Shinty round-up

The victorious Lochside Rovers team. Lovat v Lochside Rovers in the HIS Sutherland Cup Final, Played at Canal Parks, Caol, Fort William.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now
HIS Sutherland Cup final

Lovat 1
Lochside Rovers 2
After extra time

Lochside Rovers lifted the HIS Sutherland Cup for the second time in three years, defeating the Lovat second team 2-1 after extra time in their 4pm throw-up at Canal Parks.

Lochside last won this national trophy in 2017, with Lovat’s previous success in 2010.

A good-sized crowd gathered for the final with both clubs well-represented on the touchline.

Lochside Rovers captain Jordan Kerr lifts the HIS Sutherland Cup. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Lochside thought they had taken the lead midway through the first half when Lewis Buchanan rifled a great shot high into the Lovat net, but goal judge Peter Jackson flagged for a Lochside player being in the ‘D’ and the ‘goal’ was chalked off.

Lovat had to make an early change when Cameron MacMillan was forced off after taking a knock, but he returned to midfield mid-way through the second half. James MacKenzie took over before he himself was withdrawn.

Lochside introduced Iain MacMillan midway through the first half which helped them gain control of the centre line.

Daniel Sloss entered the field of play at half-time to further boost Lochside’s chances.

Lovat were relying on Tom Collings and James Grieve to hold things together at the back but Lochside eventually made the breakthrough on 71 minutes. Ross Campbell capitalised on loose marking as he found space around three yards outside the ‘D’ and sent a shoulder-high shot to Lovat keeper and captain Ronan MacMillan’s left and into the net to make it 1-0.

Almost straight from the re-start, Lovat drew level. Raymond Rennie fired a trademark powerful finish through a crowded goal area and although Lochside keeper Gavin Stobbart tried to move to the ball, the speed of the waist-high strike gave him no chance.

There was a fierce battle between Lochside full back Chrissie MacMillan and Lovat dangerman Raymond Rennie, who at one point required stitches to a finger injury, and MacMillan received a yellow card from referee Andy MacLean for bringing down Rennie as he made for goal.

Lovat lost defender James Grieve before the 90 minutes were up as he suffered a back injury after a Michael MacQueen challenge.

Lochside dominated extra time, controlling the centre line. The winning goal came on 97 minutes when a clearance out of the Lovat defence came to Lewis Buchanan and he fired a great shot from distance into the net to make it 2-1.

Lochside’s Lewis Buchanan celebrates scoring the winner in the HIS Sutherland Cup final.
Photograph: Neil Paterson.

The closest Lovat came to a leveller was a late James Matheson shot from the left which went across goal but an equaliser would have been harsh on Lochside who created more chances and deserved their win over the two hours of shinty.

The only downside for Lochside was Evan MacLellan’s bad hand injury. Craig MacDougall came on in his place.

After the final whistle, Lochside skipper Jordan Kerr was presented with the Sutherland Cup by Garry MacKintosh from sponsors HIS with the Camanachd Association president also in attendance.

Lochside Rovers manager Brian MacCallum said: ‘We got the result we wanted. We created plenty chances during the game but Lovat were well-organised and quite difficult to break down. If we’d taken our chances, we’d have been fine but frustration started to creep in but we got there.

‘The whole squad did well but Iain ‘Scally’ MacMillan, Chrissie MacMillan and Ross Campbell were big players for us. Lovat’s Laura Gallacher was excellent.

‘That’s a trophy each for ourselves and the seniors already this season. We each have another final to look forward to and with plenty more to play for; it is such a positive time for the club right now.’

Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-finals

Glasgow Mid Argyll 1
Oban Camanachd 4

Oban Camanachd reached their second cup final of the season when they scored four times in the first half to beat Glasgow Mid Argyll 4-1 in their Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-final at Mossfield.

Oban Camanachd started at a good pace but National Division side GMA showed they weren’t there to make up the numbers when Calum McLay’s strike went narrowly wide of Cameron Sutherland’s far post.

The Oban side started to carve out chances of their own and former Oban Camanachd keeper Robert Dunnings, who had a terrific game in goal, did well to keep out Daniel Cameron’s effort on the angle following a clever free-hit routine.

