Red and blacks travel on cup duty to Kinlochshiel

Kevin Thain (Kingussie) with Lovat’s Bailey Mackay. Lovat v Kingussie in the North Division 1 game, played at Balgate, Kiltarlity.

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – quarter-finals
Newtonmore 2
Skye Camanachd 1
Holders Newtonmore are through to the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup semi-finals after coming from behind to beat Skye Camanachd 2-1 in their 3pm throw up at the Eilan.

Newtonmore started brightly and they dominated the early exchanges.
Skye edged into the game and they looked dangerous on the counter-attack. Jordan Murchison came close with a brilliant effort that just skimmed the front of the post.

Skye shocked their hosts when they took the lead on 12 minutes with a neatly worked goal which started from a clearance out of defence and ended with Iain MacLellan’s quick turn and blistering low drive that gave ‘More keeper Kenny Ross little chance.

Skye kicked on during a sparkling 30-minute spell, with shots from Jordon Murchison, Iain MacLellan, Ross Gordon and Ross MacKinnon all going close.

When Ross Gordon’s strike was not dealt with by Kenny Ross, Jordan Murchison looked destined to touch the ball into the net, but it would not fall quick enough and the ‘More defence scrambled the ball out for a corner.

A rocket shot from Ian Robinson was heading for the top corner of the net but Skye keeper Ryan Morrison produced a fantastic save to keep his side in front.

The Islanders knew any lapse in concentration would be punished and their defence, with Ally MacDonald excellent as he played only his second 90 minutes over the last year, saw out the remainder of the half.

Newtonmore brought Andy MacKintosh into the centre line at the break and they started the second half well without threatening the Skye goal.
The key battles were in the middle off the park and the Skye defence was closing out the Newtonmore attack.

However Skye weren’t finding the same fluency as in the first half and two half-chances in a minute proved their undoing as ‘More pulled the rug from under their feet.

The first came on 56 minutes when a ball from out on the left came into the D and Ian Robinson finished nicely, slotting the ball under the on-rushing Ryan Morrison.

Just a minute later, a ball from deep landed just outside the D and an instinctive first-time low shot from Glen MacKintosh went through a packed goal area, beating keeper Morrison who saw the shot late with no time to react.

Skye picked themselves up and went looking for an equaliser but Newtonmore are masters at protecting a lead and Marcus Scott’s shot from distance was one of Skye’s few attempts at goal.

The game ended in controversy when a Newtonmore goal-hit was won in midfield by Skye with the ball played forward to an unmarked Jordan Murchison 20 yards from goal. Murchison raised his stick to shoot but referee Graham Cameron blew for full-time, much to Skye’s frustration as they claimed there were still a couple of minutes remaining.

Kingussie 1
Kyles Athletic 1
Savio Genini’s goal a couple of minutes from time earned Kingussie a replay from their tie against Kyles Athletic at the Dell.

Kingussie had most of the play in the first half when Kyles Athletic keeper John Whyte made a number of good saves.

Ross MacRae had a chance through on goal before Colin MacDonald gave Kyles the lead just three minutes into the second half.

Colin MacDonald could have had a second, spurning a gilt-edged chance from the edge of the D.

Kyles had most of the second half although it took a great John Whyte save; tipping a well-struck Savio Genini penalty over the bar, after Roddy Macdonald had kicked the ball inside the D, to keep his side in front.

It looked as Colin MacDonald’s goal might just be enough to send Kyles through until Savio Genini levelled with just two minutes from time. Genini ran onto Ruaridh Anderson’s free-hit and, from the edge of the box, he hit the ball on his back-hand with his effort taking a deflection off a defender on its way past the keeper.

The sides will replay at Tighnabruaich this coming Saturday.

Caberfeidh 7
Lochaber 4
Caberfeidh reached the semi-finals for the first time since 1963 when they beat Lochaber 7-4 at Castle Leod. Robbie Brindle gave Cabers a five-minute lead but Findlay Macdonald levelled on 24 minutes.

However Cabers pulled away late in the half as Kevin Bartlett on 34 minutes, Craig Morrison on 41 minutes and Ally MacLennan a couple of minutes later made it 4-1 at the break.

