and Breagha