The game’s opening goal came on 19 minutes. Willie Neilson’s snap-shot was saved by keeper Dunnings, but Daniel MacVicar was first to react and settled Oban nerves by turning the rebound home.

Six minutes later it was 2-0. Daniel Cameron did well to knock the ball down into the path of Andrew MacCuish who took a touch to his right side before blasting a waist-high shot past the keeper.

Oban Camanachd had one foot in the final on 31 minutes. Andrew MacCuish played in Daniel Cameron with a free-hit. Robert Dunnings saved Cameron’s low shot but a visiting defender was deemed to have ‘kicked’ the ball and Andrew MacCuish did his usual efficient job from the resultant spot-hit, striking it low and hard into the net.

Oban Camanachd continued to pile on the pressure, with Lorne Dickie controlling the midfield, and they had chances before adding a fourth goal a minute before the break. The ball was worked forward from midfield and Daniel MacVicar took a Scott MacMillan ball down before volleying home to make it 4-0.

GMA came more into it in the second half, although they still had to rely on Robert Dunnings to make a couple of smart stops with his feet.
Oban Camanachd introduced Gary McKerracher and Keith MacMillan for the final third of the game.

Brian Slattery, who had been switched forward from his midfield role to attack, pulled a goal back with six minutes remaining when he sent a looping shot high into the net to make it 4-1.

Oban Camanachd’s winning run now stands at 12 matches and they maintain their tag as shinty’s form team.

A second final of the season awaits on Saturday August 17 when Kingussie are Oban Camanachd’s opponents in the Artemis Macaulay Cup Final at Mossfield.

Kingussie are also the Oban side’s next opponents as they meet in the league at Mossfield this Saturday.

Oban Camanachd’s ‘Papa’ MacCuish takes on the Mid Argyll defence during last Saturday’s Macaulay Cup semi-final at Mossfield.
Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Kingussie 2
Newtonmore 1

Ruaridh Anderson’s late strike gave Kingussie a 2-1 win over Badenoch rivals Newtonmore in their semi-final at Braeview Park. Kingussie’s James Hutchison was out with a broken finger, whilst Newtonmore missed an entire forward line in Evan Menzies, Michael Russell, Glen MacKintosh and Ewen Fraser.

Newtonmore, opening with the wind advantage, made a strong start as they swarmed all over Kingussie during the first half hour of the tie but all they had to show for their pressure was a Jamie Robinson goal after four minutes.

Kingussie equalised right on half-time. A long Kieran MacPherson ball dropped in front of box. There was a scramble before the ball was eventually cleared out, but it came to Ryan MacWilliam who was standing on the right side, around 25 yards out. MacWilliam stopped the ball before unleashing a really good strike which took a deflection off a raised Newtonmore stick. Newtonmore keeper Kenny Ross just managed to get his finger-tips to the ball, above his head, but couldn’t keep it out.

Newtonmore made a change at the break as Ryan Spinks came on for Craig Ritchie, although Ritchie came back on mid-way through the second half when he went to centre with Steven Macdonald dropping to wing back and Ryan Spinks pushed up to wing forward.

Neil Stewart also came off the Newtonmore bench but later went off injured.
With the wind now in their favour, Kingussie dominated the second half, but Kenny Ross didn’t have many serious saves to make. That was largely down to excellent full back play from Newtonmore’s Rory Kennedy who held the defence together at times.

Rory MacGregor in the Kingussie goal was the busier of the two keepers.
The winning goal came with 13 minutes remaining and it was a cracker.
Roddy Young had possession out wide on the right and played the ball across, but it took a deflection, coming out to Ruaridh Anderson who took a touch before hitting a glorious drive into the roof of the net from 20 yards.

Mowi Premiership

Lochaber 2
Inveraray 3

Inveraray saw off a Lochaber come back to win 3-2 in their relegation battle at Spean Bridge.

Inveraray started strongly and took the lead in the opening minute when Lewis MacNicol won the ball in midfield and found Garry MacPherson driving through the middle. He turned Duncan MacKinnon inside-out before flicking an inch-perfect ball to Fraser Watt on the left of the ‘D’ who slammed the ball high into the middle of the goal from 12 yards to make it 1-0.