Two substitutes put Lochaber right back into it as Pat Toal on 58 minutes and Max Campbell on the hour made it 4-3.

Cabers pulled away for a second time as second strikes from Kevin Bartlett on 67 minutes and Robbie Brindle on 70 minutes made it 6-3 before Ally MacLennan scored again to add a seventh 10 minutes later.

Pat Toal got his second four minutes from time to make the final score 7-4.
The remaining Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup quarter-final tie between Kinlochshiel and Oban Camanachd takes place at Kirkton this coming Saturday.

Mowi Premiership
Kilmallie 4
Kinlochshiel 3
Kilmallie saw off a Kinlochshiel fight-back to eventually win 4-3 in their 3pm throw up at the Canal Parks.

Kilmallie got off to a great start with Daniel Stewart’s 25-yard rocket flying into the top corner of the net after just 30 seconds.

Stewart got his and Kilmallie’s second with a low finish on the edge of the D after nine minutes. Indeed Stewart could have had a hat-trick but his effort was ruled out by referee Calum Girvan for a foul in the lead up.

The third Kilmallie goal came on 25 minutes, with Liam MacDonald displaying some powerful play before despatching a well-struck low drive from the edge of the D.

MacDonald then had to go off with a knee injury so Calum MacDougall replaced him.

Lewis Birrell, who started well, also had to be replaced, suffering from a suspected broken toe. Iain MacIntyre came on and the match had not yet reached the 30 minute mark.

After Kilmallie’s great start, Kinlochshiel came more into the game and they started to eat into the host’s 3-0 lead.

Ali Nixon pulled a goal back on 39 minutes, taking advantage following a poor defensive clearance.

‘Shiel were pushing hard now and Kilmallie struggled to contain them.

The loss of Liam MacDonald at half forward was allowing Mark MacDonald and Conor Cormack to dominate the game.

The Kilmallie defence was under constant pressure and home keeper Shane Gillies made some outstanding saves.

However their resistance was broken when Jordan Fraser scored on 61 and 63 minutes to make it 3-3.

Fraser’s first came when a shot in on the keeper bounced up and he knocked the ball home.

Then, from 35 yards range, Fraser’s shot hit a big divot before bouncing into the top corner of the net.

Ryan Stewart replaced Andrew Mcalister at wing centre for Kilmallie for the last 20 minutes and the fresh legs helped the home side reassert themselves.

Liam MacDonald was patched up and put on for the last 15 minutes, replacing Craig MacIsaac, to try and win play back at half forward.

This helped Kilmallie hold the ball up, taking some much needed pressure off the home defence.

And it was Liam MacDonald who set up Calum MacDougall with 5 remaining and MacDougall sent an angled, low shot into the bottom corner of the net with what proved to be the winner.

Kilmallie held on to take both points, lifting them above Lochaber again and out of the relegation zone.

Lovat 1
Inveraray 0
Marc MacLachlan scored on the stroke of half-time as Lovat ended a six-match winless run, defeating bottom side Inveraray 1-0 in their 3pm throw up at Balgate.

After taking 10 minutes to settle into the match, Inveraray showed the more urgency and the closest they came to a goal was on 32 minutes when a Craig Taylor shot smacked off Stuart MacDonald’s crossbar.

Lewis MacNicol then saw a shot well-saved by keeper MacDonald with just a couple of first half minutes remaining.

However it was Lovat who went in front following the last action of the first half. Marc MacLachlan pulled the ball down 22 yards out with his back to goal and he spun round before sending a great waist-high shot into the net.

Where-as Inveraray had the better of the first half, Lovat seemed galvanised after the break played at a much higher tempo from the restart, pressuring the visiting goal.

Calum MacAulay set up Greg Matheson on 51 minutes but Inveraray goalie Scott MacLachlan made a good save. The rebound came back out to Matheson and this time he hit the post.

Lovat’s Cameron MacMillan took over from Mitchell Leslie with Calum MacAulay going to wing centre and Inveraray player / manager Ruaraidh Graham replaced Craig Taylor soon after.