Lochaber had their first shot on goal on six minutes when Ben Delaney found space on the left, but his strike went wide of the left-hand post.
Inveraray were showing good movement up front and increased their advantage on nine minutes. The goal came from a corner. Garry MacPherson caught the Lochaber defence napping as he played the ball low from a wide area towards the front post where full centre Lewis MacNicol waltzed into the box and his first-time shot beat the helpless Callum MacDonald to make it 2-0.

Lochaber keeper Mac-Donald pulled off a great save on 20 minutes as he blocked Garry MacPherson’s fine drive from the left with his chest before clearing the ball to safety.

Inveraray keeper Scott MacLauchlan saves from Lochaber’s Ben Delaney. Photograph: Iain Ferguson, alba photos

Lochaber’s Ben Delaney and Stuart Callison tested Inveraray keeper Scott MacLachlan, but it was the Winterton side who would add a third goal on 29 minutes. Again the goal came from Lewis MacNicol winning possession, this time deep in Lochaber territory. He found the ever-alert Garry MacPherson whose defence-splitting pass picked out Fraser Watt running in unmarked through the heart of the Lochaber defence and he slotted the ball low past the keeper from close range.

Lochaber were now up against it but, on 41 minutes, Conor Sweeney took a corner from the right, sending the ball into the danger area. Stuart Callison found space to slam the ball goalwards and although Scott MacLachlan saved with his feet, he was unable to get the ball away and Ben Delaney was quick to react as he poked the ball over the line to make it 3-1 at the interval.
Lochaber started the second period with intent and Scott MacLachlan pulled off a great save to thwart Stuart Callison on 53 minutes.

Lochaber’s never-say-die attitude got them back into the match with five minutes remaining. Lachlan Campbell played the ball across from the right and it came perfectly to the on-running Findlay MacDonald and his 16-yard shot from the left flew past the keeper to make it 3-2, setting up a tense finish.

Lochaber had a great chance to snatch a point on 87 minutes when referee John Angus Gillies awarded them a spot-hit, penalising keeper MacLachlan for a ‘kick’ inside the ‘D’. Ben Delaney’s well-struck effort went straight down the middle and MacLachlan redeemed himself, saving superbly with his stick before clearing the ball for a corner.

Inveraray saw out the rest of the game to claim two valuable points in what was a cleanly-fought contest with no cards shown.
The win sets Inveraray up for another crucial relegation battle at Kilmallie this Saturday.

Caberfeidh 1
Kyles Athletic 4

Kyles Athletic came from behind to beat Caberfeidh 4-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Castle Leod.

Caberfeidh’s Kevin Bartlett missed out due to a one-match ban for passing through the disciplinary points threshold.

Kyles, who were returning to league action after a run of three cup ties, were without Callum Millar, Scott MacDonald, Grant Irvine, Paul MacArthur and George Thomson. Conor Kennedy was given a start and Donald Irvine was available again.

Caberfeidh have been on a scoring spree of late and took the lead in the opening minute through Craig Morrison.

It didn’t take Kyles long to level with Ross MacRae netting on six minutes and Colin MacDonald’s effort on 22 minutes meant they went into the break 2-1 ahead.

Ross MacRae got his second on 60 minutes, with Colin MacDonald doing like-wise with 10 minutes remaining.

Mowi National Division

Glenurquhart 3
Skye Camanachd 3

Second-placed Glenurquhart came from two goals down to draw 3-3 with third-placed Skye Camanachd at Blairbeg.

The opening goal came at the other end as James Pringle found space to score with a low finish on 11 minutes.

Skye’s second was a bit of a gift as the Glenurquhart keeper Stuart MacKintosh made an initial save, but he pushed the ball out straight to Skye’s Ross Gordon who scored from the edge of the ‘D’ to make it 2-0 with 31 minutes gone.

There was a second half flash-point for referee Graham Cameron to deal with when Connor Golabek got involved in a bit of a wrestling match. He was shown a red card, as was Skye’s Marcus Scott who only appeared to be trying to act as peace-maker.

This seemed to reinvigorate Glenurquhart and Neale Reid, who had dropped back to full centre after Michael Fraser was withdrawn, strode forward from the middle of the park. Reid wasn’t closed down and he hit the ball with pace to make it 2-1 after 66 minutes.

A nice finish from Ewan Brady on 81 minutes made it 2-2 and a draw seemed likely.

However Skye benefited when, with three minutes remaining, John Barr went for a high ball into the goal area and spectacularly smashed the ball into his own net to put Skye 3-2 ahead with three minutes remaining.
Glenurquhart’s James MacPherson had had a frustrating afternoon but, with the game into stoppage time, MacPherson gathered the ball on the wing. There seemed little danger until he bulleted the ball high into the net to earn his side an unlikely point.

Bute 1
Strathglass 1

Bute and Strathglass drew 1-1 in their relegation battle at the Meadows.
Penri Jones put the visitors ahead on 15 minutes, but Iain McDonald, back in the Bute side after missing their defeat at Skye a week earlier, drew the islanders level 15 minutes from time.

It was a mixed afternoon for former Scottish international McDonald as he was sent off by referee Lachie Wood in the final minute.

Mowi North Division 1

Caberfeidh 4
Glengarry 4

Glengarry came from behind to draw 4-4 with the Caberfeidh second team in their noon throw-up at Castle Leod.

Caberfeidh’s Martin MacDonald and Glengarry duo Shaun Sloggie and Finlay Nicolson were suspended.

Glengarry took the lead on 19 minutes when Nick Dalgety opened his account for the day.

Colin MacLennan scored on 20 minutes to make it 2-0 and there was a goal glut late in the half.

Colin MacLennan exchanged goals with Ruaraidh MacLeman on 44 minutes to give the hosts a 3-1 lead but Nick Dalgety got his second on 45 minutes to make it 3-2 at the break.

Nick Dalgety completed his hat-trick on 79 minutes to tie the match, whilst Raymond Robertson’s goal a minute later put Glengarry ahead for the first time in the match.

Caberfeidh were not to be denied though as Colin MacLennan completed his hat-trick on 82 minutes and the match finished 4-4.

Fort William 2
Kinlochshiel 2

The Fort William reserves and the Kinlochshiel reserves drew 2-2 at An Aird.

With no first team match, Kinlochshiel included Scotland U17 player Duncan Matheson who gave his side the lead on 42 minutes.
The match turned Fort William’s way with Greig Kelly on the hour and Hamish Shaw a couple minutes later putting the hosts 2-1 ahead.

Kinlochshiel’s David MacAskill made it 2-2 with 15 minutes remaining.
Elsewhere in the division, the Newtonmore colts are just two points off the top of the table with three games in hand on leaders Glengarry after they beat the Inverness first team 2-0. Murphy Henderson scored twice as the Skye Camanachd second team beat the Glenurquhart second team 2-0.

Mowi South Division 1

Inveraray 3
Kyles Athletic 0

The Inveraray seconds and the Kyles Athletic seconds met in a match originally re-arranged for Thursday July 20 which was put back 24 hours. Kane Kirkhope was playing in a more advanced role for Inveraray and he scored a well-taken goal in eight minutes after impressive forward play.

John MacKenzie was working hard in the middle of the park and set up Inveraray’s second goal on 53 minutes. MacKenzie found Campbell Watt who let go a 30-yard strike which gave the Kyles keeper no chance.

Inveraray sealed both points when Campbell Watt continued his good scoring run with his second goal of the game with 10 minutes remaining.

Elsewhere in the division, Ballachulish were 7-2 winners against Tayforth, whilst league leaders Aberdour enjoyed a crushing 7-0 win against the Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds.

Mowi North Division 2

Strathglass 0
Boleskine 0

Boleskine and the Strathglass second team battled out a scoreless draw at Cannich, with both keepers on top form.

Mowi South Division 2

Oban Celtic 6
Bute 0

The Oban Celtic colts beat the Bute colts 6-0 at Ganavan.
Bute travelled with just 11 players and fell behind to a Lennon Campbell goal after a couple of minutes.

Alex Galbraith added a brace on 16 and 20 minutes and a second from Lennon Campbell on 26 minutes made it 4-0.

Scott Burnett added a fifth with five first half minutes remaining.
Oban Celtic’s John Douglas scored the only goal of the second half on 67 minutes.

The win lifts the Oban Celtic colts to third in the table and completes a good league campaign for the squad.