A good ball from Duncan Davidson found Greg Matheson on 72 minutes. Matheson first went to shoot on his back-hand before striking the ball on his right side but Scott MacLachlan made a great save, turning the ball away for a corner.

Just three minutes later, Matheson tested MacLachlan again with his effort heading inside the post but the keeper turned the ball away with his hand.

Stuart MacDonald threw himself to deny Allan MacDonald a leveller five minutes from time. The ball ran out towards the corner flag where Lewis Montgomery raised his stick on Graeme MacMillan and was then promptly sent off by referee Deek Cameron.

Mowi National Division
Oban Celtic 1
Glasgow Mid Argyll 1
Ryan Harrison scored just three minutes from time to give Glasgow Mid Argyll a 1-1 draw with Oban Celtic at Mossfield.

GMA lost Nathan Whear to a nasty head knock after around 15 minutes. Whear came in on the blind side as Andy MacDonald swung at the ball and the accidental clash led to a five- to six-minute break in play as Whear was treated before leaving the field.

Ross MacMillan sent two efforts high and wide before GMA keeper Robert Dunnings pulling off some top saves as he was tested by Ross MacMillan Lennon Campbell and Daniel MacMillan with MacMillan also hitting the post with a blistering shot.

Oban Celtic took the lead on 51 minutes through Daniel MacMillan. Lewis MacPhee played the ball upfield where Ross MacMillan picked up possession and although his attempt was saved by the keeper; both Daniel MacMillan and Lennon Campbell ran in on the rebound with Daniel MacMillan flicking the ball past the keeper to score.

Ross MacMillan had a chance to double the lead when Scott Turnbull flicked the ball to him 15 yards out but keeper Dunnings made a good save from MacMillan’s low shot on the angle.

There was a flashpoint on 72 minutes when Peter Currie and Oliver MacRae challenged. Craig MacMillan stepped in to clear the ball and MacRae took exception to his swing and pulled the Oban man to the ground. Referee Des McNulty stepped in and showed a straight red card to both MacRae and MacMillan with the Oban bench pleading their player’s innocence.

This all made for a frantic end to the match and Oban Celtic claimed for a penalty when Dunnings missed a ball into the D and Scott Turnbull took two heavy challenges from behind as he shielded the ball but the referee waved away the claims.

When the ball was played out of the danger-area, GMA won a free-hit deep inside their own half which was played up the park and Ryan Harrison, who had been pushed up front, got a couple of yards on his marker before sending a good strike across the keeper into the bottom corner of the net to makethe final score 1-1.

Bute 0
Fort William 6
Fort William made it 10 wins out of 10 as they maintained their 100 per cent league record, overcoming Bute 6-0 at the Meadows.

Lewis Morrison finished off a well-worked move to fire Fort William a 12-minute lead. Lachie Shaw slipped the ball to Morrison who was unmarked about 12 yards out on the right and his firm strike sent the ball high into the side-netting.

Arran MacPhee opened his account on 38 minutes, collecting the ball on the right wing before dribbling inside towards the penalty spot and shooting on his back-hand, scoring low into the goal.

It was Arran MacPhee again on 42 minutes when he went one-to-one with the keeper and he took the ball around the goalie before knocking it into the open net.

Alexander MacMillan made it 4-0 on 51 minutes when he collected the ball from a corner, in among a clutch of players, and he took a couple of delightful touches before pushing the ball past the goalkeeper.

Arran MacPhee continued his good scoring streak when he completed his hat-trick on the hour – his 20-yard shot went through a crowded goal area, past an unsighted keeper, and into the corner of the goal.

Fort William’s sixth came a minute from time when Bute defender Ryan Craig tried to stop a speculative cross-come-shot from Calum Shepherd but ended up deflecting the ball by the keeper to make it 6-0.

Glenurquhart 7
Beauly 0
James MacPherson scored four goals for the second successive match as Glenurquhart beat Beauly 7-0 in their 3pm throw up at Blairbeg.

Bullough Cup – semi-finals
Lochside Rovers 6
Kyles Athletic 2
Holders Lochside Rovers reached the Bullough Cup Final after defeating the Kyles Athletic second team 6-2 in their semi-final tie at Ganavan. These teams met in last year’s final and Lochside did the damage in the first half.

Ruaraidh Horne gave the Oban side the perfect start with a goal after just two minutes. Horne went on a mazy run before finishing into the top corner of the net.

Michael MacQueen, who was excellent throughout, made it 2-0 on 10 minutes following a goalmouth scramble.

Lewis Buchanan then turned home a half volley following a Jamie MacGillivray corner on 35 minutes.

Michael MacQueen got his second on 41 minutes with a thunderous low drive into the corner of the goal.

Lewis Buchanan got his second a minute before the break, shooting home low to the left to make it 5-0 at half-time.

Lochside saved the best until last as Jamie MacGillivray scored the goal of the match 49 minutes. David Lafferty played the ball on to Ruaraidh Horne and Lewis Buchanan dummied Horne’s ball which came to Jamie MacGillivray and he gave the keeper no chance with a shot into the top corner of the goal.

Lochside switched off late on and Luke Thornton punished a defensive slip on 79 minutes, scoring from the edge of the D, before Marcus Keith made it 6-2 just three minutes later. The win means Lochside have clinched a second cup final spot in successive matches having already sealed a place in the Sutherland Cup Final.

Glenorchy 1
Glasgow Mid Argyll 1
(Mid Argyll won 1-0 on pens)
Glenorchy created the better chances before Seb MacMillan, who had gone close just a minute earlier, gathered a corner at the back post on 23 minutes and his strike deflected off a home defender on its way into the roof of the net.

MacMillan had another effort ruled out for offside before the break and the home side came within a whisker of levelling on the stroke of half-time when John Sartain’s shot from distance came back off the post.

Glenorchy’s Kieran McKay equalised a couple of minutes into the second half, collecting a long Lennan MacKechnie ball out of defence before blasting a head-height shot home on his left side.

The Glasgow side’s chances suffered a blow when Ruaraidh MacLeod was sent off by referee Euan Pearson.

With no further scoring during a thoroughly entertaining 120 minutes of shinty, the tie went to a penalty shoot-out.

Again keepers Andrew Smith and Jonathon Oates were on top form with GMA’s Ewan Murray converting the only and decisive spot-hit.

So the GMA seconds will play Lochside in the final with the sides scheduled to meet in the league in Glasgow this coming Saturday.

Mowi North Division 1
Aberdeen University 2
Fort William 4
The Fort William second team scored three times in the final 10 minutes to beat Aberdeen University 4-2 at Balgownie.

The Fort, with Davie Duncan free of suspension, took a six-minute lead through Dean Williamson.

Rowan Myers pulled the Students level on 20 minutes and the same player gave the hosts a 2-1 lead a minute after the restart.

And that’s the way it stayed until 10 minutes from time when Grant Disher equalised for the Fort. Fort William player/manager Neil Robertson scored a rare goal a minute later to make it 3-2, and promising youngster Alexander Kennedy added a fourth a minute from time to complete the 4-2 triumph.

Elsewhere in the division, the Lovat seconds and the Kingussie seconds drew 2-2 at the Balgate, the Skye Camanachd colts and Inverness first team drew 1-1 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, the Newtonmore reserves beat the Kinlochshiel reserves 2-0 at the Eilan, and the Glenurquhart seconds scored twice late in the game to beat the Caberfeidh seconds 5-3 at Blairbeg.

Mowi South Division 1
Ballachulish 4
Inveraray 1
Ballachulish overcame the Inveraray colts 4-1 at the Jubilee Park to go second in the division.

Lorne Brown gave Balla’ a 42-minute lead with the only goal of the first half and he added a second on 48 minutes.

David Grant made it 3-0 on 51 minutes with Dougie Rankin adding a fourth on the hour. David Robertson scored a consolation goal for Inveraray a minute from time.

Mowi North Division 2
Boleskine 3
Beauly 2
Boleskine dealt a blow to the Beauly second team’s title chances, winning 3-2 at Smith Park.

The Strathglass second team beat Lewis Camanachd 3-1 at Shawbost.

The games between the Kilmallie reserves and Strathspey Camanachd at the Canal Parks, and Lochcarron and the Inverness seconds at Battery Park will be rescheduled.